Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast
    Mighty Member

Default New Mutants #17 review *spoilers*

This will just be a brief review.

There are three mini-stories running in parallel - Farouk & Wolfsbane, Anole & the other young mutants, Karma & Moonstar.

The main story and adventure was that of Karma and Moonstar adventures in Otherworld which is to find the mutant kid and bring him back home. The problem is that the mutant kid decided to stay in Otherworld because he feels happy there.

The highlights are Karma gets to use her possession power, Dani gets to use her nightmare projection power and also psychic arrows.

Love the close girl-girl friendship between Dani and Karma.

The cliffhanger is that there is a possibility that Karma wants his brother back and wants Dani to be her partner in the crucible. So we might see his brother back as a separate body in Krakoa.

Last edited by ericng; 04-28-2021 at 09:28 AM.

Extraordinary Member

Skipping a month really did this issue no favors. The solicitation being a lie also did it no favors. Seriously Marvel, don't name characters in solicitations that don't even appear in the issue.

I feel the Otherworld plot which dominated the issue ended up being largely unnecessary. Unless Roma and Josh come back in a big way the only purpose it seems to have served was to get Dani out of the way for Farouk to approach Rahne. They did not need to have that adventure to have the conversation about Tran. At least that subplot is over and done with now.

I'd probably be less upset if not for the false advertising.

Loved this, my issue of the week. Vita played with everything so well. The figures could have been better but the atmosphere worked. In one story Vita addressed mutants who are proud to be mutants but don't want to necessarily look how they do. Vita showed they can hold their own in the mystical realm and wrote what i thought was a pretty good story and also addressed not all mutants want to be on krakoa and if they die they die. Vita also addressed what they are doing with the bodies in Xfactor and how that is any different than what it seems Cosmere and Anole are trying to do which is put their conscious in a pretty body. So many topics were addressed in this issue and done well. Vitaa did not miss a beat and went through each genre effortlessly to me and every character felt unique.

When the art was on, like the Anole anger page, it was on especially with the colors. Aside from that another topic touched on is telepaths in a way willfully ignoring the pain of those in paradise. There is so much in this issue. And that last page with Karma thinking of her brother, i speculate she wants to go into the crucible so she can come back male.
    11/10 from me.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

Liked the issue.

Just irked Wolfsbane is so trusting to Furouk, even if its suggested in this issue he really is intended as a different person from SK. There should be some natural distrust either way.

Otherwise the Karma and Dani adventure was fun, if a bit moot. I get that the main point was to highlight how not all mutants are going to be drinking the Krakoa kool-aide or care about living an immortal life. I'm just surprised it was a young mutant saying this and none of the old guard first (outside of Nightcrawler but even he is sticking on Krakoa). Maybe because so many of them have been resurrected before one way or another even before Krakoa? IDK.
    Last edited by ChronoRogue; 04-28-2021 at 08:16 AM.

Mighty Member

My only real problem with this issue is that Josh being a new mutant feels like an editorial way of addressing a real issue with krakoa, but not removing a character that actually matters.

Astonishing Member

Gabby is depressed and sad.

Extraordinary Member

Guess I'm really the only one who cares if a solicitation says certain characters are going to do something and those characters not only don't do that but don't even appear in a single panel. When the advertisement says: "Meanwhile, on Krakoa: Warlock makes a friend. Wolfsbane makes a friend. Magik makes some enemies" then I expect to see Warlock and Magik somewhere in there.
    Last edited by sunofdarkchild; 04-28-2021 at 08:24 AM.

Mighty Member

Yes yes sun, you love magik, we know.

Quote Originally Posted by sunofdarkchild View Post
    Guess I'm really the only one who cares if a solicitation says certain characters are going to do something and those characters not only don't do that but don't even appear in a single panel.
    storm was plastered all over women of marvel and not a single panel in the issue. it happens.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

Quote Originally Posted by sunofdarkchild View Post
    Skipping a month really did this issue no favors. The solicitation being a lie also did it no favors. Seriously Marvel, don't name characters in solicitations that don't even appear in the issue.

I feel the Otherworld plot which dominated the issue ended up being largely unnecessary. Unless Roma and Josh come back in a big way the only purpose it seems to have served was to get Dani out of the way for Farouk to approach Rahne. They did not need to have that adventure to have the conversation about Tran. At least that subplot is over and done with now.

I'd probably be less upset if not for the false advertising.
    They did have to have to adventure, because the whole purpose was having Karma manifest a being whose iconography is tied to her brother and her guilt. Also, really? Solicits lying?

Amazing Member

Which Josh appears in this issue? Guthrie, Foley?

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by ZephyrSurf View Post
    Yes yes sun, you love magik, we know.
    That's beside the point. The solicitation said something about the story which was completely false. If a book is marketed as having Wolverine and he never shows, is that ok? Is it ok to market Jean or Magneto as appearing and not even mention them in the actual issue? I know Warlock was mentioned, but given how this was advertised there is no excuse for him not appearing. It is false advertising and an outright lie about their product. It's exactly the sort of thing I said Marvel wouldn't do by putting multiple people from the fan vote on the new X-Men team. But if you are fine with the company literally lying about the books you purchase, then I guess they can lie all they want.

Quote Originally Posted by KimberlyP View Post
    Which Josh appears in this issue? Guthrie, Foley?
    A new character introduced last issue.

Mighty Member

Also Karma needs to keep it together. I know Roma is hot, girl. But you shouldn't be trying to go down on royalty in the middle of a rescue.

I mean Karma is desperately single at this point. Kitty out there smooching girls and Karma wishes it was her hasn't seen much action since Fraction. T_T