Default Jott (Jean and Scott) Appreciation 2021

I don't know if anyone else has started this thread. If they did, I apologize to the mods. But if not, I'll get the ball rolling.

And it's a good day for that because X-Men Legends #3 came out and had some wonderful, classic X-Factor Scott/Jean moments. Louise Simonson hasn't lost her touch or her love for these characters. They're still delightful, raising baby Nathan and trying to squeeze in some romantic moments before Apocalypse ruins their day. I highly recommend it.

Jean didn't show up in Cable #10, but there were some good Summers family moments. And those are always fun.
    Join me on the official website for X-men Supreme, home of Marvel Universe 1015. Want a fresh take on X-men? Click below to enter the official home of Marvel at it's most Supreme!

Or if you want, check out my YouTube channel, Jack's World.

Astonishing Member Grinning Soul's Avatar

Thanks for the suggestion and for creating this thread.

I haven't read it yet, but I really want to. I love Louise Simonson's X-factor.

I wish Jean wasn't a shared character between different writers nowadays. I wish she was in one book and that book was written by a female writer. If Jean is to be in this role of a mother, I'd like to see her acting as mother in more than cooking dinner, you know?

We normally see Scott being a father and being affected by his fatherhood but, except for Simonson's, Marvel has mostly ignored Jean's motherhood.

I don't want to take anything from Scott or Madelyine, but Jean is Nathan's parent too. I don't understand why Scott's bond with Nathan is supposed to be stronger than hers.

When they go to the orphanage in Nebraska to rescue baby Chris (= Nathan), Scott isn't a father yet. He wonders/confesses that he won't be able to recognise the baby. He's as much a genetic donor as Jean at that point. They become Nathan's parents there, together, when Jean - with only a trace of her telepathy - recognises the baby and bonds with him.

People also tend to forget they spend around 12-15 years in the future raising that baby. And then, when they come back to their present, they want to do it all over again. Really: in the first issue of The Twelve (the very story that ends with Scott being possessed by Apocalypse) there is a flashback in which Scott and Jean are shown happy, making plans to take a break and have children.

None of that loving, strong family bond, is ever mentioned during Morrison's run and that became such a gospel when it comes to their relationship... It's unfortunate, really.

But since it's an appreciation thread, I think I can say this: for me, they are (still) the best Marvel couple ever. I mean, also because comics are visual media and they look so iconic together!

BANNED

Marvel has killed this couple off for good in the HoxPox era by making Jean now actually cheat behind Scott's back with Logan tsk tsk tsk

Astonishing Member Grinning Soul's Avatar

Perhaps they really killed them off for good.

But I don't think Jean is cheating. I think they are in an open marriage. Scott was shown on the boat with Emma on her day off. What are we supposed to think he's doing there? Keeping an eye on Nathan while he dates one of her daughters?

I think their relationship is being used to reinforce ideas such as: "I'm not ashamed" and "mutants upgraded morality".

I hope it means there's something wrong with the characters when they're resurrected. Because, for me, there is so much wrong with that society… The *law* of “make more mutants”, in particular, has such horrible implications.

But who knows? It really depends on what is considered a soul, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Grinning Soul View Post
    Thanks for the suggestion and for creating this thread.

I haven't read it yet, but I really want to. I love Louise Simonson's X-factor.

I wish Jean wasn't a shared character between different writers nowadays. I wish she was in one book and that book was written by a female writer. If Jean is to be in this role of a mother, I'd like to see her acting as mother in more than cooking dinner, you know?

We normally see Scott being a father and being affected by his fatherhood but, except for Simonson's, Marvel has mostly ignored Jean's motherhood.

I don't want to take anything from Scott or Madelyine, but Jean is Nathan's parent too. I don't understand why Scott's bond with Nathan is supposed to be stronger than hers.

When they go to the orphanage in Nebraska to rescue baby Chris (= Nathan), Scott isn't a father yet. He wonders/confesses that he won't be able to recognise the baby. He's as much a genetic donor as Jean at that point. They become Nathan's parents there, together, when Jean - with only a trace of her telepathy - recognises the baby and bonds with him.

People also tend to forget they spend around 12-15 years in the future raising that baby. And then, when they come back to their present, they want to do it all over again. Really: in the first issue of The Twelve (the very story that ends with Scott being possessed by Apocalypse) there is a flashback in which Scott and Jean are shown happy, making plans to take a break and have children.

None of that loving, strong family bond, is ever mentioned during Morrison's run and that became such a gospel when it comes to their relationship... It's unfortunate, really.

But since it's an appreciation thread, I think I can say this: for me, they are (still) the best Marvel couple ever. I mean, also because comics are visual media and they look so iconic together!
    I love all of this. I loved the family bond they had in so much of X-Factor. I noticed they really distanced Jean from baby Nathan right before they sent him to the future, and all the grief and trauma was about Scott as his father. It felt like dishonest writing not to address that Jean was a parent to the baby too. Letting Scott and Jean raise Nathan in the future for awhile was a real gift to right that wrong, and now getting kid Cable with them is a joy, although it has issues that haven't been addressed (like the murder of adult Cable!).

Quote Originally Posted by EldonMaguan View Post
    Marvel has killed this couple off for good in the HoxPox era by making Jean now actually cheat behind Scott's back with Logan tsk tsk tsk
    Define “cheating”?
    “Generally, one knows me before hating me” -Quicksilver