Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default If you could will 10 DC title runs into existence

Simple question. If you could use your will power to bring 10 DC title runs into existence, what would they be?

My ten:

1) Legion of Super Heroes (Pre Zero hour timeline/Paul Levitz)
    2) JLA (With Hal Jordan on the team alongside Green Arrow Black Canary)
    3) Green Arrow
    4) The Question (Vic Sage)
    5) Birds of Prey (Black Canary as lead alongside Huntress)
    6) Zatanna
    7) JSA
    8) Global Guardians
    9) Titans (Classic line up; Dick, Roy, Donna, Wally)
    10) JLA Dark (John Constantine as the lead)
    Last edited by Captain Nostalgia; 04-27-2021 at 11:36 PM.

Powergirl volume 2 (2009) [Jimmy Palmiotti, Justin Gray, Amanda Conner, and Paul Mounts]
    The Terrifics (2018) [Jeff Lemire · Ivan Reis]
    Blue Beetle volume 7 (2006) [John Rogers, Keith Giffen, and Cully Hamner]
    Batman and Robin (2009) [Grant Morison] pre-flashpoint
    Batgirl (2009) [Bryan Q. Miller · Phil Noto]
    Detective Comics v1 #871–881 [Scott Snyder, Jock, and Francesco Francavilla]
    Cyborg vol.1 [David F. Walker and Ivan Reis]{honorable mention to John Semper & team Paul Pelletier, Will Conrad, Tony Kordos} the Character changes they made better reflected where they wanted Cyborg to go at the time, shame it was short-lived. However, I do think Semper did a better job characterizing and flushing out Cyborg's support in his run. It would have been nice to see at least 25 to 50 issues
    Deathstroke vol.1 (2017) [Christopher Priest, Carlo Pagulayan]

Ironically,I can't think of a Nightwing run or Justice League run I'd add to this list when those are my two favorites.

This is tough. I almost added a Titans and Wonder Woman run to this, but I feel like they both ran their course. Same for teams like Justice League Odyssey, Secret Six, or the Nightwing Outsiders. I liked the teams and the characterizations, but I was never fully in love with the premise and overall plot for those titles.
    Last edited by Jabare; 04-28-2021 at 07:04 PM.
    The J-man

The problem with this exercise is the fact that today's DC writers/artists may not be able to live up to what had previously been done on series I'd like to see again.

Not to mention that quite a few writers and artists are no longer with us these days.

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    The problem with this exercise is the fact that today's DC writers/artists may not be able to live up to what had previously been done on series I'd like to see again.

Not to mention that quite a few writers and artists are no longer with us these days.
    Well for me, I would rather see a decent writer write a title I like than have my favourites in limbo.
    I'm more curious to see the diverse or popular titles people would like to see.

Quote Originally Posted by Jabare View Post
    Powergirl volume 2 (2009) [Jimmy Palmiotti, Justin Gray, Amanda Conner and Paul Mounts]
    Detective Comics v1 #871–881 [Scott Snyder, Jock and Francesco Francavilla]

EDIT more to come just thinking. I'm debating some Superman, Wonder Woman and Cyborg runs
    Power Girl is awesome! I would definitely pick that up.

I didn't read the Terrifics but I'm a big fan of the character from the Robinson/Geoff Johns run....so I would probably check that out to...also because it had Ted Kord in it.

1.Bring back Hellblazer with Spurrier and Campbell.
    2.Sharif with Davood Nassour trying to live up to Superman's example by becoming the hero of Los Angeles (or interest different American city).
    3. Emerald Tiger- a Connor Hawke solo.
    4. An update to the Superfriends's minority characters.
    5. Bowman Security with Roy and a few other characters.
    6. Infinity Inc set in the 1970s.
    7. The Question and Huntress - A twisted rom-com with Vic Sage and Helena Bertillini.
    8. Justice League Dark as a seperate title. John Constantine is optional but replacing him with Ambrose Pierce is fine.
    9. An older Stanley Dover tries his hand at being an occult detective. The monster is his sidekick.
    10. Livewire tries to go legit with Superman as her parole officer.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 04-28-2021 at 08:52 AM.

1. Haunted Tank - It's a ghost possessed freaking tank! How is that not cool?
    2. The Creature Commandos - A vampire, a werewolf, and Frankenstein's Monster fighting Nazis in WWII! How is that not cool?
    3. The Creature Commandos and the Haunted Tank - Like, this should just be freaking obvious. A vampire, a werewolf, and Frankenstein's Monster fighting Nazis in WWII with a ghost possessed freaking tank! How is that not cool?
    4. Amethyst, Princess of Gemworld - All I know about her are those DC Nation shorts on CN some years back. Frankly, if the comic is anything like those shorts, I'm sold.
    5. The Creeper - He's like the Joker, only instead of criminally insane he's heroically insane! How can you not love him?
    6. Superman and the Legion of Superheroes - Clark Kent Superman only, not Jon! I want a solid push to get LoSH as a part of Superman's mythos into the mainstream and pop culture.
    7. Detective Chimp - Holy crap I almost forgot about him! He's a detective, and he's a talking chimp! How is that not cool?
    8. Maps - The best character of Gotham Academy. Give her a book. Hell give her all the books!
    9. Maps and the Creature Commandos and Haunted Tank on Gemworld featuring Detective Chimp - I wasn't kidding!
    10. Lois Lane and Krypto the Superdog - I mean, do I even need to explain this one?

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post

You don't seem to understand the nature of comic book imagination threads like this. The idea is NOT to come up with possible. The idea is to talk about what you've liked and would like to see more of. Rather than being a problem, as you ohrase it, it's actually a strength which initiates discussion.

As for my contribution, I have a few, but then again, too few to mention. When I get close enough to ten, I will post them.
    I’ll don the mask and wear the cape
    If I am super, how can I wait?

I miss the more obscure teams. With that introduction:

1. Doom Patrol
    2. Challengers of the Unknown
    3. The Terrifics
    4. JSA
    5. Justice League Dark
    6. Freedom Fighters
    7. Legion of Super-Heroes
    8. Secret Six(I miss that dynamic)
    9. Brave and the Bold(rotating cast would be fun, with Batman to bring readers)
    10. Warlord(DC needs to have something other than super-heroes)
    Last edited by etrumble; 04-28-2021 at 01:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    As for my contribution, I have a few, but then again, too few to mention. When I get close enough to ten, I will post them.
    Here are my ten books.

1) Justice Society of America - a book about the first superhero team and how they still mean something today. James Robinson doing what he wants.

2) All-Star Comics – An original Graphic Novel series with old style, one story, multi-artist JSA stories not necessarily in continuity. Various authors

3) Question – a book about Vic Sage’s dealing with modern, real-life urban problems. Mark Russell relevance

4) Legion of Super-Heroes – a large team of beings from various planets find inspiration from heroes of the past and use that historical example to protect life in the far future. Very Hickmanesque

5) Star Hunters – Donovan Flynt leads a ragtag group of space adventurers against a corporate run Planet Earth in the future.

6) Thriller – The original Fleming/Von Eeden version, not what came afterwards. Near future, slightly advanced tech. Essentially a modern take on old Doc Savage stories. If Doc regularly swapped genders, that is.

7) Super Team Family - a series of limited series where a group of heroes team-up and do stuff. Adventures big enough for multiple heroes, but not quite big enough for line-wide events.

8) Wonder Woman ’68 – a modern take on the O’Neil/Sekowsky era, complete with Emma Peel like fashion. Diana faces a time in which America is deeply questioning everything and operating with God-like powers and abilities may not help her in her quest. Why does a civilization on the verge of walking on the moon continue to kill themselves?

9) JLI/Superbuddies/I can’t believe it’s the Justice League – More DeMatteis/Giffen/Maguire fun.

10) Dr. Fate – Kent and Inza in mystic adventures dealing with the pesky Nabu while they fight for the Lords of Order (who aren’t always the best side to be on).
    I’ll don the mask and wear the cape
    If I am super, how can I wait?

1) Red Robin - Starring Tim Drake, carving him out his own distinct place in the DC universe with Spoiler and Cassandra Cain as supporting cast.

2) Justice Society of America - Set in the modern day with Jay Garrick, Alan Scott and Wildcat at the head of a team of veteran and legacy heroes. I'd also like it to have a back-up feature showing the team's adventures during World War II.

3) Green Lantern - Starring Kyle Rayner, primarily space-based and exploring the full scope of the Green Lantern Corps.

4) Titans - Starring Nightwing, Donna Troy, Starfire, Cyborg, Arsenal, Raven and Beast Boy. I'd like to see this establish the Titans as a significant force in their own right, not just as mentors but as an elite squad.

5) Justice League: Legacy - Starring all of the legacy heroes that DC seems to have forgotten about, overwritten or mistreated; a team led by Wally West and consisting of Green Lantern (Kyle Rayner), Red Robin (Tim Drake), Wonder Girl (Cassie Sandsmark), Superboy (Conner Kent) and Green Arrow (Connor Hawke).

6) Birds of Prey - Starring Oracle, Black Canary, Huntress and a revolving cast of heroines recruited for specific missions.

7) New Gods - Focused on the intergalactic politics surrounding the New Gods and Apokolips, with all of DC's space pantheon up for grabs. Basically DC meets Game of Thrones.

8) Blue Beetle - Starring Jaime Reyes with Ted Kord and Booster Gold as his mentors.

9) Justice League: Omniverse - Essentially a DC version of Marvel's Exiles. Pull together a cast of heroes from across the omniverse and send them on mission to alternate realities.

10) League of Shadows - Starring Cassandra Cain, Connor Hawke, Bronze Tiger, Richard Dragon and Lady Shiva. A chance to delve into the martial arts side of the DC universe.

Quote Originally Posted by Jabare View Post
    Powergirl volume 2 (2009) [Jimmy Palmiotti, Justin Gray, Amanda Conner, and Paul Mounts]
    Detective Comics v1 #871–881 [Scott Snyder, Jock, and Francesco Francavilla]
    Cyborg vol.1 [David F. Walker and Ivan Reis]{honorable mention to John Semper & team Paul Pelletier, Will Conrad, Tony Kordos} the Character changes they made better reflected where they wanted Cyborg to go at the time, shame it was short-lived. However, I do think Semper did a better job characterizing and flushing out Cyborg's support in his run. It would have been nice to see at least 25 to 50 issues
    Deathstroke vol.1 (2017) [Christopher Priest, Carlo Pagulayan]

Ironically,I can't think of a Nightwing run or Justice League run I'd add to this list when those are my two favorites.

This is tough. I almost added a Titans and Wonder Woman run to this, but I feel like they both ran their course. Same for teams like Justice League Odyssey, Secret Six, or the Nightwing Outsiders. I liked the teams and the characterizations, but I was never fully in love with the premise and overall plot for those titles.
    Yes to all of this!

I also loved Palmiotti and Gray’s Harley Quinn run.

Would love to see The Power Company given another shot, with Busiek back as writer.
    I’m

The Outlaws- Capes and costumes more accustomed to being on the "gray side" of things than others, yet still ultimately do good work.
    Super Sons- You knew it was coming from me, don't lie.
    Frag-tastic!- Crush and Lobo "bond". Crush looking for a long lasting relationship, Lobo looking for bounty, and forced to work together by forces outside of their control.
    Batgirl Rangers! (title may or may not violate copyright)- The Batgirl proteges of Babs work together to fight crime, and get home in time to do homework (dance lessons for Cass).
    Justice League Dark- The supernatural is always abound with danger. Danger that can only be stopped by those that can tap into it best!
    Titans Academy- Without the love triangle (yes, it bugged me that much)
    The Endless- In a place that only a few can be, worlds are observed. Some have heroes that do what is right! Some have no super traits at all. Yet, all are within the domain of the Endless. Neither evil, nor benevolent, they simply are. But sometimes, they grow curious about the state of lesser beings, and thus begins the story...
    Static Shock- Virgil is a high school kid by day, laying low from bullies and thugs, and the cool new hero, Static Shock! Can he keep his secret from his family? Can he stop other emerging metahumans? And can he stay awake in class!? Find out next time!

Spectacular Member

Impulse, Supersons, Young Justice and Titans

Extraordinary Member

Red Hood - give Jason a solo agian
    Hitman - after all the reboots it's time to bring the whole crew from Noonan's back to life
    Etrigan - contiuation of his 90s run
    All Star Squadron/ Young All Stars - a continuation that picks up, where this series topped in the late 80s
    Scare Tactics - the adventures of a rock band consiting of mosnters on the run from a goverment agency (I#m kind of wandering why this was never made into a CW series)
    New Titans - an alterante Version of events that picks up after "The New Teen Titans: Games", and ignores all the crap that happend in the later years of Marv Wolfmans run
    Manhunter - Kate Spencer, continuation of the Pre Flash point Run
    Deathstroke - a series in line with the Marv Wolfman Run on the character
    Arak Son of Thunder - I want to see him to return to America at some point
    Anarky - I still think the idea of a Teen Genius fighting corruption has a lot of potential

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    Yes to all of this!

I also loved Palmiotti and Gray’s Harley Quinn run.

Would love to see The Power Company given another shot, with Busiek back as writer.
    I’m

I'll always read a Busiek comic. A new Power Company would be interesting. I think readers would be pretty receptive of it.
    The J-man