Page 15 of 29 FirstFirst ... 511121314151617181925 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Dred View Post
    Tim was being used as an example at one point (probably because people see him as redundant a lot) because of a rumor about him being biracial asian/black in the Titans TV show (which is actually just a Batman side characters tv show now, c'est la vie). I don't believe that's happening unless I missed something.

But yeah Duke is essentially Black Tim already anyhow with regards to Bat family role. They're different but fill the same space.
    This does imply that Tim fans wouldn't even be able to conceive Tim as a character past any actors skin color
    I'd like to think the costume and being a geeky loser techkid Robin would reflect the character but its not the same for every fan
    I don't like Duke being the go to substitute every time the question of raceswapping a Robin comes up. Duke doesn't bring the same dynamic to Batman(or the other Robins/Titans) that any of the other robins do. The story would change by including him mind you.

Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    I'm fine with it, to me unless it's really significant the character's race or sexuality to who they are then I can accept the change....
    My thoughts exactly. You can't make Wonder Woman a man or Aquaman gay (unless you gender swap Mera because she is so important to his story) for example.
    Last edited by Celgress; 05-02-2021 at 05:10 PM.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nite-Wing View Post
    This does imply that Tim fans wouldn't even be able to conceive Tim as a character past any actors skin color
    I'd like to think the costume and being a geeky loser techkid Robin would reflect the character but its not the same for every fan
    I don't like Duke being the go to substitute every time the question of raceswapping a Robin comes up. Duke doesn't bring the same dynamic to Batman(or the other Robins/Titans) that any of the other robins do. The story would change by including him mind you.

Part of the reason that is the case is because Duke is a black character, though. That's legitimately a big part of what makes him different from Bruce Clones Incorporated.

Admittedly I don't think it's ever a big deal for raceswapping in live action media to happen just because casting is part of the business and economy and non-white actors deserve roles, too. I just don't ever buy any race swapping as being really for the intent of diversity unless they're doing it to a major character.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    Tim Drake will in fact be played by an actor of mixed ethnicity in the Titans live action tv show, that part is not a rumor.

But there's no reason to believe that DC intends to do adapt the actor's likeness to the comics right now.
    Cool.

Side note it is so freaking stupid that the TITANS tv show has gotten down to its third freaking robin before Roy or Wally, actual OG members, have shown up. God what a waste of a show I was excited for. Actually thought we'd be getting the Titans. I know Roy's been referenced but still.
    Last edited by Dred; 05-02-2021 at 05:13 PM.

hate cant reach you here Harpsikord's Avatar

TV rights are a bitch. We'll never see Wally in Titans as long as The Flash is running.
    "We come into this world alone and we leave the same way. The time we spent in between - time spent alive, sharing, learning together... is all that makes life worth living." - Jean Grey

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Harpsikord View Post
    TV rights are a bitch. We'll never see Wally in Titans as long as The Flash is running.
    TheCW is owned by WB who owns HBO/DC. If WB allows Wally to appear, he can. Not like Wally is even part of the The Flash anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Nite-Wing View Post
    I don't mind if using Duke changes up the story, nor that he brings a different dynamic than any of the Robins. That can be a good thing. So yeah, I would definitely use Duke as a substitute for one of the Robins. Push a new POC character who needs it. Besides, as Signal he's got a hell of a cool costume.

Extraordinary Member

In case of Titans you also don't really had to bring in an additional Batman character, there are plenty of non Batman Titans characters.

But that goes slowly of topic.

Tim was being used as an example at one point (probably because people see him as redundant a lot) because of a rumor about him being biracial asian/black in the Titans TV show (which is actually just a Batman side characters tv show now, c'est la vie). I don't believe that's happening unless I missed something.

Butt yeah Duke is essentially Black Tim already anyhow with regards to Bat family role. They're different but fill the same space.
    incorrect, but you tried it.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

Astonishing Member

There is something wrong if you prefer a character to be who they've always been and don't want them to be different. And I'm not speaking about just whatever color their skin is on the page. When you change a character's race you fundamentally change tons about them and the context of their life. Why wouldn't someone want Tim to be race changed to black? Because the person likes Tim and doesn't want what would be an absolutely incredibly encompassing retcon to change who he is or what he's done in his life. You can't just pretend there's no difference in being white or black or asian or native american in America. To do so is changing a color and ignoring what makes people diverse.

This isn't really an issue in external media, which essentially completely rewrite characters with only vague references to the comic stories that won't be affected by racial context. But changing already existing, long standing characters will do that. The only other way is, I guess, just do everyone like Huntress and make a new character with the same name. Which is also what they tried to do with Wally and it went bad.
    Don't want to pretend or ignore. That's the point.

But yeah Duke is essentially Black Tim already anyhow with regards to Bat family role. They're different but fill the same space.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    Okay, good. Because that'd be dumb.
    Tim is redundant.

He is a black-haired, blue-eyed Caucasian Third Robin created to replace Jason who replaced Grayson. By the by, I like Tim. Doesn't change facts.

Tim as a POC Robin would be ground-breaking. Duke is not a Robin. I don't count We Are Robin.

It's good that Duke has his own identity. DC has too many Robins and don't know what to do.

Tim Drake as a POC might revitalize this character.

IMHO, he always should of been a POC. I can only imagine how different a POC Robin would have been in the 1990s.

Of course, it would have to been done the right way. I thinking a new Earth in the Omni-Multi-Mega-Verse.
    Last edited by scary harpy; 05-03-2021 at 05:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by scary harpy View Post

Tim is redundant.

He is a black-haired, blue-eyed Caucasian Third Robin created to replace Jason who replaced Grayson. By the by, I like Tim. Doesn't change facts.

Tim as a POC Robin would be ground-breaking. Duke is not a Robin. I don't count We Are Robin.

It's good that Duke has his own identity. DC has too many Robins and don't know what to do.

IMHO, he always should of been a POC. I can only imagine how different a POC Robin would have been in the 1990s.

Of course, it would have to been done the right way. I thinking a new Earth in the Omni-Multi-Mega-Verse.
    I unsurprisingly disagree. I don't care if Duke's not a Robin, he's a POC Batfamily character, use him and push him. It's better than changing Tim's race now. Or make Duke a Robin if for some reason it's important it be a Robin. Or play up Damian's middle eastern ethnicity more. Using actual POC characters is just better.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    I unsurprisingly disagree. I don't care if Duke's not a Robin, he's a POC Batfamily character, use him and push him. It's better than changing Tim's race now. Or make Duke a Robin if for some reason it's important it be a Robin. Or play up Damian's middle eastern ethnicity more. Using actual POC characters is just better.
    I have to agree.

Using an existing POC is better than pretending that DC's always been diverse.

I mean, why's it so important that the next live action Robin be Tim Drake yet not look at all like the character?

Why not have the next live action Robin be Duke?

I mean, is the civilian name of a character that important?

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    I have to agree.

Using an existing POC is better than pretending that DC's always been diverse.

I mean, why's it so important that the next live action Robin be Tim Drake yet not look at all like the character?

Why not have the next live action Robin be Duke?

I mean, is the civilian name of a character that important?
    I don't have a problem with POC Tim myself, but Duke does seem like the logical choice to me, too.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Part of the reason that is the case is because Duke is a black character, though. That's legitimately a big part of what makes him different from Bruce Clones Incorporated.

Admittedly I don't think it's ever a big deal for raceswapping in live action media to happen just because casting is part of the business and economy and non-white actors deserve roles, too. I just don't ever buy any race swapping as being really for the intent of diversity unless they're doing it to a major character.

Cool.

Side note it is so freaking stupid that the TITANS tv show has gotten down to its third freaking robin before Roy or Wally, actual OG members, have shown up. God what a waste of a show I was excited for. Actually thought we'd be getting the Titans. I know Roy's been referenced but still.
    This casting isn't for diversity or at least it's not for positive Diversity. Since this Black Tim is a street kid rather than a middle class kid like white Tim was.

Hooray for racism!

Tim is redundant.

No they should have gone for Duke not Tim. They even take a part of Duke's story and grafted it on to this Race bent Tim. A street kid already fighting Crime is We are robin+ Jason Todd.
    not to mention that Titans already has 2 Robins enough give us a Signal, Sideways, Clown hunter or even an Orphan. They are all diverse and are different from Robin.

If they must have a POC Robin then Use Damian. The actual person of colour Robin.

Extraordinary Member

Tim is redundant.

Tim is far from redundant. Honestly, if your only criteria for a good character is race....be prepared for horrible characters. The writers won't have to do much to please you if that's true. Tim, not withstanding his somehow evil color and eyes has a totally different personality than his predecessors and indeed his successor. And a different skill set and approach to Robining. While they certainly can racebend him, he neither needs it nor will he be improved by it. If a character can be improved by such a change, than so be it. OTOH, if it won't improve the character in some way other than making him or her the correct color or sexuality, don't do it.