Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member Derek Metaltron's Avatar

Default Marvel Fighting Game from Nether Realm Studios?!

https://www.cbr.com/marvel-fighting-...kombat-studio/

If this is actually really true I might cry for joy. A western fighting game studio actually doing a Marvel fighting game with one of the best track records in modern times with hopefully a solid storyline (I'm hoping they're not going to to do Iron Man vs Captain America as a replacement to Batman vs Superman) and a well thought out roster? Oh please don't torture me, Nether Realm.

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Metaltron View Post
    https://www.cbr.com/marvel-fighting-...kombat-studio/

If this is actually really true I might cry for joy. A western fighting game studio actually doing a Marvel fighting game with one of the best track records in modern times with hopefully a solid storyline (I'm hoping they're not going to to do Iron Man vs Captain America as a replacement to Batman vs Superman) and a well thought out roster? Oh please don't torture me, Nether Realm.
    I too hope this is true. It would be enough for me to pick up a next gen console.
    "Kids don't care **** about superhero comic books. And if they do, they probably start with manga, with One Punch-Man or My Hero Academia. " -ImOctavius.

Ultimate Member

How believable is this?

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

The people within my circle ain't happy about this as NRS games ain't their cup of tea. The animations will be trash but the game will be fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    How believable is this?
    It's from someone who supposedly has a good track record and CBR clearly felt it was plausible. I figure I can be cautiously optimistic. And it would definitely have me pick up a PS5. Only question would be if Nether Realm would focus on a specific team of heroes (Avengers or X-Men probably) or go with a mixture of characters from all over using something akin to Secret Wars as a template for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    The people within my circle ain't happy about this as NRS games ain't their cup of tea. The animations will be trash but the game will be fun.
    Not sure how they would think that, Injustice 2 was a pretty game in my opinion (but then I don't play tons of fighting games). They'd clearly keep the system of cinematic over comic style as Capcom would used to do, but if it suits the story I don't see the issue.

iMan 42s

NRS is owned by WB. This is bullshit. As appealing as it'd be, this would be Marvel licensing its characters out to a subsidiary of a rival company and that just doesn't make any sense.

As well is that who'd asked for this? People want to rampage as the Hulk or fly around a city as Iron man. People want to ride Ghost Rider's bike or do stealth missions as Black Widow. I really don't see the appeal of doing something like this with Marvel characters when it barely even works for Injustice.
    -----------------------------------
    For anyone that needs to know why OMD is awful please search the internet for Linkara' s video's specifically his One more day review or his One more day Analysis.

I'd rather them just try Marvel vs. Capcom again now that they don't have the character restrictions anymore.
    Last Read: Zatanna and the Ripper vol. 1

Monthly Pull List: Alan Scott: The Green Lantern, Batman, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Beware the Planet of the Apes, Birds of Prey, Daredevil, Green Arrow, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Ducks, Justice Society of America, Negaduck, Nightwing, Phantom Road, Shazam!, Suicide Squad: Dream Team, Superman '78: The Metal Curtain, Thundercats, Titans

Not sure how they would think that, Injustice 2 was a pretty game in my opinion (but then I don't play tons of fighting games). They'd clearly keep the system of cinematic over comic style as Capcom would used to do, but if it suits the story I don't see the issue.
    My circle is a competitive bunch. NRS plays completely different from other traditional 2D fighting games. Inputs, fundamentals, combos, throws, blocking, etc don't function in the same way like other fighters in the same category. For someone who's use to Street Fighter, KoF, and Guilty Gear the way it plays will be extremely jarring. Made worst that the things they learned from those games can't be carried over to MK or Injustice. For most of them the games just won't click.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperiorIronman View Post
    NRS is owned by WB. This is bullshit. As appealing as it'd be, this would be Marvel licensing its characters out to a subsidiary of a rival company and that just doesn't make any sense.

As well is that who'd asked for this? People want to rampage as the Hulk or fly around a city as Iron man. People want to ride Ghost Rider's bike or do stealth missions as Black Widow. I really don't see the appeal of doing something like this with Marvel characters when it barely even works for Injustice.
    WB has published three Lego Marvel games and Lego Incredibles. Disney let them touch their IP before. Disney doesn't compete with them in the video game space so there should be no issue.

As someone who's favorite genre is fighters, I want this. Open world formula everyone seems to want is done to death. Something more dense and focus is in need.
    Last edited by Immortal Weapon; 04-28-2021 at 10:08 AM.

Ultimate Member

It's from someone who supposedly has a good track record and CBR clearly felt it was plausible. I figure I can be cautiously optimistic. And it would definitely have me pick up a PS5. Only question would be if Nether Realm would focus on a specific team of heroes (Avengers or X-Men probably) or go with a mixture of characters from all over using something akin to Secret Wars as a template for it.
    Ok. I'm not always sure who's trustworthy. I assume it would be everyone, although just one of those teams would be more than enough characters.

I can see what you mean. I haven't played a lot of fighter games, but my ideal game would be something like you describe, with semi-open world stuff where I can use all the characters' powers. But this could still be good if it were true

I don’t really understand your argument. Other types of Marvel games existing doesn’t prevent us from getting some kind of well done fighting game for them. I personally would like to see more games akin to Snash Bros with more open ended 3D arenas, but I can imagine the Injustice and Mortal Kombat systems working for Marvel too.

Quote Originally Posted by Noodle View Post
    I'd rather them just try Marvel vs. Capcom again now that they don't have the character restrictions anymore.
    Whilst I respect that MVC still has its fans I don’t think it’s ever going to be as popular or relevant as it was back in 2001 with MVC2. I also wish that we could have a better mixture of games for both casual fans like me who just wanna see two characters fight and not turn everything into the latest EVO obsession for SonicFox to win like the Furry obsessed guy always does.

iMan 42s

I don’t really understand your argument. Other types of Marvel games existing doesn’t prevent us from getting some kind of well done fighting game for them. I personally would like to see more games akin to Snash Bros with more open ended 3D arenas, but I can imagine the Injustice and Mortal Kombat systems working for Marvel too.
    Nobody is asking for a game where Spider-man Mortal kombat style uses his webbing to rip a guy's head off. And frankly for those that do, Disney is not going to allow the usage of its brands in that way. And if they do it like Injustice it makes the characters unrecognizable beyond gimmick and or proceeds to do nothing with the whole point you even get NRS.

Like sure they could release a fighting game, but why not work with Capcom again? For that matter I can't even get a source for this beyond Stealthoptional.com (a site I've never heard of) and somebody by the name of Daniel Richtman who doesn't even have a statement and apparently leaked this to them. Ed Boon wants to use Marvel characters, that's as far as anyone knows but as to a game in development? That just seems suspect and a trail of thought you'd obviously go to given we know he wants to use them. Like of course you'd jump to that conclusion but it doesn't mean anything is actually in development.
    -----------------------------------
    For anyone that needs to know why OMD is awful please search the internet for Linkara' s video's specifically his One more day review or his One more day Analysis.

Nobody is asking for a game where Spider-man Mortal kombat style uses his webbing to rip a guy's head off. And frankly for those that do, Disney is not going to allow the usage of its brands in that way. And if they do it like Injustice it makes the characters unrecognizable beyond gimmick and or proceeds to do nothing with the whole point you even get NRS.

Like sure they could release a fighting game, but why not work with Capcom again? For that matter I can't even get a source for this beyond Stealthoptional.com (a site I've never heard of) and somebody by the name of Daniel Richtman who doesn't even have a statement and apparently leaked this to them. Ed Boon wants to use Marvel characters, that's as far as anyone knows but as to a game in development? That just seems suspect and a trail of thought you'd obviously go to given we know he wants to use them. Like of course you'd jump to that conclusion but it doesn't mean anything is actually in development.
    This will likely have Injustice level of violence which will be MK without the blood and gore. Honestly, the MCU operates in that way so they should be able to get away with it in a game. Being NRS, I'm sure they will add more edgier characters to the roster to fit their style.