Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Deathstroke View Post
    Thanks, but since I don't watch horror movies I fail to see how that analogy works for me.
    There is room for horror and their fanbase will like that. IT could have been nominated and many Stephen King film. Also Get Out and Black Swann where horror and they were nominated. the horror genre when nominated for some odd reasons, most don't talk about them so much as real contenders to win best picture.
    Last edited by Castle; 04-29-2021 at 04:58 PM.

BANNED

Funny thing...I loved Million Dollar Baby. I didn't feel it was self-important. I might have ended up being a little depressing. But it was part of the story rather than depressing simply so it could be depressing. It was a well told tale.

It's hard to really fully explain what is a good dramatic movie as opposed to a dramatic movie that fails to smell the **** its shoveling.
    The oscars love their depressing movies. Glory was disturbing and depressing and it explains why Denzel won his first Oscar for that film.
    Last edited by Castle; 04-29-2021 at 04:59 PM.

Tired of being lectured to about the environment by people who have private jets.

Tired of folk preaching marxism when they don't pay their taxes and every movie is somehow a loss no matter how much money it makes.

Tired of being to about lectured about male privilege by the folks who own the casting couch.

Nice Party, Prospero. Make sure to stay away from the fella in bv the Red Mask.

Edit: Forgot to mention the rousting of the homeless from Union Station. And China and the Taiwan Hong Kong Uygur situations. But whatever. Enjoy your goodie bags and gold idols.
    Last edited by Ptrvc; 04-29-2021 at 05:26 PM.

BANNED

I can't think of a single telecast that less deserves to have ratings. Just die already.

Funny thing...I loved Million Dollar Baby. I didn't feel it was self-important. I might have ended up being a little depressing. But it was part of the story rather than depressing simply so it could be depressing. It was a well told tale.

It's hard to really fully explain what is a good dramatic movie as opposed to a dramatic movie that fails to smell the **** its shoveling.
    That was poor wording on my part. I didn't mean to say that MDB was self-important but I just could barely stand watching that much suffering even in the context of fiction. I could barely wait for it to be over.

I think suffering within a sci fi or fantasy or superhero movie is a bit different for me because there's not quite the feeling that it's reality.
    Power with Girl is better.

Extraordinary Member

Thanks, but since I don't watch horror movies I fail to see how that analogy works for me.
    I just meant it as a metaphor. Like it's torture watching those depressing movies. But some ppl seem to get pleasure out of it.

I'm not sure but there is something they are not doing right, as....there was a time when I had regularly seen most of the films they had picked for best picture but...

2007 (the Departed) is the last movie I have seen that the Oscar's nominated for best picture. (I was excited when it won)

I think No Country for old men, or slum dog millionaire is the last movies I heard of nominated for best picture (Still haven't seen them)

2010 to 2020 I don't think I've even heard of most of these films.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Nostalgia View Post
    I'm not sure but there is something they are not doing right, as....there was a time when I had regularly seen most of the films they had picked for best picture but...

2007 (the Departed) is the last movie I have seen that the Oscar's nominated for best picture. (I was excited when it won)

I think No Country for old men, or slum dog millionaire is the last movies I heard of nominated for best picture (Still haven't seen them)

2010 to 2020 I don't think I've even heard of most of these films.
    This is where I'm at. I saw The Departed and No Country for Old Men. Most of the movies since I've never seen, and most I never heard of outside of Oscar talk. Outside of Best Picture category it isn't much better. I saw Joker, but the other contenders for the awards it was nominated for? No clue. At least I know most of the animated movies for their category.

Considering I never cared for (let alone watched) any of these kinds of award shows, it doesn't matter to me. Be it movies, television, music, etc. I just never cared for these shows.

It also doesn't help that the few times I caught snippets, nominees and winners have generally been to those I barely know of, at best.

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    This is where I'm at. I saw The Departed and No Country for Old Men. Most of the movies since I've never seen, and most I never heard of outside of Oscar talk. Outside of Best Picture category it isn't much better. I saw Joker, but the other contenders for the awards it was nominated for? No clue. At least I know most of the animated movies for their category.
    Weird, I'm not the only one.

What happened to the Oscar's when people haven't even heard of the movies they've nominated for best picture for over a decade or so.

I use to get excited about best picture when it was Gladiator, Lord of the Rings, and the Departed, now it seems like there just nominating any ole crap??? Am I wrong? I haven't heard of the films from 2010 onward.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Castle View Post
    There is room for horror and their fanbase will like that. IT could have been nominated and many Stephen King film. Also Get Out and Black Swann where horror and they were nominated. the horror genre when nominated for some odd reasons, most don't talk about them so much as real contenders to win best picture.
    Pretty sure more people think of "Black Swan" as a psychological drama rather than straight horror.

Quote Originally Posted by green_garnish View Post
    I can't think of a single telecast that less deserves to have ratings. Just die already.
    It's really funny how much the Oscars make people angry. It is so easy to not care about them. It is the easiest thing that you will ever do in your life.
    Last edited by C_Miller; 04-30-2021 at 05:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by C_Miller View Post
    It's really funny how much the Oscars make people angry. It is so easy to not care about them. It is the easiest thing that you will ever do in your life.
    I mean, it's understandable - most channels show reruns on Oscar night since they think they can't compete with the Oscars. If you don't care for the Oscars, it's annoying.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by C_Miller View Post
    The Oscars dont upset me, I just talk about them because they are big part of films, are the perfect examples of when Academic spaces get compromised and truly believe their own tale that they are important.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Nostalgia View Post
    Weird, I'm not the only one.

What happened to the Oscar's when people haven't even heard of the movies they've nominated for best picture for over a decade or so.

I use to get excited about best picture when it was Gladiator, Lord of the Rings, and the Departed, now it seems like there just nominating any ole crap??? Am I wrong? I haven't heard of the films from 2010 onward.
    Your user name checks out.

We've kind of been talking about that up thread. Have the Oscars changed or have tastes changed? I'd say it's a little bit of both. You say you haven't heard of the films from 2010 on? Well, what would you nominate from that period. I'd imagine that for the most part, they would be the types of movies that the Academy has avoided for its entire history. I would argue that you have likely changed a bit as a film viewer. Perhaps you're a bit less adventurous. Because even as far back as last year, they were nominating Scorsese films and Tarantino films and Spielberg films. It's not like these are obscure filmmakers.

But also, the film landscape has changed. The middle has been surgically removed from cinemas. But more importantly, the movies Hollywood is spending money on making are not movies worthy of Oscars, in my opinion. The most expensive movie of 2000 was Mission Impossible II (which falls more in line with what's happening today), but the second most expensive movie was Gladiator. In 2019, the second most expensive movie was Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker. No one is shelling out 250 million dollars to make an original movie that would get the attention of the Academy anymore. 2003 was the last time that one of the Top Grossing movies won an Oscar and there have been only 2 nominees that have been on the Top Grossing movies list since 2009. Again, I ask is the problem the Oscars or is the problem the industry?