Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member gonnagiveittoya's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jwatson View Post
    Pretty much and if marvel is happy, honestly, why rush. He is building a legacy and no writer has had this chance since early claremont on the x-men if we are honest.
    I guess, but I got onboard with the perception of "the X-Men are going to be shaken up for a bit but by the end the sorry will have been worth it". again like Superior Spider-Man, I wouldn't have been on board if the idea was they were permanently getting rid of Peter Parker, but I was down to see what they could do with Ock as a anti-hero/reformed ish villain walking a mile in Spider-Mans shoes. And they did some pretty interesting stuff with the idea, but that stoey didn't end with "yeah, Ocks the new permanent Spider-Man! Peter was wrong the whole time!"

I'm significantly less interested in the Krakoa era if it's meant to be the permanent new status quo, less of "a high concept story with the X-Men" (more like Hickmans previous stuff) so much as "this is what the X-Men and mutants are from now on and forever" which is much less interesting to me.
    Last edited by gonnagiveittoya; 04-29-2021 at 08:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by gonnagiveittoya View Post
    I guess, but I got onboard with the perception of "the X-Men are going to be shaken up for a bit but by the end the sorry will have been worth it". again like Superior Spider-Man, I wouldn't have been on board if the idea was they were permanently getting rid of Peter Parker, but I was down to see what they could do with Ock as a anti-hero/reformed ish villain walking a mile in Spider-Mans shoes. And they did some pretty interesting stuff with the idea, but that stoey didn't end with "yeah, Ocks the new permanent Spider-Man! Peter was wrong the whole time!"

I'm significantly less interested in the Krakoa era if it's meant to be the permanent new status quo, less of "a high concept story with the X-Men" (more like Hickmans previous stuff) so much as "this is what the X-Men and mutants are from now on and forever" which is much less interesting to me.
    How’s you go from 4-5 years to forever? We still don’t even know if it’s actually going to be that long, but if it is that’s still a fraction of the team’s total history.

Second, this isn’t directly to you, but I don’t get the entitlement to say that Hickman should be producing more comics a year when he’s producing at a the regular rate of a comic per month (besides a delay here and there). I’m not dismissing any complaints or critiques about the comics that he does produce cause I myself don’t always find the main title up to snuff, but that doesn’t make me entitled to demand more labor out of him simply because I want his story faster.

Edit: If anything Hickman’s biggest mistake was treating us with weekly issues at the start of his run that each contained earth-shattering revelations and then going back to the standard monthly format.
    Last edited by Kingdom X; 04-29-2021 at 09:29 PM.

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jwatson View Post
    Pretty much and if marvel is happy, honestly, why rush. He is building a legacy and no writer has had this chance since early claremont on the x-men if we are honest.
    My fear though is exactly what happened to Claremont - what if Hickman loses his control over the title and all of the years of build is for naught?

I mean there are so many legendary runs that become pear shaped because they main creator was booted off for whatever reason. I mean just think about Hickman's Secret Warriors run that was cancelled and he had to make a mad dash to close all of the open storylines.

That's why I love runs that have a definite end in mind within 2-3 years.

Extraordinary Member

Same here. Other than unlimited extra lives which has been an annoyance, there is nothing new here that could not have been done before.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom X View Post
    Edit: If anything Hickman’s biggest mistake was treating us with weekly issues at the start of his run that each contained earth-shattering revelations and then going back to the standard monthly format.
    I am sure that has a lot to do with it. Not just the weekly pace, but that is a huge setup, and very little was actually about setting up Krakoa, we actually have very little information about the few months that apparently were between the end of the previous era and this one. All the information we got was about all these lives of Moira. Then silence. I think that is why maybe some people want two books, if we were getting more scenes of Orchis, and Nimrods, and Chimeras and all this stuff we spent 12 issues getting hooked on, it would not feel like going through withdrawals.

So, that said, I am hopeful the next two issues will touch on some of those cooler ideas from the setup.

Mighty Member

Can we have Mystique form her new brotherhood of evil mutants again with some new members of course.

Quote Originally Posted by charliehustle415 View Post
    My fear though is exactly what happened to Claremont - what if Hickman loses his control over the title and all of the years of build is for naught?

I mean there are so many legendary runs that become pear shaped because they main creator was booted off for whatever reason. I mean just think about Hickman's Secret Warriors run that was cancelled and he had to make a mad dash to close all of the open storylines.
    I hate when that happens too. But I think with the sales and success of the Hickman X books right now we don't really have to fear that. It is still possible but I don't think it is probable. Time will tell I guess.
    "Kids don't care **** about superhero comic books. And if they do, they probably start with manga, with One Punch-Man or My Hero Academia. " -ImOctavius.

I don't think it's the readers problem if we are impatient with the lack of payoff of HoxPox plots or even that only second-wave titles such as Hellions, Sword and Way of X are explaining Krakoa, the ressurection, the Council and the crucible.

After Hickman exploded our minds with Nimrod, Moira, chimeras, different timelines and Krakoa... we spent issues not dealing with the future, but with the past of Apocalypse, Arakko, Otherworld and even a crossover. That is clearly a mistep by him or JDW.

After HoxPox we never see Moira again, but we got three or four invasions on Krakoa, the tenth Xavier death, geriatric botanic ladies... Maybe this era is not as well planned as people think.

Quote Originally Posted by ermac View Post
    I don't think it's the readers problem if we are impatient with the lack of payoff of HoxPox plots or even that only second-wave titles such as Hellions, Sword and Way of X are explaining Krakoa, the ressurection, the Council and the crucible.

After Hickman exploded our minds with Nimrod, Moira, chimeras, different timelines and Krakoa... we spent issues not dealing with the future, but with the past of Apocalypse, Arakko, Otherworld and even a crossover. That is clearly a mistep by him or JDW.
    Patience is a virtue with Hickman. It's a slow burn. This is just how Hickman works. I don't think it is a misstep at all. Also, consider that they've had to deal with event tie-ins like Empyre and King In Black while juggling Covid delays at the same time.

After HoxPox we never see Moira again,
    So far.

but we got three or four invasions on Krakoa, the tenth Xavier death, geriatric botanic ladies... Maybe this era is not as well planned as people think.
    Maybe, but I would argue that you're making mountains out of molehills a little bit.
    "Kids don't care **** about superhero comic books. And if they do, they probably start with manga, with One Punch-Man or My Hero Academia. " -ImOctavius.

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Odd Rödney View Post
    I hate when that happens too. But I think with the sales and success of the Hickman X books right now we don't really have to fear that. It is still possible but I don't think it is probable. Time will tell I guess.
    ..and the X-Office is 100% behind HiX-Man.
    I get the sense they had to really woo him with Diamonds, roses, champagne, a vintage Rolls Royce, just to start...and he showed up with his own set of prerequisites.
    It would have to be something really cataclysmic to get them to "fire" him and/or for him to not finish his vision.
    My Summer rain. My rooftop in Japan. My quiet in the storm. *cries* Al Ewing is GOD...Praise His name! Uplift Him in song! Glorify His works!

Quote Originally Posted by Devaishwarya View Post
    ..and the X-Office is 100% behind HiX-Man.
    I get the sense they had to really woo him with Diamonds, roses, champagne, a vintage Rolls Royce, just to start...and he showed up with his own set of prerequisites.
    It would have to be something really cataclysmic to get them to "fire" him and/or for him to not finish his vision.
    Exactly. I don't think this is getting cancelled anytime soon. If all the books were the quality of, say, Fallen Angels, I could see that happening but, thankfully, that isn't the case.

Astonishing Member gonnagiveittoya's Avatar

I'm just saying this is a glacial pace even by Hickman standards. 20 issues and we've gotten no advancement on the main story and he's just about to hop off the book

Quote Originally Posted by cranger View Post
    I am sure that has a lot to do with it. Not just the weekly pace, but that is a huge setup, and very little was actually about setting up Krakoa, we actually have very little information about the few months that apparently were between the end of the previous era and this one. All the information we got was about all these lives of Moira. Then silence. I think that is why maybe some people want two books, if we were getting more scenes of Orchis, and Nimrods, and Chimeras and all this stuff we spent 12 issues getting hooked on, it would not feel like going through withdrawals.

So, that said, I am hopeful the next two issues will touch on some of those cooler ideas from the setup.
    And I totally get the desire for two books! I'd be happy as hell if Hickman was writing two series or putting out a biweekly book, but I also understand that I'm not owed more books because I'm personally not satisfied with the pace. Plus, there were periods of time when he was publishing more than one book a month with New Mutants and Giant-Size, and the pace did not improve.

I do agree with a previous comment that we should be getting some updates on Moira. Even a tease at the end of XoS as we went into RoX about what she's doing would have bene nice.
    Last edited by Kingdom X; 04-30-2021 at 08:22 AM.

BANNED

I'm just saying this is a glacial pace even by Hickman standards. 20 issues and we've gotten no advancement on the main story and he's just about to hop off the book
    The very thing you have to realize in this is what he started with HoX/PoX isn't forwarded anywhere. His own run lack characterization with ideas that were executed for other writers. Yet his run was slow. This isn't what Hickman's standards suppose to be.
    Last edited by Vishop; 04-30-2021 at 08:36 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Vishop View Post
    The very thing you have to realize in this is what he started with HoX/PoX isn't forwarded anywhere. His own run lack characterization with ideas that were executed for other writers. Yet his run was slow. This isn't what Hickman's standards suppose to be.
    Hickman said his X-Men run was going to be different than the stuff he did with FF and Avengers.

I personally like the digressive approach he's taking with the X-Men run.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    Hickman said his X-Men run was going to be different than the stuff he did with FF and Avengers.

I personally like the digressive approach he's taking with the X-Men run.
    Welp, It wasn't different than the usual anthology comic runs. But it is certainly retrogressive than his usual way of writing books. It was indolent despite his caliber. On retrospecting HoX/PoX, it can easily be said that it was far better bc it actually interacted the characters with the worldbuilding that he has created within HoX/PoX.