Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mighty Member

Default Black Panther Oscars 2019 hype?

Now I'm an MCU fan and I really loved BP and Chadwick Boseman as T'Challa. Loved the ties to the overall MCU. But did it deserve all of the Oscar hype and nominations? Don't get me wrong. I was happy to see it nominated. But did it deserve Best Picture? How about the technical awards?

I would love the MCU to get some Oscar love going forward in the future. I'm kind of surprised the movies before BP didn't even get anything. Considering the acclaim that Winter Soldier got, it's kind of surprising that it didn't get an Adapted screenplay nomination.

The blunt answer is no. It was a good movie but it wasn't the best of the year. It was nominated for its social significance due to public pressure. But then again, it's not like other movies don't get nominated and even win for the same kinds of reasons.
    Power with Girl is better.

As far as costuming, yes.

But not for Best Picture.

Mighty Member

Also the fact that Chadwick wasn't nominated in the acting category was a little surprising. I thought he might have gotten a push.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by CTTT View Post
    Also the fact that Chadwick wasn't nominated in the acting category was a little surprising. I thought he might have gotten a push.
    It was breakout role. No way would he get nominated for a mainstream movie like that. Imho, Michael B Jordan had a greater chance of being nominated if they were going to nominate anyone. (And they weren't, the acting categories were super competitive that year I thought)

I saw all of the Oscar Nominees except Roma and I liked Black Panther better than almost all of them. I'm definitely not an Academy Voter, but as a general movie watcher, Black Panther was in my Top 7-8 films of the year. (So was WW that year actually)

I was certainly impressed with the movie from a technical standpoint. I don't know nearly enough about things like Sound Editing and Set Design to judge though. I generally have to trust the academy there.

Was it one of the best films of the year? Yes. Was it the best film of the year? Probably Not there is nothing real here to discuss.

Should have Logan and Dark Knight get nominated for best film? Yes. That is inventible whining that is going to happen in this thread. In some people minds because those two movies didn't get nominated that Black Panther shouldn't have been nominated which is stupid argument because they should have been nominated. It is not Black Panther fault that voting pool got more intelligent about voting. They are a lot movies before Black Panther that didn't get a fair shot because genre bias which has been called out. Thankful we are in era where these movies will get a fair shot regardless of genre. Stuff like Shape of Water(fantasy) and Get Out(Horror) get their fair shot at win hopeful Comedy, Animated ,Martial arts and Superhero movies when they make good stuff get a chance. Stuff like Boeheim Rhapsody and Star is born got nominations in a other years so I am very comfortable with Black Panther nomination which recognizes it as one of the best films of that year. You could have argument if it had won that stuff was better but it didn't but it was ONE of best films of the year not THE best films of the year.
    Last edited by Killerbee911; 04-28-2021 at 09:31 PM.

Now I'm an MCU fan and I really loved BP and Chadwick Boseman as T'Challa. Loved the ties to the overall MCU. But did it deserve all of the Oscar hype and nominations? Don't get me wrong. I was happy to see it nominated. But did it deserve Best Picture? How about the technical awards?
    The answer is "yes" it deserved a nomination because it got one. It "deserved" the hype because people bought into it. This is the Oscars - it's subjective and political and typically based on what people think an "Oscar Film" is supposed to be - or people voting for their friends. There's no objective standard - it's a popularity contest and people cast their vote for any number of reasons. History shows that BP checked a lot of boxes the Academy has shown to value. If anything, a film like "Unforgiven" seems an odder choice that actually won considering its message, but a lot of people seem to want to question the authenticity of films like "BP" getting a nom because of "politics" as though politics weren't always part of it before the focus was on issues of representation.

We'd also have to consider that the Academy opened up the category to include 10 nominees instead of 5. There's a good chance that in any other year, it likely wouldn't have made the list.

But the expansion doesn't necessarily mean that it's the top 10 movies of the year, but more about how it allows for greater variety of nominees. This way we have a greater chance of less-represented genres going up there, and a much smaller chance of, say, 10 period piece dramas being nominated.

BANNED

Was Black nominated for an academy award? I forgot. made a thread about the oscars bad ratings and I did not even remember black panther was nominated and this was a popular movie. If this oscars aremeant to call themselves the Academy of acts and they do. Why was the movie nominated and not the other MCU movies? Black Panther is not even X-Men 1, something I proved here to the point someone started falsely calling me troll and asked other people to ignore me when it became clear that Black panther did not have a sophisticated story telling like having a David Duke villain and scenes where the issues of racism and prejudice is addressed deeply that makes you care beyond the comic bookie stuff. Which is what gets you an Oscar, see the fact with Blackkklansman that won for screenplay and the main villain was David Duke.

I would love the MCU to get some Oscar love going forward in the future. I'm kind of surprised the movies before BP didn't even get anything. Considering the acclaim that Winter Soldier got, it's kind of surprising that it didn't get an Adapted screenplay nomination.
    Logan and Joker were nominated for screenplay but those films are extremes. rated R. Winter Solider was in 2014 but DOFP would have beaten it out in screenplay and no, it is not just because hugh jackman is naked and Oscars love nude but the Oscars hate comic book movies by default and will only care when they take themselves extremely seriously, seem more less cooperate made and have extremely mature-adult themes, most times very dark and work more as a drama. DOFP would have wiped out winter solider on those factors alone, so I don't see winter solider getting for screenplay in 2015.

Also 2018 was the year black panther was nominated.....only 28 million people watched. so the oscars ratings had already stared burning. nominating black panther did nothing for them. Poor Oscars, they have dugged their own graves .Anyway I will end it with this comic movie road to pedition. it was criminal that this comic movie did not get nominated for best picture though the great Paul Newman was nominated for supporting acgtor. You would think that Tom Hanks would have gotten a nomination for Best Actor because this is one of the few films Hanks plays a villain but not even that was enough to erase the stigma of a comic book film can not get best picture nomination 20 years ago

To those that keep saying...there are no objective standard. this is not the truth, even for the truth that these Oscars claims to be an Academy, An academy is about objective standards, reasons the Oscars has always been controversial because many times they fail their own Academic standards.

Anyway, everyone should enjoy this film as a comic book fan

Now this is the Academy of Arts. LMAO. How this movie was not nominated for best picture is a disgrace.
    Last edited by Castle; 04-29-2021 at 02:16 AM.

I think as far as comic book movies go to get the nomination, I think it was a good choice. Dark Knight was badly snubbed and I would've been jazzed if Logan had been nominated, but Black Panther was one that I think had the substance to make it a cut above the average. Whether it was as good to compete with the other nominees, I couldn't say, but art is notoriously subjective.

Quote Originally Posted by Castle View Post
    Why was the movie nominated and not the other MCU movies?
    Probably because it was the few that the studio campaigned for the nomination and the Academy was won over by it? (Interesting fact, Marvel Studios also campaigned for Endgame to get a Best Picture nomination. Would've loved to see the internet breakage had that happened.)

Quote Originally Posted by Castle View Post
    To those that keep saying...there are no objective standard. this is not the truth, even for the truth that these Oscars claims to be an Academy, An academy is about objective standards, reasons the Oscars has always been controversial because many times they fail their own Academic standards.
    No kidding.

Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    I think as far as comic book movies go to get the nomination, I think it was a good choice. Dark Knight was badly snubbed and I would've been jazzed if Logan had been nominated, but Black Panther was one that I think had the substance to make it a cut above the average. Whether it was as good to compete with the other nominees, I couldn't say, but art is notoriously subjective.
    TDK is a well crafted film with substance. It's a Nolan film. the substance of TDK that tackles the themes of inner city corruption, failed policing, street crime is far greater than anything in black panther because black panther did not focus much on what should have mattered. the film making of TDK is also top notch. There is factual metrics proof of this while black panther suffers from the same cooperate made problems of mcu movies. like how all their cgi is done in the same animated way and how every film needs a big 3rd act action scene or how their movies lack any compelling plotlines.

Black Panther did not have enough substance as a story, and I think in the long run as a person of color myself, it should be unacceptable that a film like X-Men 1 with mostly white fictional characters highlighted the issues of racism and prejudice more than black panther ever did. This is the craft of TDK, Black Panther standing the next to this movie is quite poor in quality since I remember black panther car chase scene and the effects were bad compared to this.

Black Panther, VFX, Cinematography and Sound Mixing is not as good as the film.
    Probably because it was the few that the studio campaigned for the nomination and the Academy was won over by it? (Interesting fact, Marvel Studios also campaigned for Endgame to get a Best Picture nomination. Would've loved to see the internet breakage had that happened.)

No that is not the reason. the reason is because oscars hate comic book films in general and MCU movies represent the worst reasons of why they hate comic films. since MCU films have the most fun, action comedy and light hearted friendly vibe , I mean you are a writer as you said, so you should already know this about the oscars, like another person said here. the Oscars love their deep dramas and MCU movies are not deep dramas, the only marvel films that attempted deep adult dramas were some xmen films and Raimi Spiderman 2
    Last edited by Castle; 04-29-2021 at 03:19 AM.

Ultimate Member

Did it deserve "Best picture". I don't know.

Did it deserve the nominations- absolutely.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    Was it one of the best films of the year? Yes. Was it the best film of the year? Probably Not there is nothing real here to discuss.

Should have Logan and Dark Knight get nominated for best film? Yes. That is inventible whining that is going to happen in this thread. In some people minds because those two movies didn't get nominated that Black Panther shouldn't have been nominated which is stupid argument because they should have been nominated. It is not Black Panther fault that voting pool got more intelligent about voting. They are a lot movies before Black Panther that didn't get a fair shot because genre bias which has been called out. Thankful we are in era where these movies will get a fair shot regardless of genre. Stuff like Shape of Water(fantasy) and Get Out(Horror) get their fair shot at win hopeful Comedy, Animated ,Martial arts and Superhero movies when they make good stuff get a chance. Stuff like Boeheim Rhapsody and Star is born got nominations in a other years so I am very comfortable with Black Panther nomination which recognizes it as one of the best films of that year. You could have argument if it had won that stuff was better but it didn't but it was ONE of best films of the year not THE best films of the year.
    Quoted in agreement.

It was one of the best movies of the year.

The problem is that when it comes to anything minority related, people treat it like a zero-sum game. Just because BP was nominated doesn't mean that The Dark Knight or other superhero movies didn't deserve a nomination. It just means that in the year BP came out, it was good enough to get in. In certain other years (like 1994 for example) it might not have got in.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Powerboy View Post
    The blunt answer is no. It was a good movie but it wasn't the best of the year. It was nominated for its social significance due to public pressure. But then again, it's not like other movies don't get nominated and even win for the same kinds of reasons.
    I have always thought of the significance but after 3 years, I think that has proven not to be the case, because social significance also means that a movie should start having copies, with at least some exact same success or more. Let me give you examples and this is just general film commentary.
    Avatar. After Avatar , many movies jumped on the 3d bandwagon and that was pushing their movies to get over a billion dollars. This was a staple in the film industry in the early 2010s.

Harry Potter been split in 2 parts for the last films. that had significance that some series that followed the narrative made more money by splitting their last books in two. Twilight, The Hobbit and Hunger Games.

X-Men was arguably the first comic film that was made as a serious adult driven comic movie with deep themes that take the main plot of the story. this had significance with Nolan Batman films and other comic films post 2000 that wanted to movie on from comic films are just kids entertainment with no depth.

With black panther, the success has not inspired many studios to try and copy of it. Big studios are still not going to spend 200m on all black cast led movie, because studios don't have faith in POC movies. Sony studios once said in secret that Denzel Washington been black although very talented, he still cannot sell a movie like they want and right now I can make the case that Denzel is the most iconic black actor of his generation.

https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-e...t-9932507.html
    Sony leak: Denzel Washington should not star in lead roles overseas because the world is 'racist'

Black panther's impact feels like a one off now because only Disney and Marvel Studios had the money, media power, marketing hype and fanbase to pull the success off.
    Last edited by Castle; 04-29-2021 at 02:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    Quoted in agreement.

It was one of the best movies of the year.

The problem is that when it comes to anything minority related, people treat it like a zero-sum game. Just because BP was nominated doesn't mean that The Dark Knight or other superhero movies didn't deserve a nomination. It just means that in the year BP came out, it was good enough to get in. In certain other years (like 1994 for example) it might not have got in.
    It might not even mean that, They(awards) have been notoriously bias against genre films(heck they were notoriously bias against black people and women as well). 1994 it would have been good enough to get in but awards show voters would have a bias that comic book movies aren't high art. There has been vast work to break down barriers in Hollywood and has been slowly get being better. There was literally campaign Oscars so white and like magic the next year they found more minority candidates.

Anyways Black Panther got nominated because of The Dark Knight in 2008 there only 5 candidates. 2009 they were 9 candidates for Best picture. The year after TDK got snub they voted to extended amount of candidates for Best picture so that situation wouldn't happen again.