Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by BohemiaDrinker View Post
    The character has been madly in love with Dick for pretty much her entire existence (we don't talk about Lobdell), so I don't see how it could not be a win for her.
    that's kinda the point, she's always just waiting in the wings for Dick while he's with Barbara or someone else. She's been burned by writers preferring Babs too many times, and because she's almost singularly reserved for Nightwing everytime that happens (and is often portrayed as a sex positive character) she ends up reading like Dick's "exotic" piece of ass on the side. Even in Titans Academy the relationship is being invoked just to already be used to do more of this love triangle nonsense. we didn't even need it. Dick literally just married Barbara in Death Metal, and the whole conceit of Death Metal is they remember shit, so he SHOULD remember he chose to spend what he thought were his last hours marrying Barbara; and iirc, I'm pretty sure he left Starfire at the altar when they tried (and he should have memory of that now too). so, considering Barbara is going to be playing a significant role in Nightwing's book, we really didn't have to or need to hook him back up with Kori again. they could've just been friends and living their own lives, but nope, we have to do more of this seesaw nonsense. also, because of Future State, we already know they're gonna have another major falling out anyway; it's all just played.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

It sucks to be right BohemiaDrinker's Avatar
    If i was a comic character, my surname would be DaCosta

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    that's kinda the point, she's always just waiting in the wings for Dick while he's with Barbara or someone else. She's been burned by writers preferring Babs too many times, and because she's almost singularly reserved for Nightwing everytime that happens (and is often portrayed as a sex positive character) she ends up reading like Dick's "exotic" piece of ass on the side. Even in Titans Academy the relationship is being invoked just to already be used to do more of this love triangle nonsense. we didn't even need it. Dick literally just married Barbara in Death Metal, and the whole conceit of Death Metal is they remember shit, so he SHOULD remember he chose to spend what he thought were his last hours marrying Barbara; and iirc, I'm pretty sure he left Starfire at the altar when they tried (and he should have memory of that now too). so, considering Barbara is going to be playing a significant role in Nightwing's book, we really didn't have to or need to hook him back up with Kori again. they could've just been friends and living their own lives, but nope, we have to do more of this seesaw nonsense. also, because of Future State, we already know they're gonna have another major falling out anyway; it's all just played.
    Hey, I don't disagree (mostly). But there are a few caveats here:

• I'd have to re-read to be sure, but I believe Death Metal made clear that if they survived the battle, the marriage was null.
    • At least to me, it doesn't seem like Dick is with Babs. They act like besties who happen to be exes. (I may be wrong here, though. North America's lack of touching is weird to me)
    • Kory is down for poly.
    • Dick never left Kory at the altar. The marriage was stopped by a Full-on-Evil Ravena. Dick remained with Kory until a Tamaran coming of age ceremony erased her memories for a while, at which point ->
    * Dick was removed from Titans and incorporated into Bat-Editorial. That's where Dick/Babs began. It was never writers preference pér se (though I'm sure some writers do prefer it by now).

That said, I'm full on board with you that the love triangle thing is sort of BS. Doesn't botter me cause I really don't think Dick and Babs are an item ATM. And I also think that Dick/Kory traditional romance has been played out by now. (Nothing against their fun afternoons, tough).
    ConnEr Kent flies. ConnOr Hawke has a bow. Batman's kid is named DamiAn.

To do spoiler tags, use [ spoil ] at the start of the sentence and [ /spoil ] at the end, without the spaces. You're welcome!

I think this Issue is a slight improvement. Bolt is one of the characters I'm more interested in, so it was cool to see her in the spotlight.

While I like the light-heartedness, the characters sometimes come off a bit too clueless. The light-heartedness also makes me wary of the Suicide Squad crossover.

I also liked seeing more of Cyborg.

Quote Originally Posted by BohemiaDrinker View Post
    Hey, I don't disagree (mostly). But there are a few caveats here:

I'd have to re-read to be sure, but I believe Death Metal made clear that if they survived the battle, the marriage was null.
    • At least to me, it doesn't seem like Dick is with Babs. They act like besties who happen to be exes. (I may be wrong here, though. North America's lack of touching is weird to me)
    • Kory is down for poly.
    • Dick never left Kory at the altar. The marriage was stopped by a Full-on-Evil Ravena. Dick remained with Kory until a Tamaran coming of age ceremony erased her memories for a while, at which point ->
    * Dick was removed from Titans and incorporated into Bat-Editorial. That's where Dick/Babs began. It was never writers preference pér se (though I'm sure some writers do prefer it by now).

That said, I'm full on board with you that the love triangle thing is sort of BS. Doesn't botter me cause I really don't think Dick and Babs are an item ATM. And I also think that Dick/Kory traditional romance has been played out by now. (Nothing against their fun afternoons, tough).
    The Death Metal marriage doesn't seem to matter at all/never happened. Tom Taylor called it an "alternate universe tale set in the future". Dunno what Sheridan would say about it if asked, but it would be strange if he were to say the opposite.

But I agree with lemonpeace that the way Sheridan or DC are tackling the romance is nonsense. It's immediately set up as a love triangle that strictly speaking doesn't even exist right now.

Instead of seeing more of Headmistress Kory, all the Issue shows is insecure Kory. I would have preferred a coffee date instead of a "look, they end up in bed with each other".

Eeh, I really don’t know about this book. They are making the adult Titans seem like geezers. And when it comes to Dick and Kory, I don’t think they are setting up a love triangle. I think they are setting up a big fallout between Dick and Kory. Reminding readers of their relationship before they turn it sideways like we saw in FS.
    Last edited by Godlike13; 04-28-2021 at 04:59 AM.

Aside from the Dick/Koru/Babs stuff, I feel that the Titans are far more interesting than they have been since 2016. They are their own thing, distinct from the League, and there is such an energy and joy in the book that I really don't want it to change, even if I guess the coming of the SS and Red X being more and more present may change things. I really hope it'll hold and that it'll cement that the Titans works best not as a poor's man Justice League but their very own thing, you know ?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    All of this.

It is why I, once again, say that while this may be presumed to be a "win" for Dick Grayson (and his fans who are into that), it really isn't and cannot be a "win" for Starfire.

I like this version of the Titans. Maybe a little to lighthearted right now. A lot of characters and I hope to see a focus on each one at some point. A lot of intriguing characters. Bolt, Stitch, the bat brats, Totally Tubular(I hope he does more than turn into a sewer pipe), Matt. This is a lot like Avengers Academy and I liked that a lot. Love a large cast of characters. Looking forward to the Suicide Squad crossover. Wonder why Waller is so hot for Bolt. Plus the mystery of Red X. A lot is going on. Definitely liking the direction so far.
    Last edited by Dreaded Porcupine; 04-28-2021 at 05:15 PM.

Astonishing Member failo.legendkiller's Avatar

I'm still on the fence on this new status quo but I'm enjoying this second issue too.
    The cast is great and nothing made me feel angry, I don't mind the potential triangle thing. We could live without it? yes, but that doesn't bother me for now. In any case I'm part of Team Kory if needed
    Maybe Red X has been too easily able to introduce in Titans Tower, steal files and leave but all things considered it's an enjoyable issue. Time will tell... I'm still in.
    Last edited by failo.legendkiller; 04-29-2021 at 03:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by J. D. Guy View Post
    All of this.

It is why I, once again, say that while this may be presumed to be a "win" for Dick Grayson (and his fans who are into that), it really isn't and cannot be a "win" for Starfire.
    Because she's probably going to lose again to Babs?

(I don't think Dick fans view Kory as an exotic side-piece).

Quote Originally Posted by Dreaded Porcupine View Post
    I like this version of the Titans. Maybe a little to lighthearted right now. A lot of characters and I hope to see a focus on each one at some point. A lot of intriguing characters. Bolt, Stitch, the bat brats, Totally Tubular(I hope he does more than turn into a sewer pipe), Matt. This is a lot like Avengers Academy and I liked that a lot. Love a large cast of characters. Looking forward to the Suicide Squad crossover. Wonder why Waller is so hot for Bolt. Plus the mystery of Red X. A lot is going on. Definitely liking the direction so far.
    I notice that they haven't revealed Alinta's last name... what if she's actually a Waller? And Amanda didn't just randomly pick her up in the outback?
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    I notice that they haven't revealed Alinta's last name... what if she's actually a Waller? And Amanda didn't just randomly pick her up in the outback?
    My assumption was that she’s the kid of captain boomerang, but that’s only wild speculation because of the rumor that 5G’s new Flash would be the kid of Captain Boomerang who is also from Australia which is the only person I think Waller would know to check for a kid but again all speculation.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

That rumour was obviously total bull, as Future State Flash was from an AU instead, and is the niece/nephew of Jesse Quick.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

That rumour was obviously total bull, as Future State Flash was from an AU instead, and is the niece/nephew of Jesse Quick.
    That’s why I said wild speculation

However if I am shown that is the case, it will confirm another speculation I had: that dc ripped 5G apart, tossed out ideas they hated and took from it the ideas they liked, and then changed it to become Infinite Frontier.
    Last edited by sifighter; 04-29-2021 at 08:37 AM.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

You might be on to something here. We’ll find out very shortly.

It sucks to be right BohemiaDrinker's Avatar
    If i was a comic character, my surname would be DaCosta

Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    My assumption was that she’s the kid of captain boomerang, but that’s only wild speculation because of the rumor that 5G’s new Flash would be the kid of Captain Boomerang who is also from Australia which is the only person I think Waller would know to check for a kid but again all speculation.
    That was Owen Mercer - Captain Boomerang 2 - who was already established as having speed force powers. (Also, Impulse's brother).
    ConnEr Kent flies. ConnOr Hawke has a bow. Batman's kid is named DamiAn.

To do spoiler tags, use [ spoil ] at the start of the sentence and [ /spoil ] at the end, without the spaces. You're welcome!