Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Default How can the Oscars get their Ratings back.

I am sure many know by now the oscar ratings crashed to less than 10 million views. Despite some extreme right wing people in the media taking time to gloat and mock the oscars for going what they call ''woke'' as the reason they have lost 90% of their audience. I think there is more to explaining why people don't watch the Oscars any more.

Where do you think they went wrong, that they have lost almost 40 million viewers since the 2010s?

Barely any movies came out last year, much less any that people actually watched, because of theater shutdowns. The average person had zero reason to care this year.
    Last Read: Zatanna and the Ripper vol. 1

Monthly Pull List: Alan Scott: The Green Lantern, Batman, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Beware the Planet of the Apes, Birds of Prey, Daredevil, Green Arrow, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Ducks, Justice Society of America, Negaduck, Nightwing, Phantom Road, Shazam!, Suicide Squad: Dream Team, Superman '78: The Metal Curtain, Thundercats, Titans

Astonishing Member AndrewCrossett's Avatar

This year was an anomaly. Most people never heard of, much less saw any of the nominees. The movies weren't so much "woke" as small, because you can't make any big-budget films with all the theaters closed.

The decline in viewership is probably mostly explained as being in line with the general decline in TV viewership over the past decade or so. Everything is online now. Ten years from now TV sets will just be big hi-def monitors for playing on-demand streaming content.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Yeah, with the drought of movies this past year I'm not sure why they even held them.

The right wingers complaining about the woke being a bad thing is just stupid racist crap.

Personally I just stopped watching the Oscars back in the early/mid 00's when I realized the types of movies the Oscars love tend to be the kind of movies I don't watch. I'm a sci-fi/horror/superhero/monster/action nerd, the deep drama yada yada movies that comprise the bulk of those award shows I never even watch. Hell, many of the nominees are films I've never even heard of, much less would be interested in watching.

Astonishing Member

The lack of movies anyone care about that came out. The date change. The format change. Lack of celebrities (partly because of the lack of big movies)

More people would watch if the nomination pool more closely matched the box office. The Oscars have a reputation of being out of touch to the tastes of the mainstream.

Also this last Oscars was super poorly produced and unwatchable. Watching the whole thing was torture. How could you have this badly produced a show?

Many people are saying that some nominations for the Snyder Cut would have brought the mass audience back in.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Stream it on twitch.

Quote Originally Posted by Frobisher View Post
    Many people are saying that some nominations for the Snyder Cut would have brought the mass audience back in.
    I don't know if the Snyder fans are considered "many" by normal Oscar standards...

Ultimate Member

I actually laughed out loud at this.

Well played sir.

Astonishing Member

I guess it sounds like ratings were so bad, that the extra couple hundred thousand might have made a difference!

Interviewer: So Zach, what was your secret to winning this Best Editing Oscar?

Zach: You just don't edit anything at all, leave all the footage you shot in the film!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    The right wingers complaining about the woke being a bad thing is just stupid racist crap.

Personally I just stopped watching the Oscars back in the early/mid 00's when I realized the types of movies the Oscars love tend to be the kind of movies I don't watch. I'm a sci-fi/horror/superhero/monster/action nerd, the deep drama yada yada movies that comprise the bulk of those award shows I never even watch. Hell, many of the nominees are films I've never even heard of, much less would be interested in watching.

As a person who does not consider myself left wing or right wing but more as an independent that uses logic, though had a personal dislike for Trump and wanted him gone as President, maybe the USA may has just embraced to much extremism wherever they can find it.

As a person of colour myself, I had no issues with diversity as long as the merits of the movie still had the final say, who gets nominated and win, but I am not sure how much this matters anymore in the last few years since .....Oscars so white. I myself did not see most of this movies nominated , I did see Parasite last year and it was good enough to win Best Picture for me, , but all that may be interpreted to many other people who thinks he won only because he was Korean. if people have that mentality now.... they won't watch anymore, even many POCs.

I'm a sci-fi/horror/superhero/monster/action nerd, the deep drama yada yada movies that comprise the bulk of those award shows I never even watch. Hell, many of the nominees are films I've never even heard of, much less would be interested in watching.
    there is always the technical categories, I see that Nolan's Tenet won for VFX. Which is typical for a Nolan film. However I agree, that they should open more space for sci-fi/horror/superhero/monster/action nerd as long as they are up to the standard of their deep drama and their film making is top notch.
    Last edited by Castle; 04-28-2021 at 10:20 AM.

BANNED

I am not sure there is anything the Oscars can do.

Ratings are contingent on:
    -- Serious Adult Dramas having a popular audience.
    -- A really popular film also being critically liked (LOTR, Gladiator)
    -- Popular actors giving a performance audiences really like and get behind.

Oscars are like sports and audiences like to have a rooting interest, if you have a team that's not popular or drawing in advertising, then there's not much that can be done.

Oscars used to be a superbowl but now it gets the ratings of a lesser-tier event.

BANNED

2021: 9.85 million (Best Picture winner: Nomadland)

2020: 23.6 million (Parasite)

2019: 29.6 million (Green Book)

2018: 26.5 million (The Shape of Water)

2017: 32.9 million (Moonlight)

2016: 34.4 million (Spotlight)

2015: 37.2 million (Birdman)

2014: 43.7 million (12 Years a Slave)

2013: 40.3 million (Argo)

2012: 39.3 million (The Artist)

2011: 37.9 million (The King's Speech)

2010: 41.7 million (The Hurt Locker)

2009: 36.3 million (Slumdog Millionaire)

2008: 32.0 million (No Country for Old Men)

2007: 40.1 million (The Departed)

2006: 38.9 million (Crash)

2005: 42.1 million (Million Dollar Baby)

2004: 43.5 million (The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King)

2003: 33.0 million (Chicago)

2002: 41.7 million (A Beautiful Mind)

2001: 42.9 million (Gladiator)

2000: 46.3 million (American Beauty)

1999: 45.6 million (Shakespeare in Love)

1998: 55.2 million (Titanic)

Things seem to have gone wrong for them somewhere around 2017-2018.
    Last edited by Castle; 04-28-2021 at 10:15 AM.

Retired

Don't have a pandemic. Maybe the Academy should donate some money to help with that.

They should have aired this one on the radio. They could have packaged it as a tribute to their early history when that was how they were broadcast.