Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Default Kurt Busiek's "The Marvels"

Did anyone pick up The Marvels this week?

I normally love Busiek but I thought this was only just okay. I liked the scene with Captain America just enjoying a sandwich in the park, and the mystery in that asian country was interesting but even for a book billed as Astro City but with actual Marvel characters the reveal at the end was a little too on the nose. I don't know, maybe one issue isn't enough to get a feel on a project like this but if it were by anybody else I think I might have walked away.

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post

I normally love Busiek but I thought this was only just okay. I liked the scene with Captain America just enjoying a sandwich in the park, and the mystery in that asian country was interesting but even for a book billed as Astro City but with actual Marvel characters the reveal at the end was a little too on the nose. I don't know, maybe one issue isn't enough to get a feel on a project like this but if it were by anybody else I think I might have walked away.
    It’s just the first issue. It is very similar to his Astro City writing style where the focus is on regular people. Looks like the Kevin Schumer character will be the main focus. I’m just hoping he incorporates a lot of silver age flashbacks. I want to see D listers as well as the A listers.

Schumer has the star blazer gun. Hoping to see the Zodiac in this somewhere. I wish Kurt would write another Thunderbolts series. Plus more Astro City.

Do you know how many issues of Marvels there will be?

Quote Originally Posted by Dreaded Porcupine View Post
    It’s just the first issue. It is very similar to his Astro City writing style where the focus is on regular people. Looks like the Kevin Schumer character will be the main focus. I’m just hoping he incorporates a lot of silver age flashbacks. I want to see D listers as well as the A listers.

Schumer has the star blazer gun. Hoping to see the Zodiac in this somewhere. I wish Kurt would write another Thunderbolts series. Plus more Astro City.

Do you know how many issues of Marvels there will be?
    It is planned as an ongoing series so as long as it'll sell I guess.
    Tolstoy will live forever. Some people do. But that's not enough. It's not the length of a life that matters, just the depth of it. The chances we take. The paths we choose. How we go on when our hearts break. Hearts always break and so we bend with our hearts. And we sway. But in the end what matters is that we loved... and lived.

Seemed like a typical Busiek comic with a deep dive into Marvel continuity coalescing into an intricate and layered story with plenty of fun in-between .

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post

I've just read it and I have to say I am NOT disappointed, its classic Busiek not a bad thing) and I love the character moments I also like the new characters introduced so far. I love all the cameos too.

Sorry you were disappointed but I have to say it was possibly my favourite comic of the month. (If course, if Kurt were to find a way to finish off Paul Jenkins ALL-WINNERS SQUAD: BAND OF HEROES I'd be delighted but I won;t hold my breathe)

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Seemed like a typical Busiek comic with a deep dive into Marvel continuity coalescing into an intricate and layered story with plenty of fun in-between .
    Exactly! That's what I like seeing. I hope it goes on forever!

Ultimate Member

I'm still not in love with this Sin Cong place, since it feels like a way to get to use all sorts of ugly Orientalist tropes without using a real world location like Viet Nam.

But the story itself intrigues me, and I am eager to see what's up with this new character with the lightning motif and the wings. She looks like a sort of merger of Storm and Deathbird, if that makes sense.

I've always loved Busiek's work, on Thunderbolts, the Power Company, Avengers, Avengers Forever, etc. so I expect I'll enjoy this as well, and Cinar's art from the Legion of Superheroes was amazing. (It looks quite a bit different here, his style keeps changing!)

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    I'm still not in love with this Sin Cong place, since it feels like a way to get to use all sorts of ugly Orientalist tropes without using a real world location like Viet Nam.

But the story itself intrigues me, and I am eager to see what's up with this new character with the lightning motif and the wings. She looks like a sort of merger of Storm and Deathbird, if that makes sense.

I've always loved Busiek's work, on Thunderbolts, the Power Company, Avengers, Avengers Forever, etc. so I expect I'll enjoy this as well, and Cinar's art from the Legion of Superheroes was amazing. (It looks quite a bit different here, his style keeps changing!)
    It is because of the sliding time scale...all those Vietnam vets cannot be old enough to have served in Vietnam now. From what I have read it is supposed to be a combination of Vietnam and Korea and hard line communist.

Quote Originally Posted by chicago_bastard View Post
    It is planned as an ongoing series so as long as it'll sell I guess.
    That’s actually awesome. Reading an intricate story that crosses a bunch of timelines. I hope it sells well enough to keep it going. Something different and Kurt always handles this type of writing style well.

I really enjoyed the first issue. I hope the book is successful. I'm intrigued to see where the story is headed.
    Live Faust, Die Jung.

Imo it was a fun read looking forward to the next issue

I liked the first issue. Really excited for this series. I hope my boy Hank Pym gets some love. Kurt Busiek wrote him and Jan really well in his Avengers run, so I hope they pop up at some point.
    Also loved Carol's Bahston roots being acknowledged with the Sox cap.
    Last edited by Celtic1967; 05-02-2021 at 03:15 AM.
    Wanna make somethin' of it?

BANNED

I picked it up and enjoyed it. I like the explaination Mr. Busiek gave at the end, basically anything goes from any corner and era of the Marvel universe. I dunno how many writers have kept up with the recent "retcons" and whatnot regarding some Marvel characters, particularly with someone like Hulk, who thanks to Ewings Immortal Hulk series and some of the retcons there has been turned into a completely different "beast" if you will.

I really wish more writers delved into his Dissociative identity disorder, but i know it's a touchy subject for most, still this is neither here nor there.

Looking forward to the next issue.

I really liked this issue. It felt like a classic Marvel comic.
    I hope Busiek doesn't focus too much on US military interventionism, thought. That's not an aspect I find appealing and I couldn't really see why characters like Daredevil would take part in that, for example.

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Chris0013 View Post
    It is because of the sliding time scale...all those Vietnam vets cannot be old enough to have served in Vietnam now. From what I have read it is supposed to be a combination of Vietnam and Korea and hard line communist.
    Wait, what??? Just to be clear, the Korean and Vietnam Wars still occurred in the Marvel Universe, correct? I mean Reed, Tony, Ben, Frank Castle and others weren't the only ones who are vets of those wars. There are some characters whose history intersect with those events...including at least one whom I doubt Busiek will give even a passing mention to in his "in depth" continuity. Or are they really completely expunging the actual history in favor of a more modern fictional conflict, just so that no one questions the age of their characters?