Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Nik Hasta View Post
    I'd go further, The Boys (the show) is pretty good and is leagues better than the comic.
    The Boys comic book reads like a story written by a 13 year old who really wants to prove how 'adult' and 'mature' they are by filling it with sex, gore, and profanity. Kind of like... well... pretty much anything written by Mark Millar that isn't for DC or Marvel.
    Last edited by The Dog; 05-04-2021 at 01:27 AM.
    Critics who treat adult as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence.
    - C.S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by The Dog View Post
    The Boys comic book reads like a story written by a 13 year old who really wants to prove how 'adult' and 'mature' they are by filling it with sex, gore, and profanity. Kind of like... well... pretty much anything written by Mark Millar that isn't for DC or Marvel.
    The Boys is by Garth Ennis, not Mark Millar.

I mean I’m fine with blaming Millar for the bad stuff he’s done, and there’s plenty of that, but blaming him for Ennis’ bad stuff seems a little unwarranted.

Quote Originally Posted by Beadle View Post
    The Boys is by Garth Ennis, not Mark Millar.

I mean I’m fine with blaming Millar for the bad stuff he’s done, and there’s plenty of that, but blaming him for Ennis’ bad stuff seems a little unwarranted.
    Oh, I know. I was using Mark Millar as an example of another writer who tends to write like that. Should have been more clear on that.
    Critics who treat adult as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence.
    - C.S. Lewis

Rumbles Limbo Champion big_adventure's Avatar

Speaking as someone who still puts themselves through CW DC shows, that’s a bit like saying “Drink this - I’m not saying it’s nice, but it’s better than a bucket of sick.”
    Yeah, that's true enough. I was still putting myself through most CW stuff until covid threw everything off. Some of the manufactured conflict and the massive PIS on constant display in those shows makes it hard to get back into it now, plus the general amount of simply better options available means I just don't have the bandwidth to suffer.

I do think that, through the first 4 episodes (all I've seen), Superman and Lois was pretty enjoyable. Obviously the PIS-wagon is going to get hitched on, but that's the downside of heroes having massive superspeed - either every villain has the same (meaning it's... normal speed) or the hero has to forget to use it 99.9% of the time.
    "But... But I want to be a big karate cyborg... ;_;" - Nik Hasta
    "Get off my lawn! ...on this forum, that just makes people think of Cyclops." - Sharpandpointies
    "...makes me think the Night King just says "Screw the rules, I have magic money" when it comes to physics." -Captain Morgan

I’ve no idea about Superman & Lois yet. It hasn’t hit the UK so far, AFAIK.

Extraordinary Member

I’ve no idea about Superman & Lois yet. It hasn’t hit the UK so far, AFAIK.
    I've seen the first five episode available on HBO Nordic and so far I'm really enjoying it.

There is indeed some PIS related to his speed, but it's never been so bad that it's really annoyed me.

It's certainly no Flash having to defeat Captain Cold and Heatwave by tricking them into clashing with their respective elemental beams instead of just punching them.

Quote Originally Posted by big_adventure View Post
    but repeatedly, voluntarily staying away from your young children for extended periods of time because you crave fighting so much is definite bad-dad zone.
    This is false as I've already pointed out, he was dead. Those are literally the only times he has been away in canon save him learning the insanely useful instant transmission while recovering from his fight with Frieza. DBS routinely showed him being involved.
    Saint Seiya Online:
    https://reborngn.com/?page=register&ref=408192
    ^-my referral

Rumbles Limbo Champion big_adventure's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cody View Post
    This is false as I've already pointed out, he was dead. Those are literally the only times he has been away in canon save him learning the insanely useful instant transmission while recovering from his fight with Frieza. DBS routinely showed him being involved.
    It is not false. When dead, he voluntarily stayed away from his family so he could train elsewhere. He refused to come back. And saying "I stayed away from home for years for personal growth" (like with the Yardrats) doesn't make him a bad person, but it DOES make him a pretty lousy father.

He has also spent the vast majority of the time in Super on the other side of the universe training with Beerus and Whis (and Vegeta). Voluntarily.

To make this crystal clear: I'm in no way saying that Goku is a bad person - he's not. I'm not saying that he doesn't love his kids - he does. He's just not a good father, by any recognizable standard.
    "But... But I want to be a big karate cyborg... ;_;" - Nik Hasta
    "Get off my lawn! ...on this forum, that just makes people think of Cyclops." - Sharpandpointies
    "...makes me think the Night King just says "Screw the rules, I have magic money" when it comes to physics." -Captain Morgan

Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu_of_R'lyeh View Post
    I mean be careful, my guy. He's gonna say you're insulting him!
    You can't say this dude. I have taken what yoy and Nik have said as insulting a lot of the times as well, you can't always properly project your intent with test based conversations, what you may see as benign, may be taken as the extreme opposite by another depending on how they interpret what you have wrote. Can't just push it off and mock someone when they fail to understand your intent behind typed words.
    Saint Seiya Online:
    ^-my referral

Quote Originally Posted by big_adventure View Post
    It is not false. When dead, he voluntarily stayed away from his family so he could train elsewhere. He refused to come back. And saying "I stayed away from home for years for personal growth" (like with the Yardrats) doesn't make him a bad person, but it DOES make him a pretty lousy father.
    That wasn't his intent, as already mentioned, the motivation behind his decision was based off of the recent enemies that they encountered that arrived to earth specifically to come at Goku.

He has also spent the vast majority of the time in Super on the other side of the universe training with Beerus and Whis (and Vegeta). Voluntarily.
    Half the time he was working and/or going on picnics with his family so this isn't accurate either..

To make this crystal clear: I'm in no way saying that Goku is a bad person - he's not. I'm not saying that he doesn't love his kids - he does. He's just not a good father, by any recognizable standard.
    And I am not saying he was a great or even good father. It's just that your reasoning for this contradicts what was stated in the show(staying dead to prevent old enemies from coming for him), and seen(we see Goku spending time with his family when not training in DBS).

If he never outright abandoned his family for no good reason(being dead to prevent old enemies from looking for him is a good reason), and treats them with love and affection when he is around, and provides a living for them, then he I fail to see how he is even a "bad" parent.
    Saint Seiya Online:
    ^-my referral

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

You can't say this dude. I have taken what yoy and Nik have said as insulting a lot of the times as well, you can't always properly project your intent with test based conversations, what you may see as benign, may be taken as the extreme opposite by another depending on how they interpret what you have wrote. Can't just push it off and mock someone when they fail to understand your intent behind typed words.
    Chiming in with Cody, here. Things got a little heated, emotions were clearly running high, but let's not add fuel to the fire.
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpandpointies View Post
    Chiming in with Cody, here. Things got a little heated, emotions were clearly running high, but let's not add fuel to the fire.
    I mean it had been well moved past by me, until Cody dredged it up, so who's fueling the fire? And to be blunt, and brief, the only one who got emotional was the one who took their argument being picked apart, as an insult.

Which isn't exactly my problem.
    Yeah, but if you... man, we're getting into weird analogy territory, like if you disintegrated Superman's arms he wouldn't be able to go "fool! Little did you know that my arms and I are one and can be remade from me!" and will his arms back into being from pure nothingness. - Pendaran

Arx Inosaan

Legendary God of Pirates Nik Hasta's Avatar

I literally have not said anything insulting to you or anyone else in this thread. Honestly neither has Cthulhu, he said that Shellhead's argument was bad, that's not an insult.

But I do appreciate the apparent dedication that has you pulling someone up on a snide comment that was made multiple pages ago when the discussion has clearly moved on.

Horrible father candidate.

Eli Bavarius ( Super Daryl Deluxe video game)

Spoilers

spoilers:
    If you get all gems in the game you can enter the lost hallway and reading Eli's diary. In his diary, he states produce 100 children and that he's looking for the perfect heir and superweapon for his new world order. stated that he controls every aspect of his children's lifestyles. Seeing his children as experiments.

Stated in his diary that he purge over 300 of his children because he saw them as failed experiments. until he finally finds the perfect test subject for his perfect superhuman weapon and removes her from her siblings. this subject is the princess who in the game becomes increasingly more deranged as the game progress.

When Daryl beats the Princess in the game, Eil doesn't care that his daughter is dying and considers her a failed experiment.
    end of spoilers
    My Forum check it out

Bruceleegreyhulk's RPG & Story Forum

Characters: Cyber Samurai, Wilima Stonewall, Red Oni, Jaakobah , Giduiz Mazi, Midas Goldsteel

I mean it had been well moved past by me, until Cody dredged it up, so who's fueling the fire?
    But I do appreciate the apparent dedication that has you pulling someone up on a snide comment that was made multiple pages ago when the discussion has clearly moved on.
    With all due respect, do you guys have your settings set to show the least amount of posts on a page or something? From the POV of one who has his settings set to show the maximum amount of posts per page, your exchanges were just a single page ago. This entire topic only has 3 pages for me.

This is disregarding the dates of the posts were a day ago, so this isn't someone dredging up ancient history either.

And to be blunt, and brief, the only one who got emotional was the one who took their argument being picked apart, as an insult.

Which isn't exactly my problem.
    Or you could just say "sorry you took it that way, but my intent was not to insult you", or simply not mock them for misunderstanding you?

I literally have not said anything insulting to you
    I'm sorry? I never said you insulted me at all in this thread specifically. I was referring to past convos where I incorrectly misinterpreted the meaning behind what you typed as being condescending when that was actually not your intent.

or anyone else in this thread. Honestly neither has Cthulhu, he said that Shellhead's argument was bad, that's not an insult.
    And you think him mocking Shellhead for the misunderstanding as not insulting and belittling?
    Last edited by Cody; 05-04-2021 at 12:07 PM.
    Saint Seiya Online:
    ^-my referral