Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast
    Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by godisawesome View Post
    Liz on Blacklist is arguably the exact kind of “fallen protagonist” scenario that occurred naturally compared to the artificial one that Lucasfilm artificially instated on Rey and Finn in the Star Wars Sequel Trilogy.

While Finn got demoted and Rey screwed by LFL just expecting Kylo to be more popular and important, then making that happen with shoddy writing and prejudice, Liz arguably just gets swallowed up by the sheer charisma oozing out of Red on Blacklist.

They genuinely try to maintain her place as the female lead, and earlier on, it was clear they kind of wanted her to maybe even be more the main character than Red... but it just didn’t work, so she’s now a de facto supporting character who can disappear a few times without the fanbase caring as much.
    You think she might not be a strong enough actress?

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    I’ve only watched the first season and a smattering of other episodes, and I don’t think she’s a bad actress as much the part is limited in terms of what she can do with it with her skill set, while Reddington is basically a tailor-made role for Spader to show off in every time he’s on screen. The resulting push-and-pull between the two characters for audience attention leaves Liz inherently “handicapped” in what she can do as the more “mundane” character, while the writers theme less *want* to make Red ordering dinner interesting.

It’s a bit like the Cyclops vs Wolverine argument when it comes to cartoons and movies.

Or, to tie it back into Star Wars like in my earlier post, it’s a bit like putting Kelly Marie Tran’s role as Rose Tico against almost any other character in the Sequel Trilogy. I actually don’t hate Rose as a character - I just recognize she’s neither very interesting, nor very well written, and has a lot of inherent weaknesses in appeal baked into her.
    Last edited by godisawesome; 05-03-2021 at 09:24 AM.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

Ultimate Member

They genuinely try to maintain her place as the female lead, and earlier on, it was clear they kind of wanted her to maybe even be more the main character than Red... but it just didn’t work, so she’s now a de facto supporting character who can disappear a few times without the fanbase caring as much.
    Yeah, I got the feeling that he was supposed to be the Hannibal Lector to her Clarice Starling, but, just as in that movie, the charismatic sketchy shadowy figure sought out by what is ostensibly supposed to be the protagonist ends up way more popular than the protagonist and kind of takes over the show.

Ultimate Member

I’ve only watched the first season and a smattering of other episodes, and I don’t think she’s a bad actress as much the part is limited in terms of what she can do with it with her skill set, while Reddington is basically a tailor-made role for Spader to show off in every time he’s on screen. The resulting push-and-pull between the two characters for audience attention leaves Liz inherently “handicapped” in what she can do as the more “mundane” character, while the writers theme less *want* to make Red ordering dinner interesting.

It’s a bit like the Cyclops vs Wolverine argument when it comes to cartoons and movies.

Or, to tie it back into Star Wars like in my earlier post, it’s a bit like putting Kelly Marie Tran’s role as Rose Tico against almost any other character in the Sequel Trilogy. I actually don’t hate Rose as a character - I just recognize she’s neither very interesting, nor very well written, and has a lot of inherent weaknesses in appeal baked into her.
    Then they didn't bother fixing her in RoS. Which is too bad for Tran.

As for the Blacklist, I don't think any of the characters can really match up to Reddington

Incredible Member

Gabrielle from Xena.

BANNED

Can we please limit this discussion to actors over 16 or something? If you have a script that requires a child, then you're going to get an inexperienced actor. There are exceptions like Hailey Mills, but seriously, getting annoyed because a story uses the best they can do is not really fair.

Cliff Clavin got old after a few seasons, especially in the episodes centered on him. Christina Tofi isn't a character, but she never really fit in and I found her annoying as a result. Sam in Lord of the Rings was generally mis-characterized, and when he left Frodo it was so jarring it took me out of the rest of the movie.

Quote Originally Posted by green_garnish View Post
    Can we please limit this discussion to actors over 16 or something? If you have a script that requires a child, then you're going to get an inexperienced actor. There are exceptions like Hailey Mills, but seriously, getting annoyed because a story uses the best they can do is not really fair.
    I agree if someone is saying a child actor was terrible and criticizing their acting, but I don't see anything wrong with criticizing a character as written and presented just because the actor is young. A young actor can do a great job and deliver exactly what the director wants and still be an annoying character to someone.

Extraordinary Member

Raj and Bernadette on The Big Bang Theory. I didn't hate them but they could sure get on my last nerves.

Goober on The Andy Griffith Show for sure.

Schneider on One Day At A Time. They would be in the middle of a great discussion or argument and then he would come in and ruin the scene.

Mr. Furley on Three's Company. The Ropers were hilarious but Furley was just exhausting IMO.

Roz on Frasier. Great show - one of the best. And Roz could throw out a funny line here and there. But if she was in the episode too much, it could be annoying.

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    Nope. Every other female actress on the show, including guest stars, outshine her every time.

I'm behind: I just finished the Glen memorial/Huey Lewis ep, but not only don't I miss Liz, with PARK on the show I'm wondering do we even need Liz. I care more about what's going on with Park than whatever tantrum Liz is throwing currently.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nate Grey View Post
    Nope. Every other female actress on the show, including guest stars, outshine her every time.

I'm behind: I just finished the Glen memorial/Huey Lewis ep, but not only don't I miss Liz, with PARK on the show I'm wondering do we even need Liz. I care more about what's going on with Park than whatever tantrum Liz is throwing currently.
    I don't dislike her, but I can see what you mean

Quote Originally Posted by caj View Post
    Raj and Bernadette on The Big Bang Theory. I didn't hate them but they could sure get on my last nerves.
    I wanted to say Sheldon but I wasn't sure if he was the main character or not (I've seen people argue the main character of the show was actually PENNY). Raj seemed kinda creepy, like...kidnap you put you in a well and make a suit out of you creepy. If they were going for lovable loser, Stuart filled that niche just nicely, not Raj. Again, assuming that's where they were going.

Roz on Frasier. Great show - one of the best. And Roz could throw out a funny line here and there. But if she was in the episode too much, it could be annoying.
    Huh. I always saw Roz as a gestalt of Diane and Rebecca. The show isn't a 1:1 for Cheers characters, but some of the parallels are there. What that in mind I didn't mind her. Bulldog, though, I hated every single scene he was in. Every one.

People remember Golden Girls but barely talk about its spinoff Empty Nest, which lasted 7 years.

Charley Dietz, the sexist, lazy, free loading neighbor who would randomly barge in and ransack the fridge...hilarious, I guess? I guess he was there so Harry wouldn't be the only male on the show.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by caj View Post

Goober on The Andy Griffith Show for sure.

Schneider on One Day At A Time. They would be in the middle of a great discussion or argument and then he would come in and ruin the scene.

Mr. Furley on Three's Company. The Ropers were hilarious but Furley was just exhausting IMO.

I too hated Schneider but didn't want to show my age lol. They didn't have to force him into every single episode.

I loved Mr. Furley at first but he grew old as it was the same schtick over and over.

Quote Originally Posted by Nate Grey View Post
    People remember Golden Girls but barely talk about its spinoff Empty Nest, which lasted 7 years.

Charley Dietz, the sexist, lazy, free loading neighbor who would randomly barge in and ransack the fridge...hilarious, I guess? I guess he was there so Harry wouldn't be the only male on the show.
    Was that the "Joe Isuzu" guy? I totally remember the show for having Kristy McNichol, but I never knew it was a "Golden Girls" spinoff.

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    Was that the "Joe Isuzu" guy? I totally remember the show for having Kristy McNichol, but I never knew it was a "Golden Girls" spinoff.
    Yes, the Joe Isuzu guy. Forgot about those commercials.

Yes it was a spinoff. Harry was a widower who first popped up on The Golden Girls (had a backdoor pilot titled, "Empty Nest"), and then when he got a spinoff, they popped up on his show. In the final two seasons (6 and 7), Sofia joined the cast.

Empty Nest itself had a spinoff called Nurses, but it only lasted 3 seasons. Loni Anderson was in the third and final season.