Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    BANNED

Default Whatever happened to New Warriors 2021? Is it already permanently cancelled?

Did online backlash kill it before its actual release? The Union and Children of the Atom actually got released...

I think so. The level of hate that COTA (and The Union? didn't hear that) got wasn't comparable to it. And there was the issue that even the groups that they were trying to represent felt like that was bad representation.

Astonishing Member Drops Of Venus's Avatar

I think it's pretty safe to assume it is. One year has passed since it was supposed to come out, Marvel Comics has adjusted to the pandemic and returned to their regular publishing schedule, the artist has moved on to another project, and still no news of the book. Maybe they'll revisit the concept again someday in the future, but I think that particular version of the book is done.

And I don't think the online backlash alone killed the book. I think if the pandemic had never happened, it would've still come out, controversy and all. I remember Cebulski defending the book on his Twitter and saying he hoped people would read it before judging. My guess is that the timing just doomed the book. Since it was already revolved in bad PR, it was easier for them to axe when it came down to reduce the line.

release it online. the production costs will be minimized.

Astonishing Member Drops Of Venus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    release it online. the production costs will be minimized.
    I think if that was an option, they would've done it last year when some books went digital-exclusive for a while. The fact that NW wasn't even considered just points towards them giving up on the book. It would be a little weird for them to try to do it now, since no other book is getting that digital-first treatment anymore.

Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

I suspect it was a combination of backlash and COVID. Basically, they readjusted their schedule in response to COVID and cut production. This book was part of a specific event so the changing of publication made it trickier to do. I think if demand was high enough, they probably would have made it work but preorders were probably pretty poor so they cut it.

It's a shame. The writer is actually really underrated, imo, and wrote a really good Lockjaw miniseries. I'm hoping he gets another chance.
    Matt Murdock's cooler twin brother

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
    Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons

Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Other tie-ins from the Empyre and Outlawed events got cancelled too. Don't worry about it.
    "Cable was right!"

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Murdock View Post
    I suspect it was a combination of backlash and COVID. Basically, they readjusted their schedule in response to COVID and cut production. This book was part of a specific event so the changing of publication made it trickier to do. I think if demand was high enough, they probably would have made it work but preorders were probably pretty poor so they cut it.

It's a shame. The writer is actually really underrated, imo, and wrote a really good Lockjaw miniseries. I'm hoping he gets another chance.
    Yeah, the backlash to New Warriors was from everyone both liberal and conservative.

But it would likely have still been released if not for the covid-19 disruption.
    Last edited by Username taken; 04-28-2021 at 01:02 PM.

Invincible Member

I would have liked to have read it. I'm still convinced it's not exactly what everyone assumed it was.

I'm glad it didn't get released. The New Warriors would have looked like the Child catcher from chitty chitty bang bang.

The warriors have had enough bad press over the years.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by kevlon View Post
    I'm glad it didn't get released. The New Warriors would have looked like the Child catcher from chitty chitty bang bang.

The warriors have had enough bad press over the years.
    Agreed. Being 'The Man' in these crappy Civil Wars has never reflected well on characters

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    Other tie-ins from the Empyre and Outlawed events got cancelled too. Don't worry about it.
    Empyre lost quite a few tie-ins, yes, but not Outlawed. New Warriors was the only one dropped. Ms. Marvel, Miles Morales, Champions, and Power Pack were the only others ever intended to be released, and were. Ironheart 2020 was effectively a tie-in too, but was advertised as part of Iron Man 2020 instead (which then broke continuity when COVID caused Outlawed to now be set after Empyre instead of before it, meaning that IM2020 and Outlawed can't take place simultaneously), while the upcoming Reptil book and the recent Werewolf by Night both also use the Outlawed status quo but are not official tie-ins. Officially Outlawed is over, but the Kamala's Law status quo remains in place for now.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Wiccan View Post
    I think so. The level of hate that COTA (and The Union? didn't hear that) got wasn't comparable to it. And there was the issue that even the groups that they were trying to represent felt like that was bad representation.
    As I said in another thread-unless it's released for everyone to read it-you can't claim it makes anyone look bad.

Last time I check no race or sexual identity are not monoliths. No matter how bad that cast might have been they do not represent everyone in the LGBTQA or POC.

If Black Panther fans can put up with him being trashed in his own book for 5 years. I would think folks could ignore a 5 part mini series.

This is the same writer who did Black Panther vs Deadpool and worked on a late night talk show in satire.

Since it was already revolved in bad PR, it was easier for them to axe when it came down to reduce the line.
    Problem- folks have already ordered the book including prepaying for it.

Marvel is still taking subscriptions.

That is money Marvel has to pay back.

So if Marvel is not going to do that-are we going to see a revised version of the book?

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    I would have liked to have read it. I'm still convinced it's not exactly what everyone assumed it was.
    I will agree on this...if only to catch up on old characters...no one is really using them.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris0013 View Post
    I will agree on this...if only to catch up on old characters...no one is really using them.
    I guess then you have that old dilema, would you rather your favorites not be used, or be badly used? There is no correct answer, of course. A lot of personal preferences and opinion go into this. I was quite satisfied with how the New Warriors was used in the last time they were around (by Yost), whereas I didn't really care for the reality TV phase (which includes the Civil War debacle) and the Ex-mutants phase. I have to say all I was seeing of this new phase also didn't make me want to pick on the book, so I had already decided to give it a pass, so now I'm waiting for the next iteration, and hoping it'll be more to my liking.

Peace