Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Astonishing Member mathew101281's Avatar

Default Would you get a computer chip implanted in your brain?

Like neuralink . I wouldn’t. We can’t trust tech companies with our social media pages( 2016 election)why would we trust them with our brains. Sure it has some benefits, but it might also be the most effective form of mind control ever created.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Hmm! Curious! All things considered, I'd rather have my brain placed in an android body, that would be the next best thing to immortality.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

These devices, they are wonderful when they are working well. But when there’s a problem, you regret not having something simpler…

Currently, I regret my electrical shutter is electric…
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe

BANNED

I wouldn't want to be one of the first to try it, but if the tech were perfected I'd absolutely do it. Heck, I'd plug into the Matrix if you got to choose your own adventure from time to time but just had a regular world to interact with others. Imagine being in a virtual reality where you could fight alongside the X-Men, take out orcs with your axe/bow/spell in some fantasy setting, or do anything else that might appeal to you. Then there's the immortality possibility (though as I understand it, the best they might be able to do is replicate your mind but it wouldn't really be you, just a consciousness indistinguishable from yours outside of yours), or even something as mundane as keeping track of your bodies nutritional needs and reminding you to take a particular supplement/consume a particular food or needing to stretch a particular body part/etc. Helping to keep that physical body in good shape to maximize use of the brain.

As to being hacked, my thing with the whole "somebody's trying to mind control you and take over the world" my feeling is if they can then I'm probably not going to be able to stop it anyway, and it seems like too much of a hassle for someone with those resources. I'd worry more about bugs with the tech or other complications.

Boisterously Confused

Um, lemme see...maybe...F*** NO!

Aside from wondering what skullduggery (pardon the pun) the tech company might have going, I'm not interested having some far-away programmer decide it's time to take some of my capabilities offline for maintenance. All that's before we even consider what kind of stuff their Terms & Conditions are going to say they're not liable for.
    Last edited by DrNewGod; 04-30-2021 at 10:01 AM.

Astonishing Member

If there were no health side effects i would.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    Hmm! Curious! All things considered, I'd rather have my brain placed in an android body, that would be the next best thing to immortality.
    Assuming the technology is perfected to where you feel “at home” in your new vessel. If it’s not, however.....

Astonishing Member mathew101281's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    Um, lemme see...maybe...F*** NO!

Aside from wondering what skullduggery (pardon the pun) the tech company might have going, I'm not interested having some far-away programmer decide it's time to take some of my capabilities offline for maintenance. All that's before we even consider what kind of stuff their Terms & Conditions are going to say they're not liable for.
    Exactly, At best it will be like crazy pop up adds that you can’t escape from, Spam emails or those YouTube commercials you can’t skip. At worse it’s a second voice inside your head trying to make you do stuff and buy things you don’t need.

Quote Originally Posted by CSTowle View Post
    I wouldn't want to be one of the first to try it, but if the tech were perfected I'd absolutely do it. Heck, I'd plug into the Matrix if you got to choose your own adventure from time to time but just had a regular world to interact with others. Imagine being in a virtual reality where you could fight alongside the X-Men, take out orcs with your axe/bow/spell in some fantasy setting, or do anything else that might appeal to you. Then there's the immortality possibility (though as I understand it, the best they might be able to do is replicate your mind but it wouldn't really be you, just a consciousness indistinguishable from yours outside of yours), or even something as mundane as keeping track of your bodies nutritional needs and reminding you to take a particular supplement/consume a particular food or needing to stretch a particular body part/etc. Helping to keep that physical body in good shape to maximize use of the brain.

As to being hacked, my thing with the whole "somebody's trying to mind control you and take over the world" my feeling is if they can then I'm probably not going to be able to stop it anyway, and it seems like too much of a hassle for someone with those resources. I'd worry more about bugs with the tech or other complications.
    At this point, looking at we are today compared to when I was born (when vinyl records, 3-5 tv channels, and broadcast radio was the height of communications technology), I would not be surprised if we have VR tech by the time we are elderly, another 40-50 years or so. Maybe not like the Matrix, where they are plugging directly into your brain, but more like Ready Player One, where you're able to use like a headset plus gloves or whatever to go into a fully immersive 3-D world. I will be very disappointed if somehow we don't get there...

Anyway no, I would not get a chip in my brain.

Also no to the getting-my-mind-implanted-in-a-computer-or-android thing. Even if it was a new consciousness that totally felt like it was me transplanted, I don't see how that would help the original me, in any way.
    Be kind to me, or treat me mean
    I'll make the most of it, I'm an extraordinary machine

First of all, Elon Musk is a big hot air bag whose biggest accomplishment is a space Tesla.

But no, but just because foreign objects in the body pretty much always present a nuisance at a minimum. Unsolvable problem at maximum.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

I for sure would. Because it is so damn annoying to post all the details of my life on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and then bitch about privacy and how I dont want so much attention using my clunky fingers. Humanity needs to know what I am having for dinner and my thoughts on the Royal Family at all times. In these tough days the world deserves that.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

At this point I wouldn't. The only thing that might change my mind is if I got something like Alzheimer's or CTE. If I did and the neural device could fix it then I'd have to seriously consider it.
    "Kids don't care **** about superhero comic books. And if they do, they probably start with manga, with One Punch-Man or My Hero Academia. " -ImOctavius.

Fantastic Member

A neural link that allows full immersive virtual reality? No way. The potential for abuse is way too high. Have you seen Altered Carbon?

Look at the awful things human beings do to each other. Now imagine it amplified a million-fold, plus leaving no evidence behind. Virtual torture, being killed repeatedly.

I sincerely hope that this kind of technology isn't developed.

As far as microchips to deal with medical issues like Alzheimer, that's completely different... I have no problem with responsible development of that kind of tech.

Ol' Doogie, Circa 2005 GindyPosts's Avatar

Hell no.

Like, as someone with a whole litany of issues (autism, which was well documented on the old incarnation of the forum as I emotionally matured from a sheltered nonce to somebody with a general understanding of the world around him, as well as ADHD & mood disorders), I'd likely be viewed as a prime candidate for whatever marvels a computer chip would supposedly do for the disabled. But, then we'd be getting into weird territory in which we would try and use technology to fix "defects" in people instead of just accepting that stuff happens. This is the polite way to say that it would be a form of eugenics. I'm by no means a technophobe, but I remain baffled that the same people who typically are against established scientific and technological marvels like vaccines and wireless mobile communications somehow are the same who will look at the man who can't make a decent car and go, "YES! Put a chip in my head!"

BANNED

Yeah, noticed a few mentions of Musk and to be clear given his track record I'm not banging the drum for him or his company specifically, just saying in the future (many decades, I'd imagine) when such tech is perfected I'd absolutely participate. I'm perfectly fine to let others try out new tech on things that aren't potentially deadly, let alone something I'd be sticking in my brain. That said, regardless of who perfects the tech I'm on board when it happens.