All-New Member

Default Superman question

Hi everybody,

I would like to ask you all a question:

I want to read the classic/most important stories (golden, silver, bronze, etc) prior to Crisis on Infinite Earths of Superman. I've found the books Superman: Celebration of 75 years and the Action Comics: 80 years of Superman deluxe quite interesting. They seem to have different stories in it and the "75 years" is more expensive than the 80 years here in Canada. For those of you who know better, what are the differences between them and which one would you recommend? Or is there any other book you think is worth reading?

I'm not sure if I want to read the Golden Age Omnibuses at the moment. Right now, I'm looking for a good collection of important stories from Superman (and other heroes later), so I can have a good understanding about these heroes.

To finish it off: Are these 75/80 years books of the others DC heroes good too?

Thanks,

Alessandro
    Last edited by Alessandro78; 04-28-2021 at 04:27 AM.

Hello Alessandro and Welcome!

I love your enthusiasm and I think you have the right idea about wanting to understand and learn about the heroes in which you are interested. This is the best way. Personally, I do think that the very best way is to start at the beginning so that you can see the character evolution that happens throughout his/her history. This will enable you to learn of side characters, powers, history, etc.

"The important stories" can be a personal opinion of sorts, as everyone might have their own idea of what is important. That being said, I do not know which books would be useful to you, but there are plenty of others on here who are Superman buffs. I am sure you will get some suggestions soon.

Happy reading!
    [Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El 10-15-2020 12:32 PM]

"Jason Aaron should know there is already a winner of the Phoenix Force and his name is Phoenixx9."

Like a Red Dragon, The Phoenix shall Soar in 2024!

All-New Member

I too love to start from the beginning. However, it will take a lot of time and money...

Thanks!

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Although both of the books you mentioned contain post-COIE stories, I think they're probably good starting points for what you're looking for. If you're hesitant to jump into the Golden Age Omnibus's, DC did a line of smaller, more affordable trade paperbacks titled Superman Chronicles that features the same material. They're out of print, but can still be found used on Amazon and eBay for decent prices.

To answer your other question, there are quite a few "75/80 Years Of" books available for many of DC's long-running characters. Whether or not they're good is subjective; some collect great issues while others contain random material I never thought would be reprinted.
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

If you want a cool overview of the first 3 decades and don't mind a used hardcover book that's 50 years old mostly in Black and White, you might want to try this one:
    https://www.amazon.com/Superman-30s-.../dp/B001F2CAHS

Incredible Member

A good start would be any of the "Greatest Stories Ever Told....." compilation books as they are a good sampling of Superman's long history, granted not all Superman stories would be essential winners especially many from the Bronze Age pre-Crisis when many stories were of the "one and done" variety.

IMO the John Byrne revamp is my favorite as Byrne sort of "Marvelized" the character with more realism and engaging storylines at least up until the Death/Return of Superman where all titles were going all over the place.

All-New Member

Thank you all for your replies.

I have the John Byrne Man of Steel Vol 1. I think I'll start reading that after I finish COIE and start buying the Omnibuses little by little.

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Alessandro78 View Post
    Thank you all for your replies.

I have the John Byrne Man of Steel Vol 1. I think I'll start reading that after I finish COIE and start buying the Omnibuses little by little.
    You're off to a good start, what with Byrne's vol. 2 already available, with vol. 3 coming later this year. The fourth and final volume has also been announced, and that completes the run.
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Astonishing Member Johnny Thunders!'s Avatar

I think the Superman Decade series have a nice selection of well known stories. Really nice trade paperbacks.