Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Always Rakzo

Default Robin #1 Discussion/Spoilers

I admitedly wasn't looking forward to even more Batbooks after being constantly disappointed with the current direction of the line along with recent releases. However, I just couldn't say no to the always on-point Joshua Williamson and a new take on the Son of the Bat that most certainly just had a promising start.

Williamson follows the set-up he created during his backup stories in the Batman books that puts Damian in a new path where he has to face some of the deadliest warriors that have ever existed. As usual for Williamson, you can expect a lot of attention to continuity and there are certainly many references about classic DC fighters like Richard Dragon, Bronze Tiger and even a few more obscure ones, it was cool to see Raptor once again with his fun personality.

The characterization seems sound with the writer creating a logical explanation for Damian to choose this new course in his life, particularly focusing on the death of Alfred along with all the recent events that have happened in the Batman universe. I must say that I much prefer this kind of character work than the one that, let's say, James Tynion IV has been doing all over Batman. Not to mention that there are a few fun details like Damian being a fan of Manga.

And I guess what most of us were excited about was the reintroduction of Connor Hawke, the son of Green Arrow, into current continuity and I must say I was expecting... more. Connor's name simply gets dropped into the story and appears in a little panel. For an event that seemed so important and hyped, I was hoping for a more impressive entrance. Then again, I trust Williamson to handle the character better than whatever the hell Ben Percy was planning on Green Arrow a few years ago (Speaking of which, Constantine Drakon also gets a cameo and will hopefully be better treated than how Percy did).

The story progresses at a fast pace with many exciting moments based on action scenes and a pretty surprising cliffhanger.

Gleb Melnikov's semi-cartoony artwork is perfect for the fluid fight segments and creates a good range of expressions for the characters.

Great beginning, can't wait for the next one.

I really enjoyed the first issue! Very promising!

Since it was mostly just setting the stage, not too much too discuss yet. But I think this will be a very very promising run!

Very good issue, the art does an amazing job at capturing the fighting, and all the characters look cool.

I only have one real thing to say.

spoilers:
    FATALITY!
    end of spoilers
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

This comic has POTENTIAL..

I did not felt like that since Robin:Son of Batman.

Last page was shocking but made me understand Robin 2 cover.

I really loved it. I love Gleb's art, it fits the story perfectly, and I love the emotional foundation Williamson set. It's something I can relate a lot, to be honest.

I'm really excited to see how it goes!

Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    Very good issue, the art does an amazing job at capturing the fighting, and all the characters look cool.

I only have one real thing to say.

spoilers:
    FATALITY!
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    Fatality... or Flatline? wink wink
    end of spoilers

Damian really misses Alfred... Poor Guy.

BANNED

The two good things out of the first issue is Damian getting humiliated and this variant cover

Quote Originally Posted by prepmaster View Post
    The two good things out of the first issue is Damian getting humiliated and this variant cover
    Yeah, that's Damian's mom. What about her?

Incredible Member

As a fan of the Enter the Dragon and Bloodsport films, I really loved this.

I'm guessing Lazarus Island has Lazarus pits.

Very enjoyable issue. The pacing was spot on too. Can't wait to see what happens next

Incredible Member Light of Justice's Avatar

Oracle and Batfam : Damian is completely disappeared, he left no clue, he’s super off the grid we can’t track him with our mumbo jumbo technologies, he’s a ghost, he’s been trained well to cover his track.

Meanwhile Damian, in front of dozens trained killers : Hello, I am Robin, I am fourteen years old, my dad is Batman, my mother and grandfather are Al Ghuls, and I have words D and W on my clothes because reasons.

God, I really love comics logic.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Light of Justice View Post
    Oracle and Batfam : Damian is completely disappeared, he left no clue, he’s super off the grid we can’t track him with our mumbo jumbo technologies, he’s a ghost, he’s been trained well to cover his track.

Meanwhile Damian, in front of dozens trained killers : Hello, I am Robin, I am fourteen years old, my dad is Batman, my mother and grandfather are Al Ghuls, and I have words D and W on my clothes because reasons.

God, I really love comics logic.
    In fairness, he only did that once he was on the island.

spoilers:
    Not at all shocked that Damian mouthing off and then being humbled was the first thing to happen when he got on this island. The more things change, the more they stay the same I suppose XD

What I WASN'T expecting was him getting straight up fatality'd like that. Can't say he didn't have it coming. Now to wait for the next issue and figure out what actually happened.

Seeing Damian read a little slice of life manga was cute. And with a smile on his face, at that. He always struck me as more of a shounen type of guy but this doesn't surprise me at all. His life is already a shounen manga so I could see him wanting some kind of normalcy.

Speaking of normal, he should probably see someone about those Alfred hallucinations lol. At least he recognizes that it's not real though.
    end of spoilers

Astonishing Member OopsIdiditagain's Avatar

Flatline reminds me of Killua
    december 21st has passed where are my superpowers?

Quote Originally Posted by OopsIdiditagain View Post
    Flatline reminds me of Killua
    That heart move was straight out of Hunter X Hunter wasn't it? She even did it with no blood, like Killua talked about his dad being able to do.

Guess it makes sense. All these years of people comparing Damian and Jon to Killua and Gon. Now he's found the real Killua XD