Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Default Detective Comics #1035

Mariko Tamaki continues to weave a truly atmospheric mystery with her second issue in what I'm hoping is a very long run. In the second installment we get more great character interactions between Bruce and his neighbor Ms.Donovan, a larger peak at the pressure newly elected Mayor Nankano is under, Batman's unraveling relationship with the police escalates further, and we're teased with a deeper conspiracy behind what otherwise would have come off as a straight forward homicide. The questions Bruce asks about the police reaction time in finding Sarah nearly as quickly as he did and why the Mayor decided to fill that section of sewer with concrete before either the police or Batman could fully investigate the area give you a great sense of growing paranoia with each page and with the added mystery of regular people suddenly acting hyper-violently it begins to turn into a deep conspiracy and the list of who could be behind it all is incredibly tantalizing. I absolutely love that Tamaki has taken Bruce's world and made it smaller again, Gotham City isn't about to be destroyed by some big event here, it's just a single case but it feels all the more dangerous because the scale makes it feel much more real.

BANNED

You dont need to write a paragraph about an investigation of a murder mystery. "mystery", "conspiracy", "mystery", "conspiracy". I bursted out laughing when they said "Batman is the suspect". I like the Huntress backup story more than the main detective one.
    Last edited by prepmaster; 04-28-2021 at 12:34 PM.

The back up is good, I especially liked how it was woven into the main story with appearances by Huntress in the back ground.

And saying Batman was a suspect fits into the larger anti-mask plotline so I'm not sure why you felt it was out of place.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    And saying Batman was a suspect fits into the larger anti-mask plotline so I'm not sure why you felt it was out of place.
    Because Batman would be the last person whom you suspect to be accounted for a murder. He doesnt even kill his villains.

The GCPD is inffecient against supervillains and their minions (Joker, Bane, Riddler, etc...) and crimes are still rampant but when it comes to Batman, the police pursue him like theres no tomorrow. They become competent against Batman specifically for some reason. They cant prevent crimes committed by other villains and their minions and let all those criminals slip under their radar but like to chase after Batman.

Then you have all these Gothamites showing their support for mass murderers like Punchline, Bane. The anti mask narrative is such a contradictory mess. Its anti vigilante but somehow still tolerate those show their support for villains. Criminals with masks, not our priorities. Vigilantes with masks, thats whom we should shoot.
    Last edited by prepmaster; 04-29-2021 at 05:04 AM.

I primarily picked the issue up for the Huntress backstory....hopefully it becomes an ongoing feature in Detective Comics.

spoilers:
    I'm looking forward to the payback!
    end of spoilers

Quote Originally Posted by prepmaster View Post
    Because Batman would be the last person whom you suspect to be accounted for a murder. He doesnt even kill his villains.

The GCPD is inffecient against supervillains and their minions (Joker, Bane, Riddler, etc...) and crimes are still rampant but when it comes to Batman, the police pursue him like theres no tomorrow. They become competent against Batman specifically for some reason. They cant prevent crimes committed by other villains and their minions and let all those criminals slip under their radar but like to chase after Batman.

Then you have all these Gothamites showing their support for mass murderers like Punchline, Bane. The anti mask narrative is such a contradictory mess. Its anti vigilante but somehow still tolerate those show their support for villains. Criminals with masks, not our priorities. Vigilantes with masks, thats whom we should shoot.
    ...You do realize it's fiction right? If they were super competent when it comes to super criminals there wouldn't be a need for Batman, but in this narrative they have to be a threat to Batman and so they are competent. It's not something new, nor does it present a real contradiction.

BANNED

If they were super competent when it comes to super criminals there wouldn't be a need for Batman, but in this narrative they have to be a threat to Batman and so they are competent. It's not something new, nor does it present a real contradiction.
    Until another attack orchestrated by another supervillain where the GCPD dont go out to shoot the minions of the villain but shoot Batman on sight.

How they shoot Batman on sight but never allow mass murderers to be executed is beyond me.

Let's shoot the guy who never kills but not shoot / execute those that are guilty of murder.
    Last edited by prepmaster; 04-30-2021 at 05:18 AM.

Until another attack orchestrated by another supervillain where the GCPD dont go out to shoot the minions of the villain but shoot Batman on sight.

How they shoot Batman on sight but never allow mass murderers to be executed is beyond me.

Let's shoot the guy who never kills but not shoot / execute those that are guilty of murder.
    You really don't seem to get it.

BANNED

You really don't seem to get it.
    Whats there to not understand? Public sewers as hideout? I hope that the Batmobile is parked in a secluded place and not in a house in a middle of a city. Even when the garage for the Batmobile is in a secluded place, shouldnt Batman live near where he parks his Batmobile and not in a middle of a city? These writers dont know how to make a defunded Batman work. Batman would never choose to live among people like that. You are the one with lack of understanding how Batman works and praise writers for having Batman interact with neighbours.

That Batman is just one man with mask while other villains have alot minions with masks? The police seem eager to shoot Batman more than the minions of these villains that go out at nights to commit crimes and make Gotham a crime ridden city.
    Last edited by prepmaster; 04-30-2021 at 11:51 PM.

I really enjoyed this creative teams Dark Detective, so want to continue with DC but I don't really want to buy each individual issue a) because even digital issues seem really expensive b) I'm not invested enough in other characters to want to read the back-up story.

Do the main Batman stories in DC get collected in trades? If so, usually how long is it after original publication?

Whats there to not understand? Public sewers as hideout? I hope that the Batmobile is parked in a secluded place and not in a house in a middle of a city. Even when the garage for the Batmobile is in a secluded place, shouldnt Batman live near where he parks his Batmobile and not in a middle of a city? These writers dont know how to make a defunded Batman work. Batman would never choose to live among people like that. You are the one with lack of understanding how Batman works and praise writers for having Batman interact with neighbours.

That Batman is just one man with mask while other villains have alot minions with masks? The police seem eager to shoot Batman more than the minions of these villains that go out at nights to commit crimes and make Gotham a crime ridden city.
    Why shouldn't Bruce have regular interactions with other people? And why is that a bad thing?

BANNED

Why shouldn't Bruce have regular interactions with other people? And why is that a bad thing?
    Im not against it. Im just saying prasing others because they have Bruce interact with others when the writing for Bruce to choose to reside in such place is just not what Batman would do.

Im not against it. Im just saying prasing others because they have Bruce interact with others when the writing for Bruce to choose to reside in such place is just not what Batman would do.
    Why wouldn't Batman choose to live in the city?

BANNED

Why wouldn't Batman choose to live in the city?
    read my previous comments

read my previous comments
    They don't seem to make a whole lot of sense, especially if you've actually read the books.

The Batmobile is in a secret bunker that Bruce has access to from a tunnel in his brownstone. And the reasoning makes sense as well, actually being in Gotham means he's on the scene quicker and easier than before...and it's not a new development either as historically Batman has operated from within the city for just about as long as he has operated from the outskirts. From 1939-1948 Stately Wayne Manor was located in "the beating heart of the metropolis" and then again from 1969 to 1982 he operated out of the basement of the Wayne Foundation Building. More recently he once again operated out of the Batbunker from 1998-2000 when Wayne Manor was destroyed by a massive earth quake, Batman then returns to the bunker(though technically with Dick Grayson under the cowl) in 2009 and stays there until 2011 and then after Hush blew up the weapons cache in Batman Eternal Bruce spends most of 2014 and 2015 in the bunker again.