Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Dexter Season 9

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Craig View Post
    I never did see S8. I buddy of mine would rip them from a *ahem* site and burn them to discs and mail them to me. He went through some stuff about that time and I never got to S8. I'd later find out most had the sentiment you just stated, that S8 was bad so I didn't pursue it.
    However, it is now up on Netflix so I'm going to take the plunge and watch those 12 episodes.
    Given the information about Trinity killer I wonder if we should all re-watch that season??
    Yeah, season 8 is pretty bad - especially the last few episodes. I still think it's worthwhile watching "just because", and even more so now that there will be a season 9.

Regarding the Trinity Killer, I have a feeling we will see him... in Dexter's imagination/ thoughts, the same way he was 'seeing' and chatting to his father throughout the series.

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

Ah, good thought about him taking that role. Although James Remar is still around to fill that spot...unless something in S8 purges that inner monologue from Dex.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

I finished Dexter S8 a few days ago.
    Perhaps I've had a buffer of years to hear about "how bad it is" that my expectations were sub-consciously lowered or and hear me out...it really wasn't "that bad"?

I like how we had two dominant Vogel tied serial killers. The first being the cable guy(faux Brain Surgeon) then finding out her allegedly dead son Daniel was alive and our real Big Bad.
    Hannah coming back into the picture surprised me. Show continued to write off his step kids but they gave them an acknowledgement when Dex was getting rid of stuff.

****SPOILER ALERT****** if it matters for a show that has been off air for 8 years.
    Did Dexter kill Deborah, sure I suppose technically by unplugging the life support he did. But not really. She was going to be a vegetable and the bullet that did that was from Daniel Vogel.
    Now, had Dexter put a knife in Daniel while tied up....all could've gone differently so sure from one viewpoint Dexter's inaction "killed" Deborah.
    I didn't like she got a sea burial in such a hap hazard way.
    How does the hospital explain that away? Her body would have to wash up somewhere, right?

So season 9 has the freedom to pick up anywhere now.
    Is Dexter still a lumberjack?
    Did he ever find himself again and meet up with Hannah and Harrison in Argentina?
    Is Dexter living abroad in a new identity?

So what does everyone think so far? I think it's pretty good

Astonishing Member

I'm liking it.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Smith View Post
    I'm liking it.
    I'm wondering why Dexter and son both have Covid haircuts.
    Hail Hydra!

Astonishing Member

Because the actors live in the real world before going to work?

So Dex's girlfriend, the chief, finds out that he ain't Jim! That's interesting. Also, interesting in why Clancy is what he is. Complex guy. Good start to wipe out the ending of the previous show.

So, I watched the first 6 episodes yesterday. I'm really liking this season. So far the main characters are all likeable. Dexter is off his game -- I guess that just means a more level playing field for his targets.

So, was the billionaire character basically a distraction to throw the viewer off the scent of the real baddie, so to speak? Or does anyone suppose we will see him again?
    Original join date: sometime in 2002

Astonishing Member

I'm going out on a limb to predict:

1. Dex dies
    2. All the folks he cares about die, he gets revenge and takes off.
    3. Dex dies, Harrison goes off to somewhere to continue the family business.

Soooo what did everyone think of Dexter New Blood and more importantly the finale?

I really enjoyed the season despite the many plot holes and/or mistakes. It was a lot of fun and i enjoyed the finale until the end.

Spoiler warning!!

- First off how did they not give us the Dexter / Angel Batista scene EVERYONE wanted to see? It wouldn't even need to be much. Just a moment where they locked eyes and they both know that Angel finally found out. I wanted that so bad and the fact that they brought in Angel just for those few scenes this season was a wasted opportunity.

- Harrision killing Dexter was pretty bad. I am not against Dexter dying. I think it makes the most sense that he dies but a) at the hands of Harrison just bothers me to my core and b) the reasoning makes no sense. Sure it is poetic I guess but it just would not be that easy to kill your dad. And Dexter shouldn't have wanted him to do it. He has always been so worried about Harrisons state of mind...do you think killing your dad isn't going to mess you up even more?? Lame.

"I just want to be normal" ....shoots dad.

Some mistakes made this season that really bug me.

1) Ketamine. Dexter used M99 in the original series. Never ketamine so when Angela searched Ketamine and Miami the Bay Harbor Butcher should not have popped up. And this wasn't just a small point in the original series. There was an episode in season 2 dedicated to it. And it was brought up several times throughout the original run.

2) How did Kurt figure out Jim killed his son? That made zero sense. Because someone used the incinerator late at night? That would make him go there and look through the remains?

Honorable mention to Batista randomly mentioning Harrisons name in front of Angela.

Anyway, despite my problems with the show I really enjoyed New Blood. It was MUCH better than seasons 7 & 8 of the original series.

What did you guys think?
    Read The Flash#1 this September!

Astonishing Member

Good show and finale. I'm ok with Harrison doing Dexter in. It makes most dramatic sense. I did want to see Angel at the very end.

Two minor techy complaints. The Chief has to rack her side arm for effect. Nope, police guns have a chambered round almost always. Second, Harrison showed no noticeable recoil for a hunting rifle - should seen some movement.

Otherwise, I could have used a bit of closure epilogue. Maybe they will release some unshown scenes.

Yep. Felt robbed we didn't get a Dexter/Batista reunion. It would not need to be a huge deal either like mentioned above.

I also wanted closure dialogue. I actually liked Angela and Audrey.

Yes, this series was better than Dexter S7 & 8.

The show runner said he'd be up for a Harrison-centric spin-off with Dexter as the spiritual guide if an offer is out there
    Original join date: sometime in 2002

I've also recently finished Dexter: New Blood.

• I'll admit it has been way too long for me to recall that they dedicated an episode way back when to Ketamine vs M99 so that loophole flew right past me. I enjoyed the tension it brought all the same.
    • I do agree I feel a bit let down we didn't get the Dex/Batista reunion in someway.
    • Kurt being a serial killer himself and recognizing the type of ash that was coming down on he and Dex that night outside the Tavern is meant to be our only clue he knew human remains were involved. How to link that to Jim/Dex though is the stretch
    • Still puzzled at Deputy Logans death. The gunshot by his head didn't kill him. Dex strangled him?
    • Harrison killing his dad is disturbing, that I felt as well. It's exactly opposite of what he'd hope for Harrison in that letter he wrote Hannah. Killing your dad has to mess you up...more, regardless the reason(s).

I did enjoy the season. A buddy of mine felt let down that Dexter wasn't distributing more justice like we saw in earlier seasons. My explanation to him is we meet Dex/Jim 10yrs later where he has learned to better control his "Dark Passenger" and also set himself up in the best version of Mayberry the 21st century will allow. What's he going to do kill the guy who double parks too much in the town square? Also, I told him lets not forget he did get to 4 people over the 10 episodes. It was Matt, Kurt, Kurts stooge and the drug maker(even if he didn't get to go "whole Dex" on him.

Personally I wouldn't be interested in a Harrison show with Dexter as the silent voice of reason. I don't find the actor that intriguing as a lead. He works as the "sidekick" but I don't feel him as a lead.

Astonishing Member

I have no interest in a Harrison spin off. Dexter was unique character in his time. A mini Dexter trying to find himself, his code, blah, blah - not interested.

I understand the need for employment but it's sometimes sad when a Worf, Sulu or whomever says they would love to do a series based on a supporting character. They would love a job!

Better to get out of the genre! Willow the witch to a sit-com - that's a better way if you can get the work rather than pursuing your type casting.

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

Thanks to the DVD release, I finally saw New Blood. And it was definitely a better final season than season 8. It had some inspired cinematography and set design, and fit Dex's progression over the show more. And the end offered more closure and was satisfying enough.

I loved that Dexter kinda couldn't see or accept (until the very end) that Harrison was not (exactly) like him and more genuinely interested in a normal life. And Dexter could help Harrison get to a normal life easier...by dying.

Clancy Brown was used effectively enough, with Kurt/Matt as the thematic foil/parallel to Dexter/Harrison.....probably the best part was when after Dexter killed Kurt, you could tell, after Kurt suggested so to Dex, that Harrison was noticing that Dexter is a lot like Kurt, Dexter loving every minute of what he is doing, the control, the satiation.

New Blood's only fault maybe is that it didn't "up its game" much relative to the best seasons of Dexter. It simply settled for a better final season, not award winning television.

When it comes to TV, I think HBO, and I wonder "What would HBO have done with this season or other seasons of Dexter?" and I think that because Dexter has never been too ambitious a show. It does what it does, and doesn't aim for more, and New Blood is the same and in that sense it's a tad disappointing. Because this show was offered a rare chance to aim higher, aim grander, and decided just to settle merely for better than some seasons of Dexter.
    Last edited by JBatmanFan05; 03-30-2022 at 11:25 AM.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”