Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by C_Miller View Post
    I don't like basketball. I live in an area that is extremely basketball-centric and it can be hard to avoid, especially during March Madness. But I would never for a second wish that it stopped existing. It's so easy to put up with things you don't like.
    Eh, I've never said I wasn't shallow. And it's not like the awards themselves would stop being handed out, it just wouldn't be televised. There's a bunch of awards, even film awards, that aren't televised. And besides, basketball isn't losing its audience and its ratings - but the Oscars are. All I'm doing is rooting for a trend that's already underway.

Niffleheim

Quote Originally Posted by C_Miller View Post
    I don't like basketball. I live in an area that is extremely basketball-centric and it can be hard to avoid, especially during March Madness. But I would never for a second wish that it stopped existing. It's so easy to put up with things you don't like.
    are Sports and the Oscars even comparable? Box Office and Live Sport competition maybe but not the Oscars.

Astonishing Member

They way I look at it is I hope for whomever it helps the oscars do better. But it doesnt change my life one way or the other.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Tofali View Post
    are Sports and the Oscars even comparable? Box Office and Live Sport competition maybe but not the Oscars.
    Well, some would say figure skating is closer to the way The Oscars award winners than some other sports.

Quote Originally Posted by Tofali View Post
    Vakanai used the Olympics as an example. Perhaps a better example would be the Grammys. I feel the same way about the Grammys that a lot of people (Vakanai included) feels about the Oscars. But again, I don't wish them out of existence because I know there are people that enjoy them. And the existence of the Grammys really doesn't hinder my life in the least. I just ignore them.

Stream on Twitch and Youtube like all the other award shows. Show movie trailers during the award show.
    december 21st has passed where are my superpowers?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    Then how should quality be measured? Who decides quality? What rules should we use? Who gets to decide those rules?
    Movie making is a combination of disciplines that people pay a lot of money to learn how to do well. The industry decides the rules, just as all industries decide their own rules. Sometimes people break through the rules and define new rules. What self- respecting software engineer advocates a waterfall process these days?

There are people who break through, like Spielberg, and there are people who pretend, like Snyder.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    Then how should quality be measured? Who decides quality? What rules should we use? Who gets to decide those rules?
    I think folks want to have either seen or heard of the films being nominated.

No one wants the mess the NAACP awards has been nothing but the Tyler Perry and who cries for the most attention awards.

Thinking about it, the films I watched the last decade that were good beyond a dumb scifi action popcorn way...

JOKER
    Mr. Holmes
    Shin Godzilla
    Logan

Still genre stuff, but better/higher end genre stuff.

Shin won Japan's version of the Oscar.

And was super high grossing.

FWIW.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    I think folks want to have either seen or heard of the films being nominated.

No one wants the mess the NAACP awards has been nothing but the Tyler Perry and who cries for the most attention awards.

I don't think its the same anymore regarding that. Look in 1977 the best picture nominees were Rocky, All the presidents men, Bound for Glory, Network, Taxi Driver. Now all these movies did great to pretty well at the box office. If you put these movies out in the theater today with modern production maybe Rocky would get people to come to theater. They would not do well at the box office. What puts peoples butts in the seats now at movies is way different than 1977. After Rocky these other movies would basically be Netflix movies or mid to low box office movies. Except maybe if Taratino directed Taxi driver. But its just a different time. The public isn't going to go to the movies to watch all the presidents men or a movie like that in any numbers now.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by OopsIdiditagain View Post
    Stream on Twitch and Youtube like all the other award shows. Show movie trailers during the award show.
    This would be a good idea. Kinda like wrestling where some may say ratings aren't where they should be but one spot might have a mil views on youtube. Showing ppl are paying attention to certain things. Then again the average WWE star is probably more popular than the movies nominated for oscars...

BANNED

My answer to the original question is- nominate movies that most of us has seen.

Godfather was the highest-grossing film of 1972, it came out in theaters on March 14, 1972. At the 45th Academy Awards on March 27, 1973, the film won the Oscars for Best Picture, Best Actor (Brando), and Best Adapted Screenplay (for Puzo and Coppola).

Everyone has heard of and seen the Godfather before the Oscars made the announcement.

1972 was indeed a different year.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by inisideguy View Post
    I don't think its the same anymore regarding that. Look in 1977 the best picture nominees were Rocky, All the presidents men, Bound for Glory, Network, Taxi Driver. Now all these movies did great to pretty well at the box office. If you put these movies out in the theater today with modern production maybe Rocky would get people to come to theater. They would not do well at the box office. What puts peoples butts in the seats now at movies is way different than 1977. After Rocky these other movies would basically be Netflix movies or mid to low box office movies. Except maybe if Taratino directed Taxi driver. But its just a different time. The public isn't going to go to the movies to watch all the presidents men or a movie like that in any numbers now.
    There was certainly an era when mainstream money movies were getting nominated, a lot of the highest grossing films as in top 10 money making movies in the golden age of Hollywood used to get nominated in big categories, I could be wrong but I think things started to go wrong with the Oscars when Hollywood discovered CGI and VFX in a big way, this CGI and vfx movies now became the big money makers and the Oscars felt they could not just start awarding those type of films over serious drama that don't really need cgi and vfx and that friends, is when mainstream movies stopped mattering to the Oscars.
    Last edited by Castle; 05-06-2021 at 01:22 AM.