Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    Yes, they are. There is no easy way to have stories with Reed and Ben in WWII in continuity and also their age today. Tony and Franks origins are in VietNam, but they are not in their 70s. It is something that can never be aligned, so a willing suspension of disbelief is necessary.
    Sucks that they did this with the Punisher. The Vietnam War is so integrated into his character that it's hard to see him not being a vet anymore. They should have given him the infinity formula or something.

Quote Originally Posted by shooshoomanjoe View Post
    Sucks that they did this with the Punisher. The Vietnam War is so integrated into his character that it's hard to see him not being a vet anymore. They should have given him the infinity formula or something.
    I think the Punisher's origin should be tied to real-world wars.

But he's also been to fictional countries, too. This story will not say he never served in Vietnam. He's served in Siancong, but that's not the only place he served.

kdb
    Visit www.busiek.com—for all your Busiek needs!

Hold your machete tight! Personamanx's Avatar

Enjoyed the second issue, there are a lot of wheels turning. Not sure where they're all headed yet, but I don't mind a bit of a road trip.
    Continuity, even in a "shared" comics universe is often insignificant if not largely detrimental to the quality of a comic.

Immortal X-Men - Once & Future- X-Cellent - X-Men: Red

Nobody cares about what you don't like, they barely care about what you do like.

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Who is the new Warbird? What are her powers (other than flight, obviously)? Any connection to the Sh'iar? Is she related to any existing Marvel character? Who created and designed her? What was the inspiration for her? Details, folks, I need details.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by JudicatorPrime View Post
    Who is the new Warbird? What are her powers (other than flight, obviously)? Any connection to the Sh'iar? Is she related to any existing Marvel character? Who created and designed her? What was the inspiration for her? Details, folks, I need details.
    You'll learn more about her over time, just keep reading THE MARVELS.

She's created by me, Alex Ross and Yildiray Cinar, and designed by Alex.

kdb
    Visit www.busiek.com—for all your Busiek needs!

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt Busiek View Post
    You'll learn more about her over time, just keep reading THE MARVELS.

She's created by me, Alex Ross and Yildiray Cinar, and designed by Alex.

kdb
    Thanks for replying so quickly. Cool, will do.

Edit: Ok, the muse has run its course. Happy 4th, everyone!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by JudicatorPrime; 09-25-2021 at 06:06 PM.

Looking at the preview, I just have to appreciate all the masterful synergy.
    The Falcon and the Winter Soldier just ended? We have Winter Soldier.
    Black Widow very soon? We have Red Guardian
    Eternals less soon? We have Deviants
    And September solicits mention Strange just as we are nearing his movie.

Astonishing Member

I feel that the character design is definitely inspired by Dave Cockrum's work. A mix of Deathbird and Storm (reminds me of the version from Kitty's Fairy tale), so Sh'iar is a good guess.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sataniel View Post
    Looking at the preview, I just have to appreciate all the masterful synergy.
    The Falcon and the Winter Soldier just ended? We have Winter Soldier.
    Black Widow very soon? We have Red Guardian
    Eternals less soon? We have Deviants
    And September solicits mention Strange just as we are nearing his movie.
    Only the Vision and the Scarlet Witch are immune to synergy.

Quote Originally Posted by kcekada View Post
    I feel that the character design is definitely inspired by Dave Cockrum's work. A mix of Deathbird and Storm (reminds me of the version from Kitty's Fairy tale), so Sh'iar is a good guess.
    Definitely. It's a little like wine tasting, where you get hints of different elements with that very first sip. When I first saw Warbird, my mind went most immediately to Sh'iar, Storm, Horus, Akasha Martinez (who was the second Living Pharaoh for a minute), Hawkgirl (a possible analogue -- blame that darn Heroes Reborn event) and the Elohim. It's fun considering the possibilities. I'm sure she won't be anything that fanciful though. Will have to wait and see.

Definitely. It's a little like wine tasting, where you get hints of different elements with that very first sip. When I first saw Warbird, my mind went most immediately to Sh'iar, Storm, Horus, Akasha Martinez (who was the second Living Pharaoh for a minute), Hawkgirl (a possible analogue -- blame that darn Heroes Reborn event) and the Elohim. It's fun considering the possibilities. I'm sure she won't be anything that fanciful though. Will have to wait and see.
    I noticed that the lightning bolt pattern is like that of Carol Danvers’ second Ms Marvel costume, which she also wore when she went by the name Warbird. There are two, so it wasn’t immediately obvious to me.

So far I like the book a lot. It almost seems like a no brainer that someone would have come up with a book that used the entire MU as its setting….so I’m glad to see that kind of book.

Also, I just get a kick out of watching Prince and Bowie talking Marvel!

Loved the third issue. What an eclectic crew gathered here. I even had to look up who Craig Simpson and Alain Racine were (I didn't recognize their civilian names).

Deviants, the Shi'ar, Winter Soldier and Red Guardian... and best of all, the original Dr. Strange (changing it to Strang makes sense). Busiek is a master at weaving the MU pieces into an entertaining story.

My only issue was Johnny Storm's age. First, I think 17 years is too short a time since FF #1. And second, I thought Johnny was only five or six years younger than Sue, who is in turn ten or so years younger than Reed and Ben. Johnny seemed about eight here.
    Last edited by strathcona; 07-01-2021 at 08:19 PM.

Ultimate Member

Were the dudes speaking Yoruba with the Shiar supposed to be Wakandans? They seemed to have some high-tech weapons, but then they were travelling with Shiar (and if little Warbird is any indication, more than recent or casual acquaintances!), so could have been using Shiar weapons...

Quote Originally Posted by strathcona View Post
    Loved the third issue. What an eclectic crew gathered here. I even had to look up who Craig Simpson and Alain Racine were (I didn't recognize their civilian names).

Deviants, the Shi'ar, Winter Soldier and Red Guardian... and best of all, the original Dr. Strange (changing it to Strang makes sense). Busiek is a master at weaving the MU pieces into an entertaining story.

My only issue was Johnny Storm's age. First, I think 17 years is too short a time since FF #1. And second, I thought Johnny was only five or six years younger than Sue, who is in turn ten or so years younger than Reed and Ben. Johnny seemed about eight here.
    Yeah not a fan of that too, it was really weird when Johnny called Ben "Uncle Ben".

Quote Originally Posted by Marvel Wars View Post
    Yeah not a fan of that too, it was really weird when Johnny called Ben "Uncle Ben".
    Yeah, forgot to mention that. The way I'm thinking about it in my headcannon (I hate that term, but it's the perfect word for it) is that Johnny was actually older than he looked there (maybe 13 or so) and the airplane noises and Uncle Ben stuff was all part of making fun of Ben.