Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by hairys View Post
    As a fan of the Enter the Dragon and Bloodsport films, I really loved this.

I'm guessing Lazarus Island has Lazarus pits.
    Yeah, pretty obvious that spoilers:
    having been killed, he'll be resurrected. They may be fighting to the death, but the loser doesn't stay dead.
    end of spoilers
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Astonishing Member OopsIdiditagain's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Blue22 View Post
    That heart move was straight out of Hunter X Hunter wasn't it? She even did it with no blood, like Killua talked about his dad being able to do.

Guess it makes sense. All these years of people comparing Damian and Jon to Killua and Gon. Now he's found the real Killua XD
    Lol Damian had friends before Jon so he really wasn't a Killua. If Flatline supposed to be like a rival/foil to Damian that would be interesting. I've rarely seen male and female characters have that type of dynamic.
    december 21st has passed where are my superpowers?

Incredible Member Light of Justice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    In fairness, he only did that once he was on the island.
    Exactly, in front of dozens of trained killers who may or may not know his true identity. Just think it's hilarious that on the earlier pages we've shown that Damian is good at covering his track and existence, then on an isolated island full of killers he went "**** secret identity, I am 14 years old fashion icon, fight me!"

Truly reminds me why I love Damian in the first place.

Astonishing Member OopsIdiditagain's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Light of Justice View Post
    Exactly, in front of dozens of trained killers who may or may not know his true identity. Just think it's hilarious that on the earlier pages we've shown that Damian is good at covering his track and existence, then on an isolated island full of killers he went "**** secret identity, I am 14 years old fashion icon, fight me!"

Truly reminds me why I love Damian in the first place.
    I love it too.

He has Al Ghuls for family, I don't think anyone on that Island is scarier than that.
    december 21st has passed where are my superpowers?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by hairys View Post
    As a fan of the Enter the Dragon and Bloodsport films, I really loved this.

I'm guessing Lazarus Island has Lazarus pits.
    Possibly, though Damian has certainly had parts replaced before.

I liked this. I'm torn or just iffy on some of the entrants because like, it's nice to have cameos in a big martial arts mortal kombat tournament riff of all kinds of fighter/brawler characters from DC Comics old and new and tying back especially to characters that have links to Dick and Tim's adventures is obviously an important factor in Damian's Robin Adventures, but it's going to play a bit twee.

King Snake was a big threat in the 90s (you know, like three, four years ago in-universe) and the (not great) story development that he's Bane's biological father is kind of not great grounds to build any story beats on. Damian embarrassing a Tim Drake martial arts villain is actually fine, but the Bane connection beat is like ... muddled. That said if you're going to pick up that odd strand of continuity it is at least in-character for Damian to do such a thing.

And that kind of question of inclusion extends all the way down the roster of every cameo or character popping in, right? Artemis Crock is a natural fit for being here, and Connor Hawke kind of is, too. But Raptor feels like a stretch maybe, as do some other characters (that said, like Damian it seems like TONS of folks are here with ulterior motives, heroically, anti-heroically, or villainously detective-investigating the whole thing at the behest of what are probably various benefactors, good or evil). Tad Ryerstad, "Nite-Wing" is probably the most obvious "oh that guy shouldn't be here and this is a glorified cameo" situation. Lady Vic makes sense, even Double Dare make some sense, and so on down the line. Was it Artemis that claimed to have fought Richard Dragon or Black Swan? Even that reads as a lie. Someone name-checked Shiva as well. And Bronze Tiger by ... is that Shrike? All three of them seem like they're lying about how they got there - that Shrike might be a Suicide Squad plant, Artemis might be heroically working for the side of good secretly, that Black Swan might actually just be Richard Dragon's new protege, because none of them should be "defeating" that triumvirate. Then again they did mention cheating, which could be both explanation or misdirect.

But these are actually nitpicks! I like the concept a lot. An MK style thing tied up with the League and Demon makes total sense. Damian is on point. I'm sure there's more to it than just a straightforward fight scenario - there always is. The Lazarus League likely has some huge secret ulterior motive reason for things like this that have that "once part of Ra's plan, now at odds" flavor to them. The skully island fortress feels both MK and slightly Batman: The Brave and Bold, which is perfect (there was another Lazarus Island type situation ... or Demon Island ... whatever, back in the first chapter of Teen Titans: Rebirth when Damian met his cousin and the sort of "Assassin Teen League". There was Infinity Island back in the 80s. There's just always some Evil Demon Island in these things.

And it's fun, and the art is sleek, bouncy, not too cartoony but definitely not too serious.
    Retro315 no more. Anonymity is so 2005.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by OopsIdiditagain View Post
    Lol Damian had friends before Jon
    Not if you ask Ben Percy -____-

I got to ask when was King Snake being Bane's dad a thing?
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Well, Rose did try to look out for Damian at least.

"Er, Damian? Please don't do something that will get you killed and get me put on Dick's and Jason's **** list."
    "Ha! As if any of these plebeians have half the skill needed for me! And besides, its about impossible to get on both of their lists unless you're a demented clown."

Fatality
    Rose- "...I hate my life."

I consider this karma for beating up Batman.

Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    I think there was this big mystery as to who Bane's father was and it was potentially Thomas Wayne before they revealed it was King Snake.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I think there was this big mystery as to who Bane's father was and it was potentially Thomas Wayne before they revealed it was King Snake.
    I thought Bane's father died in prison?
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

I thought Bane's father died in prison?
    His mom died in the prison and he was born there. He didn't know who his father was until years later.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Gotham Knights something something. I posted a couple of pages in the Robin thread or this issue preview thread I forget, and I also forget which issue. Timeline wise, it was when Cass is Batgirl. So between 2000-2005.

I like how y'all think Flatline won't just put it back in.

Quote Originally Posted by garazza View Post
    I like how y'all think Flatline won't just put it back in.
    I mean....giving the heart back would make the Killua vibes even stronger.