Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Quote Originally Posted by strathcona View Post
    I do recommend reading Head Games, Patton Oswalt did a great job. Did a great job on the show too.
    Patton's a sharp writer and a good guy, so I'd expect nothing less.

I'll catch up with it at some point.

kdb
    Visit www.busiek.com—for all your Busiek needs!

Just read issue 6 which explores Lotus's background. It's a modified version of her history from the original Invaders run with explanation of what she did after WWII ended. I love how Busiek weaves real world history with MU history to explain how, while the Vietnam War still happened, most of the early instances of it back in the 60s and 70s were actually the Siancong War instead. It's a long needed retcon.

Kurt, I do have a couple of questions though. Is Wong Daochu your own creation? I know his son is an old Iron Man foe, I'm just assuming the father is new. Similar question about Khruul and his nephew. Is the Khruul we see earlier in this book the one from the early Avengers stories, or is the nephew? If it's the older one, then is this nephew Mantis's brother? Near the end, who is the guy with the odd mask and stone around his neck? I was able to find out who Half-Face is (what an awful name), buy not this guy. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by strathcona View Post
    I do have a couple of questions though. Is Wong Daochu your own creation? I know his son is an old Iron Man foe, I'm just assuming the father is new.
    Sort of. I mean, Yildiray and I made him up, but he's pretty much just Wong Chu, the prequel. Wong Daochu's name is essentially Wong Chu, but he's got a generational middle name of Dao. The Wong Chu Iron Man met would have a middle name, too, but we don't know what it was.

And since Iron Man's origin currently took place around 2007 or so, Wong Daochu's son may be the father of the Wong Iron Man tangled with. Or the uncle, or even grandfather. It's been a long time since 1947.

They're a dynasty of powerful Communist-leaning hill-bandits, thanks to Lotus. However long the time-gap between WWII and Iron Man's origin gets, multiple generations of Wongs can fill it.

Similar question about Khruul and his nephew. Is the Khruul we see earlier in this book the one from the early Avengers stories, or is the nephew?
    Same deal. There's apparently a line of Khruuls. I don't think "Khruul" is an actual name, more of a role, so different members of the family can step into it over time.

If it's the older one, then is this nephew Mantis's brother?
    The Khruul we see in 1947 is far too old to be the one who we saw in the Englehart AVENGERS, especially since those stories now took place in the 21st century. The 1947 Khruul's nephew could possibly be the father or uncle -- or even grandfather or great-uncle -- of the one who got killed by the Star-Stalker.

I mean, let's assume that the Khruul we saw in the 70s AVENGERS was 45 when he died, and that story took place in 2010 (it was probably later, but it makes the math simpler). So that Khruul was born in 1965. Assume his father was 20 when he was born, that would mean his father was born in 1945. So either the Khruul we see in THE MARVELS 1 is the father of an two-year-old (possible) or he's the father of an adult son who's the grandfather of the Englehart Khruul.

We don't have to specify exactly the line of descent, because as time goes on, it will change. But however Marvel time goes, there's an adult Khruul around to be part of Mantis's history, and Lotus made sure each generation's Khruul was a powerful guy in Siancong crime circles.

There's still a Khruul running black dust out of Siancong, so the one the Star-Stalker killed must have had heirs.

Near the end, who is the guy with the odd mask and stone around his neck?
    That's The Demon. You can find him in JOURNEY INTO MYSTERY 123-125, if I remember correctly.

kdb
    Last edited by Kurt Busiek; 12-03-2021 at 11:08 PM.

Hey Mr. Busiek. I’ve been enjoying your run on The Marvels and wanted to ask will Tony Stark be playing a bigger role in the future of this run?
    Last edited by Tony Stark; 12-03-2021 at 10:47 PM.
    "We live in a world of cowards. We live in a world full of small minds who are afraid. We are ruled by those who refuse to risk anything of their own. Who guard their over bloated paucities of power with money. With false reasoning. With measured hesitance. With prideful, recalcitrant inaction. With hateful invective. With weapons. F@#K these selfish fools and their prevailing world order." Tony Stark

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Stark View Post
    Hey Mr. Busiek. I’ve been enjoying your run on The Marvels and wanted to ask will Tony Stark be playing a bigger role in the future of this run?
    He's been in every issue but 3 so far -- and he's not leaving soon.

kdb

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt Busiek View Post

kdb
    Thanks and keep up the great work.
    "We live in a world of cowards. We live in a world full of small minds who are afraid. We are ruled by those who refuse to risk anything of their own. Who guard their over bloated paucities of power with money. With false reasoning. With measured hesitance. With prideful, recalcitrant inaction. With hateful invective. With weapons. F@#K these selfish fools and their prevailing world order." Tony Stark

Astonishing Member

I loved the latest issue and the focus on Lady Lotus and her backstory! She has been one of my favourite villains for a long time -- and I first met her as Lotus Nemark in AVENGERS SPOTLIGHT, before it was later revealed that "Lotus Newmark" and Lady Lotus were the same character.

It was fascinating to see what she was up to during some of those years between her old INVADERS appearances and her later re-emergence as an L.A. crime boss and businesswoman. Even with a whole issue devoted to exploring her backstory, there is still so much waiting to explore. Her half-Atlantean daughter Nia; her schemes with the Stone Perfs, Armed Response, Splice, etc; whatever the heck Mephisto was up to in exposing her activities to Wonder Man back in his solo book....and those are just some the things were already are aware of. Who knows what other secrets are lurking in her decades of behind the scenes schemes and manipulations?

Thank you, Kurt Busiek, for bringing back Lady Lotus and giving her such an interesting role in this arc! I am looking forward to seeing how this all plays out, as well as getting to learn more about Kevin Schumer and the new Warbird!

Quote Originally Posted by Dermie View Post
    I loved the latest issue and the focus on Lady Lotus and her backstory! She has been one of my favourite villains for a long time -- and I first met her as Lotus Nemark in AVENGERS SPOTLIGHT, before it was later revealed that "Lotus Newmark" and Lady Lotus were the same character.

It was fascinating to see what she was up to during some of those years between her old INVADERS appearances and her later re-emergence as an L.A. crime boss and businesswoman. Even with a whole issue devoted to exploring her backstory, there is still so much waiting to explore. Her half-Atlantean daughter Nia; her schemes with the Stone Perfs, Armed Response, Splice, etc; whatever the heck Mephisto was up to in exposing her activities to Wonder Man back in his solo book....and those are just some the things were already are aware of. Who knows what other secrets are lurking in her decades of behind the scenes schemes and manipulations?

Thank you, Kurt Busiek, for bringing back Lady Lotus and giving her such an interesting role in this arc! I am looking forward to seeing how this all plays out, as well as getting to learn more about Kevin Schumer and the new Warbird!
    Good call on Nia Noble. Would love to see her again.
    TO KNOW HER IS TO FEAR HER: JESSICA DREW THE SPIDER-WOMAN
    BE SURE TO CHECK OUT THE NEW 2024 SPIDER-WOMAN SERIES by STEVE FOXE!!!

MISSING:
    Synch's Aura
    Northstar and Aurora's shiny hair
    Spider-Woman’s cowl costume

Thanks for the answers Kurt. I figured that the Wong and Khruul situation might be as you described. I'm not all that familiar with early Thor stories, so I've never heard of the Demon before, but it seems like you are using this story to wrap in some "unspecified Asian communists" from the early MU, not just ones who were connected to the Vietnam War. I like it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt Busiek View Post

kdb
    Loved his original armor cameo as well as Thor in his classic costume. Hope to see more of it. Been enjoying the run.