Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Default Who is a worst father, David Cain or Omni-Man?

Who is a worst father, David Cain or Omni-Man?

Legendary God of Pirates Nik Hasta's Avatar

In the context of just the TV show, Nolan is probably worse because he wanted to enslave the planet and casually murdered innocent people to prove a point.

In the context of the comic, spoilers:
    Nolan gets solidly rehabilitated and reconnects with his family
    end of spoilers so Cain would be worse as he remains a **** dad.

Friendship's Shockwave BitVyper's Avatar

I mean they're both past the moral event horizon for different reasons, but as far as I can tell, for most of his son's childhood Nolan was just a typically vaguely shitty suburban dad whereas Cain was actively working to turn Cass into a living weapon by doing things like not teaching her language (which to be clear would take a good chunk of effort and abuse just to prevent) and throwing her into massively traumatic experiences very early in her development. One of the kids got to play baseball, the other had to kill a man and watch him die closely enough to have gained an intimate understanding of death.

Still can't beat the grandmaster of terrible fathers, Genma Saotome, though.
    I am a mighty wizard from magic lands

Son Goku is usually my go-to answer to that question but to give an anwser to the OP's question, Cain is just so creepy.

But kudos for mentioning Genma Saotome. Warms my heart to see an another Ranma 1/2 fan.

Quote Originally Posted by BitVyper View Post
    I mean they're both past the moral event horizon for different reasons, but as far as I can tell, for most of his son's childhood Nolan was just a typically vaguely shitty suburban dad whereas Cain was actively working to turn Cass into a living weapon by doing things like not teaching her language (which to be clear would take a good chunk of effort and abuse just to prevent) and throwing her into massively traumatic experiences very early in her development. One of the kids got to play baseball, the other had to kill a man and watch him die closely enough to have gained an intimate understanding of death.

Nah, Gendo Ikari still holds the crown over Genma. It takes a special kind of ******* to make your own son mutilate his best friend or would-be girlfriend (depending on the continuity), or take advantage of his worsening neuroses to drive him into becoming a broken nihilistic mess that would destroy the world, just so he could bang his dead wife.
    Ichigo: What even *are* you?!

Kenpachi: Some say my mother was a train. Some say that I'm a rejected Godzilla monster too strong for the series canon. But everyone says: I'M THE KEEEEENPACHIIIIII!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Starter Set View Post
    Son Goku is usually my go-to answer to that question but to give an anwser to the OP's question, Cain is just so creepy.

But kudos for mentioning Genma Saotome. Warms my heart to see an another Ranma 1/2 fan.
    Goku is neither a great or bad Father, he is okay by virtue of being there when not dead, and treating his kids well. Compared to anyone who had an abusive father? He is FAR superior in pretty much everyway.

To the OP:
    Nolan is going to share the same story as his comic counterpart, as such it is hard to put too much blame on him, as his actions are based on the community he was born in raised in. It isn't easy to get out of that mindset for most people irl born into a morally questionable society Nolan had spent thousands, if not millions of years being taught the Viltrumite way of life. Not easy to just shred that type of thinking off.

Still hope he isn't as easily forgiven by Mark like he was in the comics though...i may get why, but holding your kid up as you use him as a battering ram through a whole bunch of people on a train so he gets a good look at their bodies being turned to mush(something that didn't happen in the comic iirc)shouldn't be something that is easily forgotten or forgiven irregardless of the circumstances.

David is just a psychopath. Plain and simple.
    Saint Seiya Online:
    https://reborngn.com/?page=register&ref=408192
    ^-my referral

Quote Originally Posted by Cody View Post
    Goku is neither a great or bad Father, he is okay by virtue of being there when not dead, and treating his kids well. Compared to anyone who had an abusive father? He is FAR superior in pretty much everyway.
    The "Goku is a terrible dad" meme/joke died a decade ago and people should just move on from it.

Kenpachi: Some say my mother was a train. Some say that I'm a rejected Godzilla monster too strong for the series canon. But everyone says: I'M THE KEEEEENPACHIIIIII!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by BitVyper View Post

Man If Rick Sanchez was in DC comics. He'll call David Cain an idiot then point out how not teaching his daughter language to make her into a living weapon is stupid.
    My Forum check it out

Bruceleegreyhulk's RPG & Story Forum

Characters: Cyber Samurai, Wilima Stonewall, Red Oni, Jaakobah , Giduiz Mazi, Midas Goldsteel

Gambit: Gambit see your bet and raise it, because the cards always be in my favor.

Quote Originally Posted by Len Ikari145 View Post
    The "Goku is a terrible dad" meme/joke died a decade ago and people should just move on from it.
    Agreed, and it never made much sense to me. It somewhat fit for ZGT Goku, due to him ghosting his family for a decade, but even then that was incredibly inconsistent, since that version of Goku was portrayed as an actual family man. There is zero indication however that even canon Goku would ghost his family for no reason for that long, especially after telling his friends and family he planned on keeping contact.

DBS showed that he is indeed involved with his kids and wife, so him being this terrible sad is quite an exaggeration.
    Last edited by Cody; 05-01-2021 at 02:15 PM.
    Saint Seiya Online:
    https://reborngn.com/?page=register&ref=408192
    ^-my referral

Guy And Chou's RPG Site
    Rumbles Moderator

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

You know who's a bad anime father, Shou Tucker. This guy really deserved to get his head beat in by Edward in both animes.
    My Forum check it out

Bruceleegreyhulk's RPG & Story Forum

Characters: Cyber Samurai, Wilima Stonewall, Red Oni, Jaakobah , Giduiz Mazi, Midas Goldsteel

Gambit: Gambit see your bet and raise it, because the cards always be in my favor.

Quote Originally Posted by bruceleegreyhulk View Post
    You know who's a bad anime father, Shou Tucker. This guy really deserved to get his head beat in by Edward in both animes.
    It says something when the author goes out of her way to specifically illustrate the guy burning in Hell for his misdeeds compared to the other villains of the series.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Cody View Post

To the OP:
    Nolan is going to share the same story as his comic counterpart, as such it is hard to put too much blame on him, as his actions are based on the community he was born in raised in. It isn't easy to get out of that mindset for most people irl born into a morally questionable society Nolan had spent thousands, if not millions of years being taught the Viltrumite way of life. Not easy to just shred that type of thinking off.

Still hope he isn't as easily forgiven by Mark like he was in the comics though...i may get why, but holding your kid up as you use him as a battering ram through a whole bunch of people on a train so he gets a good look at their bodies being turned to mush(something that didn't happen in the comic iirc)shouldn't be something that is easily forgotten or forgiven irregardless of the circumstances.

David is just a psychopath. Plain and simple.
    I watched Linkara's video series on Cassandra Cain. He remarked on one issue where David was talking with a guy who had first developed the theory behind the whole "not teaching language to turn a child into a weapon" thing. When the guy noted that ethically there was no way to test the theory, David smiled.

That says it all.

David piled it all on from earlier on from what I know.

Whereas Omniman basically gave Mark a normal childhood which allowed him to be more his own person. Cass was set up to fail.
    “The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
    -Stephen McCranie

Quote Originally Posted by Postmania View Post
    David piled it all on from earlier on from what I know.

Whereas Omniman basically gave Mark a normal childhood which allowed him to be more his own person. Cass was set up to fail.
    It gets even worse for David. Semantic nitpick, but Cassandra was his only success.

In the Post-Crisis continuity, she had an older stepbrother of sorts: