Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Extraordinary Member From The Shadows's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by witchboy View Post
    I gave up shortly after Byrne left, the quality just really dropped off, and nothing I heard encouraged me to come back to it.
    I did really enjoy Alpha Flight vol 2 though https://marvel.fandom.com/wiki/Alpha_Flight_Vol_2_1
    I did as well. I've mentioned it quite a bit. But I think we are all of two people that liked it. The characters were fine. Most every one else is say its bad or so/so.

Quote Originally Posted by From The Shadows View Post
    I did as well. I've mentioned it quite a bit. But I think we are all of two people that liked it. The characters were fine. Most every one else is say its bad or so/so.
    I enjoyed it as well.
    “The Avengers have been the one point of stability in my entire life. And if The Avengers call… then The Scarlet Witch will always answer.”

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

I unapologetically love Alpha Flight, even during its dark days. As others have said, Mantlo's run is probably the weakest (with Hudnall's not being much better), but I think it picked up quite a bit during the short runs by Nicieza, Lobdell, and later Simon Furman.

Oh, and another vote for Seagle's Vol. 2 here! Great stuff for the most part - even if Rouleau's art dragged down the tail end.
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

My favorite run comes way after Byrne...Fabian Nicieza. Frankly, the Byrne run is overrated (keep in mind Alpha vol 1 is my all time favorite title).

Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

Hey everyone, quick update. I've decided to take everyone's advice and keep reading until I can't stand it anymore. It's definitely duller (which is arguably weird since it's more traditional superhero than what Byrne was doing). The Puck demon thing was pretty bad too.

However, the reason I hesitate to stop is there are little continuity things that I feel are good to read. The Lady Deathstrike issue is an important part of continuity, bridging the gap between Daredevil's Lord Darkwind story and the villain we know today. The fact that it makes no sense is relatively inconsequential to this.
    Matt Murdock's cooler twin brother

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
    Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons

Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Murdock View Post
    Hey everyone, quick update. I've decided to take everyone's advice and keep reading until I can't stand it anymore. It's definitely duller (which is arguably weird since it's more traditional superhero than what Byrne was doing). The Puck demon thing was pretty bad too.
    However, the reason I hesitate to stop is there are little continuity things that I feel are good to read. The Lady Deathstrike issue is an important part of continuity, bridging the gap between Daredevil's Lord Darkwind story and the villain we know today. The fact that it makes no sense is relatively inconsequential to this.
    There are going to be some issues that are UNBEARABLE to read (others mention Mantlo's run... which yes, I STRONGLY disliked... but there's a story that involves Llan the Sorcerer which I think goes down as some of the worse comic story and art ever seen....)

I was lucky to interview Hundall before he passed - and he talked about his run of Alpha Flight, and how he was sent to clean up the train wreck it'd become. And he'd hoped to bring other heroes in to make it more widely acknowledged.

http://comicreliefpodcast.com/archives/1375
    Need Comics? Consider using my Affiliate link - helps keep my Podcast ad free!
    https://www.mycomicshop.com/?AffID=1055159P01
    Check out the Comic Relief Podcast! - The podcast all about comics!