Page 29 of 29 FirstFirst ... 192526272829
    Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
    Well yeah, the basic gist here is about radical character changes for out-of-universe reasons. I personally think it fails more often than it succeeds.
    It fails because you end up going back to the original.

Like the upcoming Mr Miracle OGN-it has a black Scott Free instead of Shilo. Now if someone likes that book and wants to read more-they get the white Scott Free.

Use the folks who are already around. Not dump a race change or sexual preference on an establish person just for the heck of it.

If the only way I can get writers for certain characters is to do, I need to find better writers.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    It fails because you end up going back to the original.

Like the upcoming Mr Miracle OGN-it has a black Scott Free instead of Shilo. Now if someone likes that book and wants to read more-they get the white Scott Free.

Use the folks who are already around. Not dump a race change or sexual preference on an establish person just for the heck of it.

If the only way I can get writers for certain characters is to do, I need to find better writers.
    What will Barda look like?

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by ultradav View Post
    I'm not a huge fan however I wouldn't say it's the same situation or a double standard exactly. There is a very long and messed up history regarding a lack of representation for non white (non male, non hetero, non mainstream etc) characters, so any correction to that is not a bad thing. Often as well there is a subtextual message involved - for instance casting Hamilton with mostly POC is making a subversive statement about the history of race in America (and Broadway). Like everything else though for me it comes down to the writing -- I'm willing to accept most anything if it's well done.
    I think in case of a historical, pseudo historical, or medival fantasy movie or tv series, if you want to include a "diverse" character, you need to explain where he comes from, why he is there and treat him like an "exot". Other wise it just feels extremely anachronistic.

I think robin Hood Prince of Thieves, or the 13th Warrior are examples where it was well done.

Hamilton is a musical, those make like all kinds of theatre anyway usually wired artistic choices and are more about the music than about immersion into a world.