Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Teen Titans Academy #2 Discussion and Spoilers

Welcome to your second class of Teen Titans Academy, I hope you all did your homework assignments and remember that this will be on the quiz And for today's class we will be covering some brand new characters, the classic titans, Suicide Squad, and of course Red X...okay enough of that joke lets talk comics.

So if I had to say who gets the most focus in this issue is Bolt, "Matt Price", Cyborg, and Nightwing (Mr. Nightwing if you're nasty); I guess we see some of Totally Tubular and Stitch but there not really focus characters. But no I actually do like this issue for using Cyborg more, its not focused on his personal life struggles like Dick but more in how he handles himself as a teacher and a friend to Dick Grayson, and as it turns out Victor makes for a good professor because he actually advises his students on their abilities and takes time to talk to them and worry about them because he's responsible for them. He's also good natured and tries to have fun, making jokes and what not at Dick and Beast Boy's expense. Not the best I've seen of Cyborg but it's nice to see him having fun.

Next is Dick Grayson, he's having relationship issues with Starfire and is worried about the whole Red X thing. His issues are mainly that he's getting calls from Barbara Gordon because of his bludhaven/Bat-family responsibilites and that's making Starfire a bit jealous. And of course now Red X is freaking running around the school so now he has to deal with that problem.

Bolt we learn is not a speed force runner but a sprinter, which apparently there is a difference in that she can get winded by running too fast. Oh yeah and Amanda Waller is hounding her, apparently Bolt's entire background when she applied might be fabricated by Waller and Waller is calling to collect, which if you've been paying attention sets up the crossover with Suicide Squad next issue.

Now onto "Matt Price" and I'm using quotes because he gets some of the biggest reveals and discussion. Basically Matt reveals he has amnesia, that apparently he was flying around in the sky when he crashed into the ocean and rescued but with no memories of who he is and where he came from, so he took the name Matt Price from an old poem he read. However this concerns both Cyborg and Nightwing, because Matt shows that he is incredibly strong, incredibly smart, and can fly, which makes them think of one other person: Conner Kent. Oh and apparently Stitch is his roommate and finds his brooding weird so she wants to switch, even pays totally tubular to help.

Now onto Red X...not much to say, he busts into the main security room tries to download some files, gets away from Nightwing, and then sets himself up to confront the Suicide Squad. They sure talk about him a lot but also because the Titans worry he could be anyone of the students and don't know what it is he wants.

Besides that Rafa Sandoval is having fun with the at here, there is always something going on in the background such as Totally Tubular's tube transformation which is as ridiculous as it sounds, and its a very vibrant colors as well. It just kind of works for the book and I appreciate it. Overall nice issue, pretty good set up as we are only two issues into the start of this run of new ideas and characters, of course remember that next issue is pretty much interrupted by a crossover so lets wait and see how that all goes.

But there is one big downside....still no Shazam Glad he got a mini announced to make up for it I guess.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

The Matt Price stuff is interesting. I wonder what the deal is between him and Stitch. People theorized he could be Jordan from Superman and Lois and that's interesting.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 04-27-2021 at 11:11 AM.

I was really hoping against hope that they wouldn't go all in with the Nightwing and Starfire relationship, for the Express reason that I don't wanna deal with an love triangle nonsense with Dick, Babs, and Kori (and I don't think the two together is a particularly interesting pairing) but alas, more Barbara, Dick, and Kori dramatic shenanigans. that's probably going to be the biggest problem I'm gonna have with this book, because I'm enjoying just about everything else. well that'll be my biggest problem and the fear of Cybeast actually becoming a thing. while I'm on that note, I don't like the robot speech-bubbles they have for Vic at all. between Cybeast and the robo-speak, Sheridan's use of Cyborg is starting to consistently feel weirdly dehumanizing and that's not boding well for me. it may come off as me being nitpicky but that part is still very concerning to me.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    I was really hoping against hope that they wouldn't go all in with the Nightwing and Starfire relationship, for the Express reason that I don't wanna deal with an love triangle nonsense with Dick, Babs, and Kori (and I don't think the two together is a particularly interesting pairing) but alas, more Barbara, Dick, and Kori dramatic shenanigans. that's probably going to be the biggest problem I'm gonna have with this book, because I'm enjoying just about everything else. well that'll be my biggest problem and the fear of Cybeast actually becoming a thing. while I'm on that note, I don't like the robot speech-bubbles they have for Vic at all. between Cybeast and the robo-speak, Sheridan's use of Cyborg is starting to consistently feel weirdly dehumanizing and that's not boding well for me. it may come off as me being nitpicky but that part is still very concerning to me.
    I'm kind of happy Kory finally has a win so long as this doesn't end with Dick choosing Babs/cheating on her and then just making Kory unhappy. She deserves better.

Incredible Member

I like Cyborg's 'voice' in Teen Titans Academy but he seems less powerful here because he should have easily scan the Titans Headquarters for the Red X mask. He deferred to the central computer but Cyborg himself should be more powerful since he's powered by a Motherbox and can process data from the multiverse. Cyborg should not be seen using a computer or an iphone because it just doesn't make any sense. A guest writer for a past Justice League story did something similar. It's dissapointing because Sheridan, the writer, wrote the Transformers animated movie.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I'm kind of happy Kory finally has a win so long as this doesn't end with Dick choosing Babs/cheating on her and then just making Kory unhappy. She deserves better.
    I guess I don't really see Grayson being with Kory as any sort of "win" for Kory.

I could see it being considered a "win" for Dick Grayson and many readers and writers who resonantly identify with the character, but that wouldn't also make it a "win" for Kory.

Quote Originally Posted by J. D. Guy View Post
    I guess I don't really see Grayson being with Kory as any sort of "win" for Kory.

I could see it being considered a "win" for Dick Grayson and many readers and writers who resonantly identify with the character, but that wouldn't also make it a "win" for Kory.
    Could be a win for Dick/Kory shippers depending on where is goes. As long as they don't hit an iceberg Titanic style I'm all for it

So now that Dick and Kory are back, can they please do the world a favor and just stay that way? I don't really care which one Dick chooses. I'm cool with Kory or Babs, as long as he makes a choice and actually sticks with it. The game of Nightwing hot potato has gotta stop XD

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Blue22 View Post
    So now that Dick and Kory are back, can they please do the world a favor and just stay that way? I don't really care which one Dick chooses. I'm cool with Kory or Babs, as long as he makes a choice and actually sticks with it. The game of Nightwing hot potato has gotta stop XD
    I think Kory won't ever be mentioned in Taylor's Nightwing, though the writer for titans academy seems eager to bring up Babs in this book.

I mean, Kory loves Dick and the comics have been downplaying her relationship and importance with Dick for a while now. Couldn't this be considered a "win" for her?

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Blue22 View Post
    this better not end up with the headmistress crying in class

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I mean, Kory loves Dick and the comics have been downplaying her relationship and importance with Dick for a while now. Couldn't this be considered a "win" for her?
    I'm on team Barbra...so I wish they would stop with the Nightwing\Starfire relationship.

I love Kory but not with Dick
    Some of us wait, some of us act.

Quote Originally Posted by LordAllMIghty View Post
    I'm on team Barbra...so I wish they would stop with the Nightwing\Starfire relationship.

I love Kory but not with Dick
    I like both pairings, but I feel like Kory usually ends up getting the worst of it...

It sucks to be right BohemiaDrinker's Avatar
    If i was a comic character, my surname would be DaCosta

The character has been madly in love with Dick for pretty much her entire existence (we don't talk about Lobdell), so I don't see how it could not be a win for her.
    ConnEr Kent flies. ConnOr Hawke has a bow. Batman's kid is named DamiAn.

To do spoiler tags, use [ spoil ] at the start of the sentence and [ /spoil ] at the end, without the spaces. You're welcome!

I liked the issue, although the only thing I disliked is the Dick/Khory stuff. Just let them continue with their lives on their own.