Quote Originally Posted by Kieran_Frost View Post

The Oscars aren't and shouldn't be about which film is seen the most. They have an award for that, it's called the box office. So lets keep the art with the Oscars and the box-office with the action films, slasher movies and romantic comedies.
Quote Originally Posted by green_garnish View Post
This was the point of my first snarky answer to the thread. The Oscar's should be an insiders club focused on excellence in filmmaking, and not some kind of weird amalgamation of what's good and what's popular. The event loses credibility in both categories.
And to which I say, then they need to stop caring about ratings as ratings will continue to plummet.

Quote Originally Posted by C_Miller View Post
And I think the answer is that it is impossible for the Oscars to get their ratings back without lowering the quality of the movies they nominate.

The first movie I saw on the big screen after the pandemic was Judas and the Black Messiah, which was nominated for Best Picture. Nomadland didnt' get a theater release in my area, but it was one of my most anticipated movies this year. I likely would have had that on my list of first films to see in a theater, so I don't know what to tell you.
Which I also hate the limited release films that get nominated and win Oscars.
"This movie was released in New York and Los Angeles only for one weekend in December and made $50,000 but it is nominated for best movie of the year." (Ok, maybe an exaggeration, but it is close.)

My personal feeling, Covid aside of course, but any movie needs a full theatrical release. Which let's say is over 2000 screens domestically. It also needs to make 20 million in the first month of release. I'm throwing those numbers out as starting points, we can argue nuances. This concept of making money after we get nominated seems pandering.