Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Amazing Man (William "Will" Everett) Appreciation (2021)

Retconned "Golden Age" hero, first appeared in All-Star Squadron #23 (July 1983):

There was previously a character named "Amazing-Man" who did appear in the Golden Age (debuting in 1939), published by Centaur Publications and created by William "Bill" Everett.

NOTE: Issue #5 was the first issue; there apparently were no issues#1-4 for that title.

Also worth noting: in last year's version of the "Amazing-Man appreciation thread!" (https://community.cbr.com/showthread...iation-thread!), there was this:
    Quote Originally Posted by Robotman
    . . . Tom Taylor posted this image teasing his next project:

Hopefully there is something big in store for Will Everett aka Amazing-Man!

However, while I can find a couple of Tom Taylor tweets mentioning this,
    "To remind us tyranny often starts with the words we want to hear.
    That promises can be eroded and corrupted by power.
    That criticism should be heeded and amplified, never silenced.
    To remind us what we STAND for"
    @DCComics
    12:26 PM · Jul 29, 2020
    https://twitter.com/tomtaylormade/st...11170098237440

and
    Hey, Jerry!
    Hasn’t been announced yet (we’re working up to it) but the art is by
    @TotinoTedesco
    Big fan, by the way!
    12:54 AM · Jul 30, 2020
    https://twitter.com/TomTaylorMade/st...99573846700032

Does anybody know if anything further came of this?

it was actually for his Injustice: Zero Year series that featured the JSA. That version of the JSA had Amazing-Man as a member. I didn’t read it but I heard a lot of them were used as cannon fodder for the Joker.

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    it was actually for his Injustice: Zero Year series that featured the JSA. That version of the JSA had Amazing-Man as a member. I didn’t read it but I heard a lot of them were used as cannon fodder for the Joker.
    Oh well.

I haven't read any of Taylor's Injustice or DCeased stuff.

His run on New 52's Earth 2 was depressing enough as it was when it came to death and destruction.

From Who's Who: The Definitive Directory of the DC Universe Vol. I (March 1985)

NOTE: His powers would later change from what this entry described.

Extraordinary Member

I gotta laugh at myself. I never followed the character, but always admired his historical significance, despite his retcon story.

I'm just now caught on to his civilian name.

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    Not Everett. He actually had a very cool showing against Joker. It was actually funny.

Quote Originally Posted by atomicskull View Post
    Not Everett. He actually had a very cool showing against Joker. It was actually funny.
    That’s cool. Maybe I’ll check it out one day.

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Oh well.

I haven't read any of Taylor's Injustice or DCeased stuff.

His run on New 52's Earth 2 was depressing enough as it was when it came to death and destruction.
    I’m not gonna defend everything Taylor has done but you actually can’t blame him for Earth 2. It was an editorial mandate that that earth be destroyed (it’s why Robinson stormed off the book). Taylor did what he could with a pre-written story.

Ultimate Member

I love that powerset, it's so versatile (particularly when matter chameleon can take on liquid, gas or energy forms, which I don't think Amazing Man could...).

He was one of those All-Star era folk I always wanted to see more of, along with Danette Reilley.

AMAZING 5.jpgGreat Amazing Man by Phil Cho.

BANNED

Why is every Black DC hero from ****ing Detroit? Geezus

Quote Originally Posted by SecretWarrior View Post
    Why is every Black DC hero from ****ing Detroit? Geezus
    Not sure if that's appropriate for an "Appreciation Thread", but how many black / African-American heroes (or even villains) were established as being from Detroit prior to 1983?

In Amazing Man's case, there were actual historical issues involving race riots in Detroit in 1942-43, so it may have made sense for Roy Thomas to have Will be from there.

BANNED

Not sure if that's appropriate for an "Appreciation Thread", but how many black / African-American heroes (or even villains) were established as being from Detroit prior to 1983?

In Amazing Man's case, there were actual historical issues involving race riots in Detroit in 1942-43, so it may have made sense for Roy Thomas to have Will be from there.
    Not trying to hate, but this was my last straw I guess.

John, Vic, Will, John Henry, Jason Rusch... Vixen even spent time there as part of JLD. Apparently Milestone's Dakota City is also based on Detroit... If Lynn Stewart is John's sister, they might all be connected by the same high school

BANNED

Also worth noting: in last year's version of the "Amazing-Man appreciation thread!" (https://community.cbr.com/showthread...iation-thread!), there was this:
    That picture was the first I learned of Amazing-Man - 100% thought he was a new character. Not going to lie, with his look and name and everything, finding out he's been around since the 80's in this thread is a shock. How the hell have they not done anything substantial with him? Like, he looks like a no-brainer for DC to push to show their diversity and inclusivity. Like freaking put him in a cartoon or something. Never read anything the character's been in, but he feels like the sort of character that'd do well if given a chance just from what little I've seen around here.

Quote Originally Posted by SecretWarrior View Post
    Actually, I believe that's Will Everett's grandson (Will Everett III), who wasn't created until ten years after the original Will Everett was.

The original Will Everett was with the All-Star Squadron in stories set in the early 1940s, while Will Everett III was with the Justice League and Extreme Justice in the 1990s .