Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Peter O'Toole

BANNED

I have to see the Lion in Winter when I have the time since I am a Katherine Hepburn fan and try as much to see her films when its on TV

Wow. I am currently reading the book 'Hellraisers' which is about a group of hard living hard drinking British actors and Peter O'Toole is one of them and I am watching 'My Favorite Year' with him in it. I like his role in 'Goodbye Mr. Chips'. He plays the English school teacher so well when you think back on the movie you go "That was Peter O'Toole?".
    The Gypsies had no home. The Doors had no bass.

Does our reality determine our fiction or does our fiction determine our reality?

Whenever the question comes up about who some mysterious person is or who is behind something the answer will always be Frank Stallone.

"This isn't a locking the barn doors after the horses ran way situation this is a burn the barn down after the horses ran away situation."

I always thought that "My Favorite Year" (with Cousin Larry) was the spiritual basis for "Get Him to the Greek." (one of my fav comedies of all time)

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Castle View Post
    I know the name, although I am not that familiar with his work like James Stewart or Cary Grant or Humphrey Bogat.

However I know the respect O'Toole has in Golden Age Hollywood....
    Technically, O'Toole was part of the generation that followed Golden Age Hollywood, being born in 1932, when Hollywood's Golden Icons were just hitting their stride.

Quote Originally Posted by Panic View Post
    A fun film of his is "How to Steal A Million". It's got Audrey Hepburn too.
    How To Steal A Million was going to be my suggestion too. It's an interestingly different role for him, and a fun art-heist/romantic romp. Favorite line: "It worked!" (spoken in a tone of delighted incredulity)

It will always make me sad that WB didn't tap O'Toole to fill the role of Dumbledore following Richard Harris' death. But, Harris and O'Toole were of an age, and I imagine that the studio was firmly against casting another actor that they might have to suddenly replace.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    Technically, O'Toole was part of the generation that followed Golden Age Hollywood, being born in 1932, when Hollywood's Golden Icons were just hitting their stride.

How To Steal A Million was going to be my suggestion too. It's an interestingly different role for him, and a fun art-heist/romantic romp. Favorite line: "It worked!" (spoken in a tone of delighted incredulity)

It will always make me sad that WB didn't tap O'Toole to fill the role of Dumbledore following Richard Harris' death. But, Harris and O'Toole were of an age, and I imagine that the studio was firmly against casting another actor that they might have to suddenly replace.
    I was actually going to not call him full golden age, but I considered him more of the new-last of that era , not to mention he was one of the few actors still around that can say worked with many golden age actors, along with Clint Eastwood . it's funny because he felt older than Sophie Lauren to me or felt he had been in the business longer and sophie is considered a golden age actress.

Boisterously Confused

I was actually going to not call him full golden age, but I considered him more of the new-last of that era , not to mention he was one of the few actors still around that can say worked with many golden age actors, along with Clint Eastwood . it's funny because he felt older than Sophie Lauren to me or felt he had been in the business longer and sophie is considered a golden age actress.
    That long face of his always did look older than it was.

I have to see the Lion in Winter when I have the time since I am a Katherine Hepburn fan and try as much to see her films when its on TV
    You must, it's an INCREDIBLE play, filmed brilliantly. Katherine Hepburn won her third (of four) Best Actress Oscar's for it; and it's visually stunning, Oscar winning score. And they are VICIOUS! My god, the barbed insults Kate throws in that film could fell an Oliphaunt! She's the original Queen of Thorns!

"We are Shakespeare. We are Michelangelo. We are Tchaikovsky. We are Turing. We are Mercury. We are Wilde. We are Lincoln, Lorca, Leonardo da Vinci. We are Alexander the Great. We are Fredrick the Great. We are Rustin. We are Addams. We are Marsha! Marsha Marsha Marsha! We so generous, we DeGeneres. We are Ziggy Stardust hooked to the silver screen. Controversially we are Malcolm X. We are Plato. We are Aristotle. We are RuPaul, god dammit! And yes, we are Woolf."