Default Flintstones Sequel Show In The Works

https://screenrant.com/flintstones-s...-pebbles-cast/

This seems unnecessary but maybe it'll be good?
    Last edited by choptop; 05-11-2021 at 04:14 PM.

Ultimate Member

Does that humor even fly today?

three-time juror The Gold Stream's Avatar

id rather them let seth macfarlane do an animated version like he was working on years ago

Astonishing Member

Well, that's . . . fine . . . I guess.

I mean, I like the Flintstones. I have the whole series on DVD. I even bought a Flintstones mask during this pandemic. But I've just seen more than a couple of shows lose their original charm in an attempt to supposedly regain the adult audience that they lost over their intervening years. And some of that has to do with trying too hard to be grown-up. But a lot of it has to do with how much the goalposts have moved in terms of what's considered "for adults". The thing is that during their youth, Gen Xers and older millenials (like myself) aka "The Rerun Generation" spent so much of our time watching older TV shows, particularly sitcoms, that were originally for adults that none of that seems particularly mature anymore. Content about holding down a job or grown-up domestic life was considered by definition "adult fare". By now . . . not so much.

Maybe I'm wrong, though. I wish them luck with Bedrock (which, after Smallville and Riverdale, sounds like it should be a teen drama about young Fred, Barney, Wilma and Betty brooding their years at Bedrock High), but I'm a bit skeptical for now.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by AdamFTF View Post
    Well, that's . . . fine . . . I guess.

I mean, I like the Flintstones. I have the whole series on DVD. I even bought a Flintstones mask during this pandemic. But I've just seen more than a couple of shows lose their original charm in an attempt to supposedly regain the adult audience that they lost over their intervening years. And some of that has to do with trying too hard to be grown-up. But a lot of it has to do with how much the goalposts have moved in terms of what's considered "for adults". The thing is that during their youth, Gen Xers and older millenials (like myself) aka "The Rerun Generation" spent so much of our time watching older TV shows, particularly sitcoms, that were originally for adults that none of that seems particularly mature anymore. Content about holding down a job or grown-up domestic life was considered by definition "adult fare". By now . . . not so much.

Maybe I'm wrong, though. I wish them luck with Bedrock (which, after Smallville and Riverdale, sounds like it should be a teen drama about young Fred, Barney, Wilma and Betty brooding their years at Bedrock High), but I'm a bit skeptical for now.
    Yeah, a lot of stuff from those eras seems tame or even kiddish nowadays

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    Does that humor even fly today?
    Flintstones? Well, yeah. I mean, it's really just a sitcom with cartoony caveman and dinosaur jokes. I mean, all you have to do is update the sitcom humor to be more like modern sitcoms, but that's kind of obvious. But the basic premise of a sitcom with a caveman cartoon setting, there's no reason it shouldn't work.

Edit: Just talking about the humor of the original. Will this new show work? Who knows...
    Last edited by Vakanai; 04-27-2021 at 10:45 PM.

Yabba Dabba Don't!

Banks just finished killing Charlie's Angels
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Sort of done before, although as an early 70's teen show:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Pe...Bamm-Bamm_Show
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    Flintstones? Well, yeah. I mean, it's really just a sitcom with cartoony caveman and dinosaur jokes. I mean, all you have to do is update the sitcom humor to be more like modern sitcoms, but that's kind of obvious. But the basic premise of a sitcom with a caveman cartoon setting, there's no reason it shouldn't work.

Edit: Just talking about the humor of the original. Will this new show work? Who knows...
    The basic premise could work. But the original humor is probably outdated in many ways.
    Last edited by Conn Seanery; 05-04-2021 at 05:20 AM.

I'm...not sure how to feel about this.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I'm...not sure how to feel about this.
    About where I'm at. I mean, I'm always down to see how characters are doing a ways down the road. But the time to do this was back in the 70s, 80s at the latest. Yet my curiosity is still peaked.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post
    About where I'm at. I mean, I'm always down to see how characters are doing a ways down the road. But the time to do this was back in the 70s, 80s at the latest. Yet my curiosity is still peaked.
    To be honest I'm just not sure how to feel about the Flinstones being an adult-oriented cartoon on Fox.

I at least hope they treat the characters and the property with respect.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    To be honest I'm just not sure how to feel about the Flinstones being an adult-oriented cartoon on Fox.

I at least hope they treat the characters and the property with respect.
    Missed that part. Now I dread it, because I can just see them turning it into stoneage Family Guy or some crap.

Ultimate Member

While I'm not a Family Guy fan, I don't think keeping it the same would necessarily fly today either. Simpsons updated the whole animated family sitcom format 30 years ago, so I suspect the Flintstones will be updated in some way too