Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 16
  1. #1
    Invincible Member MajorHoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    22,458

    Default Dr. Mid-Nite (Dr. Pieter Anton Cross) Appreciation Thread 2021

    We already have the "Golden Age Dr. Mid-Nite (Charles McNider) Appreciation 2021" thread, but here's a separate thread for the Pieter Anton Cross version.
    I would refer to him as the "latest version", but that might get confusing since it appears the Beth Chapel version could be back?

    First appearance for Pieter Cross was in Doctor Mid-Nite #1 (September 1999).


    And from JSA Secret Files #1 (August 1999):

  2. #2
    Justice Society Chairman Cat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    227

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    We already have the "Golden Age Dr. Mid-Nite (Charles McNider) Appreciation 2021" thread, but here's a separate thread for the Pieter Anton Cross version.
    I would refer to him as the "latest version", but that might get confusing since it appears the Beth Chapel version could be back?

    First appearance for Pieter Cross was in Doctor Mid-Nite #1 (September 1999).


    And from JSA Secret Files #1 (August 1999):

    What a gem of a character. One of the defining characters of Johns' modern JSA, with his well developed characterisation and well fleshed out being, just a hare being characters such as Mr Terrific and Stargirl, to name just two. His banter with Michael is some of the highlight material of the run. Absolutely a must for any modern team incarnation, due to his deft characterisation and multiple useful skills, and his bonus of representation for a certain community, a real boon for comics.

    Here I am praising the heck out of the guy, and he's not even one of my favourites! I just admire how well written he is, and how much he contributes to the team. He's a pillar of the modern team, and that should not be forgotten. He's essential, DC, so don't mess with him. I understand wanting synergy with your TV show, but this is larger than a TV show that lasts a couple of seasons. This is about legacy. 22 years and counting. You don't mess with that.

  3. #3
    Astonishing Member John Venus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    3,468

    Default

    Pieter deserves more love.

  4. #4

    Default

    Why did Johns write Cross out of the JSA after Infinite Crisis was over? Him and Jakeem Thunder both.

  5. #5
    Spectacular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2021
    Posts
    205

    Default

    One of my favourite underrated heroes in the DC-verse; a well respected surgeon (one of my favorite contributions in story was "Heart of Hush" where he worked round the clock to keep Selina alive).

  6. #6
    Extraordinary Member j9ac9k's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    7,190

    Default

    I loved the Matt Wagner series that introduced him. Cross was an interesting character and a hero before ever putting on the cape. He continued to be awesome in JSA where he was shown as uber-competent and intelligent but also humble and measured. He had great chemistry with Black Canary and Mr Terrific and quickly became one of the best members of that lineup, imo. Such a shame nobody has championed him and brought him back, especially since there isn't a current holder of the mantle.

  7. #7
    Astonishing Member Nomads1's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Rio de Janeiro/Brazil
    Posts
    3,152

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    Pieter deserves more love.
    Agreed.

    Peace

  8. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    I loved the Matt Wagner series that introduced him. Cross was an interesting character and a hero before ever putting on the cape. He continued to be awesome in JSA where he was shown as uber-competent and intelligent but also humble and measured. He had great chemistry with Black Canary and Mr Terrific and quickly became one of the best members of that lineup, imo. Such a shame nobody has championed him and brought him back, especially since there isn't a current holder of the mantle.
    I agree. While, as a general rule, most superheroes (especially DC superheroes) get along reasonably well (Green Arrow and Hawkman being, for a time. the exception), there are very few close friendships portrayed in comics. The friendship between Pieter Cross and Michael Holt was unusual. But, once Pieter stopped being a regular member of the JSA, that relationship ended and hardly anyone remembers it. (Hardly anyone remembers the chemistry between Pieter and Dinah, too.)
    Sandy Hausler
    DC Boards Moderator (along with The Darknight Detective (who has a much cooler name that I do))
    THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

  9. #9
    Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    San Jose, CA USA
    Posts
    5,408

    Default

    When/where was Pieter's last appearance?
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009
    7,869

    The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

  10. #10
    Invincible Member MajorHoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    22,458

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SJNeal View Post
    When/where was Pieter's last appearance?
    There was a "Dr. Cross" that appeared in a couple of issues of Green Arrow during the New52, but he didn't seem to be blind and he never appeared as Dr. Mid-Nite.

    These two pages are from Green Arrow #35 (December 2014):


    Notice what was on the lapel of the labcoat on the second page.

    Other than that, I don't know if he's shown up in any current stories since before Flashpoint.

  11. #11
    Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    San Jose, CA USA
    Posts
    5,408

    Default

    ^ ^ ^

    Ah, yes, I do remember this scene! I finally dropped Green Arrow shortly after because it had gone downhill so far (and the New 52 series wasn't anywhere near the top of the hill to begin with).

    I'll have to see if I can find Mid-Nite's final pre-Flashpoint appearance. It's gonna bug me now.
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009
    7,869

    The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

  12. #12
    Invincible Member MajorHoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    22,458

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SJNeal View Post
    . . . I'll have to see if I can find Mid-Nite's final pre-Flashpoint appearance. It's gonna bug me now.
    I'm guessing that would be in Justice Society of America #54
    The last issue of that series
    .


  13. #13
    Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    San Jose, CA USA
    Posts
    5,408

    Default

    Ahhh... the Guggenheim run.

    A traumatic event I've mostly blocked from my memory.
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009
    7,869

    The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

  14. #14
    Boisterously Confused
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    7,974

    Default

    One thing I liked about Cross over McNider, was his broader use of technology (which would make sense for a guy with very limited powers). Simple things, like equipping his owl with a camera.

  15. #15
    Invincible Member MajorHoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    22,458

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    One thing I liked about Cross over McNider, was his broader use of technology (which would make sense for a guy with very limited powers). Simple things, like equipping his owl with a camera.
    That may also be a function of when the characters were active.
    21st century technology is very different from the what was available towards the mid-20th Century.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •