Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

yes, the thrust of Williamson's plot here is taken directly from what is arguably the greatest martial arts film of all time: Enter the Dragon, and no element was skipped. Martial arts tournament on a secluded island? Check. Run by a mysterious bad guy? Check. Hero is actually there with ulterior motives? Check. So yeah, it's pretty heavy on well known and well used tropes and while normally that would turn me off I actually think Williamson pulls it off here. I mean, don't get me wrong I'm not super excited by the premise itself but all the other elements work. The introduction to Damian by Batman at the beginning isn't just a perfect recap of the character for anyone who isn't already familiar him but for new readers it's a scene so full of heart( but with out feeling smaltzy) that you just can't help but smile. And he only builds on that more the longer books goes on with scene after scene of really fun character moments for Damian. Williamson really gets Damian's voice, walking the fine line between entitled, aristocratic scion and a just being a normal kid which is something a lot of writers really struggle with. So although the tournament itself may be slightly rote the energy and characterization should more than make up for that.

AndYou know when I knew Gleb Melnikov was really going to deliver the goods on this book?

Right on page one...when he drew Batman smiling.

That's the energy of a good story in the Batman universe; yes this is the home of the grim and gritty guardian of Gotham, and yes he IS the night...but it's escapism too. It's fun to be a superhero, and Robin(no matter who's wearing that domino mask) is the embodiment of that simple feeling of joy at getting to be a part of Batman's story and in much the same way that Williamson just grasps Damian's voice so well in the plot so too does Melnikov just seem to really capture that feeling of exhilaration in his art. It's light and airy and it captures movement spectacularly well so you just know that when we actually get to the tournament the action will look fantastic.

Between this, Nightwing and Detective comics I haven't had this much fun reading Batman in a good twelve years.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue22 View Post
    I mean....giving the heart back would make the Killua vibes even stronger.

That is a mood.

This was cool. Did good with Damian. There’s an obvious character arc, and it remembered to remind readers that Damian is still a kid with his new hobby. Which is a nice touch. And Damian is best when writers remember to add those kinds of touches.
    Last edited by Godlike13; 04-28-2021 at 03:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Godlike13 View Post
    This was cool. Did good with Damian. There’s an obvious character arc, and it remembered to remind readers that Damian is still a kid with his new hobby. Which is a nice touch. And Damian is best when writers remember to add those kinds of touches.
    Especially liked the conversation happening in the manga, kinda reflects his current situation and how he's going about doing his business.
    "What is better? To be born good or to overcome your evil nature through great effort?" ~ Paarthurnax

Astonishing Member

It seems like first issue sells pretty well on Amazon.

Wait if Damian is dead then how is he Red X

Astonishing Member failo.legendkiller's Avatar

Well this is a great start, intriguing plot, interesting cast, mystery and action mixed and a final page that leaves you hooked.
    My only problem is... Damian. I can't stand him, I'll never accept him as Robin. I'm biased on him, I can't enjoy a comic where he humiliate one of the greater Tim's foes.
    I only hope I don't have to watch Connor Hawke job to Damian, cause I will get really angry.
    But that, as i said before, is a problem of mine.
    The issue is really enjoyable, I'm happy for you Damian fans.

Quote Originally Posted by failo.legendkiller View Post
    Well this is a great start, intriguing plot, interesting cast, mystery and action mixed and a final page that leaves you hooked.
    My only problem is... Damian. I can't stand him, I'll never accept him as Robin. I'm biased on him, I can't enjoy a comic where he humiliate one of the greater Tim's foes.
    I only hope I don't have to watch Connor Hawke job to Damian, cause I will get really angry.
    If Williamson makes Connor job to Damian I’m going to feel personally trolled. For as long as it’s been since Connor has been back in universe he does not deserve to go out like that. Waiting to see how it all plays out before I start whining though.

Since we're using the word "job," there are other ways of "booking" their "match" to "protect" both "competitors."

Damian squashed King Snake with a running knee to the face. King Snake was a jobber, an enhancement talent, to make Damian look strong. Flatline used her powers to remove Damian's heart without killing him. Effectively, Damian jobbed for Flatline in order to put over not only her, put the tournament as a whole. Damian will learn his lesson after being so swiftly beat and humiliated. He will have to be much smarter if he's planning on the winning this tournament. Bret Hart won many of his matches because he used strategy, earning him the moniker of "The Excellence of Execution." Damian will have to find creative ways to defeat his opponents. Some he can beat more cleanly and not kick up too much of a fuss from the fandom. Others he can't beat cleanly because they're more established and putting Damian over cleanly would not be welcome, so it's up to Williamson to book his matches so that Damian still wins, but his opponent's legitimacy is still protected.

Just yesterday on AEW's Dynamite, TNT champion Darby Allin defeated Dark Order's 10, Preston Vance, by reversing his Full Nelson submission, a move they've been building up for weeks, into a pin. Vance isn't ready to be champion but he's has a lots of potential, so the match was booked in such way that Vance would've won if Darby hadn't reversed him, protecting both wrestlers, cementing Vance as a force to be reckoned with and Allin as the scrappy and resourceful underdog champion.

Damian can go over Connor while still protecting him as a world-class fighter.

Extraordinary Member CPSparkles's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by failo.legendkiller View Post
    It must have been an awful shock for you. Picking up the new Robin solo only to find it's Damian not Tim. You should try returning it since it'll likely piss you off anything you see it amongst your collection.

Ehhh.. We can call her a HERO? She killed and absorbed persons skills..

https://screenrant.com/dc-comics-fla...ath-dc-comics/

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by adrikito View Post

Killing Damien is morally neutral act at worst.

BANNED

If its Damian then she is a hero to me.

She's too new to know what she really is, only time will tell.

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    Killing Damien is morally neutral act at worst.
    Why don't you learn how to spell his name first?

Quote Originally Posted by prepmaster View Post
    If its Damian then she is a hero to me.
    Look who paid a visit, the forum's resident troll! Hope you enjoyed the issue, honey. xoxo

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by the1&onlyE. View Post
    Why don't you learn how to spell his name first?
    I'll wait for you to get a sense of humor first