Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011
    Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Metaltron View Post
    Yeah, I wonder if there should be levels of budget Oscars or awards for new talent in front of or behind the camera. Really I think it requires a reshuffling of thinking what can be nominated both with stuff people know and what they should try and see. I think the principle of how they have awards for foreign and animated movies should be expanded into a greater range of categories.
    That might work

Quote Originally Posted by titanfan View Post
    There is actually is a growing amount of smaller/independent film makers who are saying that as the Big Studios have gotten involved, it has never been harder to get your movie noticed for an Oscar.

There's pre-nomination marketing, it's easier for bigger budgeted films (like in the low millions) to be seen at the higher profile film festivals, a lot of big studios basically have an "Oscar Movie" division set up for their studio to win Oscars.

They're kinda getting hammered both ways.
    I was not aware of that. Maybe money is the problem here?

Fantastic Member

I think the Oscars have lost their way a bit...looking at the 90's BP's those are classics looking at the 10's they win and then disappear. When you give a film like Moonlight an Oscar yeah you feel good about yourselves for the evening but then the movie just sort of falls into the either. You can do a four hour show...if it's entertaining. Losing montages, career award portions, the monologue you've stripped away the stuff that's good.