Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    The Black Knight was given an interesting one: he had a sword that could cut anything, but had to be extremely careful with it because drawing blood came with a number of curse effects.
    Wasn't there a variation of some sort with Katana and her sword because it's cursed and the souls of people she killed were drawn into it? Then again, I could be wrong about that.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    Wasn't there a variation of some sort with Katana and her sword because it's cursed and the souls of people she killed were drawn into it? Then again, I could be wrong about that.
    Not sure it counts as a weakness, was more a way to make her badass and add a tragic element, as the souls of some loved ones were included.

Back in 2000, no editor caught that they gave the exact same gimmick to a male Japanese character in Titans Annual 1, a guy called Bushido.

Beautiful villains?

“Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe

Quote Originally Posted by Zelena View Post
    Beautiful villains?

Ahh the weakness of the straight teenage male superhero circa 1960s, located in their underpants.

Like that time Magneto had Lorelei use her song to enchant all the male X-Men. Somehow didn't reckon with Jean though, who ended up being the key to his defeat XD
    Take my dreams, childish and weak at the seams
    Please don't analyze, please just be there for me

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    I don't know that I could classify that one as a weakness. Now the soul's got called forth a few times, and made all manner of ruckus, but it's not something that routinely inconveniences Katana.

As an aside, I always loved the relationship Barr and Aparo gave Katana and her late husband.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Zelena View Post
    Beautiful villains?

Wanda actually had a couple. If she was the least bit careless about pointing, it would trigger her Hex. For a goodly stretch of her first tenure in The Avengers, 3 Hexes in an (undefined) short period would exhaust her power.

This discussion reminded me of this from the webcomic Grrlpower

Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

Captain Marvel used to have a weakness in the Fawcett comics during the 1940's and early 1950's. Whenever he changes back to Billy Batson so a a teenage boy would have a better chance of investigating a crime, he gets bonked on the head by the villain, then gets gagged and tied and is about to get killed until Billy manages to speak the magic word...SHAZAM!

Quote Originally Posted by K7P5V View Post
    Correct. But if you want accuracy, then this should be more to your liking...

But no listing for Pink Kryptonite.

from Supergirl#79

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    But no listing for Pink Kryptonite.
    Well I mentioned it in one of my comments above. I said it was a spoof story. Maybe some people take it seriously, but I think of it as being outside of any real continuity. It's in the story about the pre-Crisis Supergirl coming back in post-Crisis. But I think that's just there in the story as the writer and artist's little joke. And it's a really little joke, not worth giving any attention in my opinion. You know that was back when making jokes about gay people was supposed to be funny. [eyeroll emoji]

BANNED

Yeah, I like Peter David's writing but that's more than a bit cringey.

So pink kryptonite can make you attracted to the same gender as you?

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by Zauriel View Post
    So pink kryptonite can make you attracted to the same gender as you?
    To give this concept more consideration than it's worth, I'd like to ask Peter David how this applies to folks that are gay, non-binary, pansexual. Do they become the reverse, too? How far can you stretch this idea before it breaks? I feel like Jimmy is already a kinky kind of guy in the pre-Crisis comics--so does that mean the pink K. would make him very straight and boring? He never goes through transformations, never dresses up in women's clothes and flirts with men and revels in the attentions they give him, never poses as a magician and marries his sweetheart then gets a divorce, never chases after giant alien women then becomes a giant himself, never participates in imaginary stories where he marries Linda only for her to chase after him as Supergirl and make him forget his vows, never tries to bed three women at a time, never becomes a vampire or a werewolf or a millionaire. Just works hard and settles down to a nine to five existence, gives up on his dreams and desires. Well, at least, he would have gone to see the Beatles live at the Metropolis Stadium, rather than skipping that to transform into a strongman and chase after Lucy at the Club Watusi.