Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member Captain Morgan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by grampagen View Post
    It gets even worse for David. Semantic nitpick, but Cassandra was his only success.

In the Post-Crisis continuity, she had an older stepbrother of sorts:

And the Mad Dog killed the rest of their "siblings."

Quote Originally Posted by grampagen View Post
    It gets even worse for David. Semantic nitpick, but Cassandra was his only success.

In the Post-Crisis continuity, she had an older stepbrother of sorts:

Cass: "...Really starting to question why I got him that Father's Day Present."
    Guy And Chou's RPG Site
    Rumbles Moderator

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

Quote Originally Posted by Len Ikari145 View Post
    The "Goku is a terrible dad" meme/joke died a decade ago and people should just move on from it.
    It's not a meme, just plain fact. The guy is a horrible father. (and borderline a horrible person period in Super)

Legendary God of Pirates Nik Hasta's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Starter Set View Post
    It's not a meme, just plain fact. The guy is a horrible father. (and borderline a horrible person period in Super)

It's quite the take to look at Goku, whose biggest crime against his kids is being a bit inattentive/dead but ultimately is a generally good person, and then look at Nolan who made a solid attempt at literally beating his son to death while announcing his intention to take over the planet and murdering thousands of people just to prove a point, and say "yes, Goku is in the same moral area as this,"

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

Being fair to Cain (I mean, who cares, but in the interest of facts), his other 'children' weren't his children. They were kids he procured for his experiment. Which...makes him even worse of a human being (edit: or not, just more of the same), but has no impact on him as a father.

That's all on his treatment of Cass. Which was absolutely appalling and guarantees him a place on the 'Worst Fathers Ever' podium. He'd probably agree, and try to blow up the podium and everyone on it, himself included.
    Last edited by Sharpandpointies; 05-02-2021 at 07:22 AM.
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

I’m going to give a shout out to Daimon and Ana Helstrom’s dad, Marduk.

Granted, he’s an actual demon, but still.

Honourable mentions also to Trigon (while looking FABulous!), Darkseid, Thanos and Magus, the dad of Warlock from the New Mutants.

(Also, it’s really annoying that Marvel have Warlock and Adam Warlock, and BOTH have a counterpart called Magus.)

...on a similar topic, Shiva was just as shitty a mother as Cain was a father, if not worse.
    Why are we here?

"...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpandpointies View Post
    ...on a similar topic, Shiva was just as shitty a mother as Cain was a father, if not worse.
    Similarly, it’s no wonder Graydon Creed turned into a complete craphole piece of human detritus when you factor in his parents were Sabretooth and Mystique, not that either really did any parenting.

Quote Originally Posted by Beadle View Post
    Similarly, it’s no wonder Graydon Creed turned into a complete craphole piece of human detritus when you factor in his parents were Sabretooth and Mystique, not that either really did any parenting.
    That Cass turned out as she did is a credit to her character....

Maybe Graydon got to use the jet pack at least?
    Why are we here?

Rumbles Limbo Champion big_adventure's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nik Hasta View Post

It's quite the take to look at Goku, whose biggest crime against his kids is being a bit inattentive/dead but ultimately is a generally good person, and then look at Nolan who made a solid attempt at literally beating his son to death while announcing his intention to take over the planet and murdering thousands of people just to prove a point, and say "yes, Goku is in the same moral area as this,"
    I'm firmly on the "Goku is a pretty bad father" bandwagon. See: the Cell saga, as example 1, but repeatedly, voluntarily staying away from your young children for extended periods of time because you crave fighting so much is definite bad-dad zone.

However... compared to Nolan, Goku deserves a Nobel Prize for Parenting. Outside of the Cell saga, which was really an unconscious, honest mistake rather than any sort of malignant decision-making (Goku really believed that Gohan would cherish fighting and getting stronger as much as Goku himself does), Goku is just a charming idiot who doesn't realize that he's in such a no-fly zone for good dadding.

Nolan, after his son clearly presents to what level he's simply not OK with his dad's decision to go all takey-over, kills thousands of people just to show how people don't mean anything to him. And he kills a bunch of them with his son's body. That's some horrific stuff.

The only thing that makes Nolan somewhat less odious than Cain is that Nolan is a many-thousands-of-years-old elite soldier from a brutal Frieza-level galactic empire. He's been born into and trained by that society, a society that annihilated half its own population to cull the weak and the dissenters. Him being that kind of... being, with those kinds of morals is natural, and, if certainly not excusable, at least understandable. Cain doesn't have even that: he was born into a society that is horrified by everything he does and everything he stands for. And he goes out of his way to make it worse, pretty much whenever he can.
    "But... But I want to be a big karate cyborg... ;_;" - Nik Hasta
    "Get off my lawn! ...on this forum, that just makes people think of Cyclops." - Sharpandpointies
    "...makes me think the Night King just says "Screw the rules, I have magic money" when it comes to physics." -Captain Morgan

It occurs to me that Furnace Face is a father.

Now I really want to know what kind of father the Dorm was to Doyle.
    Why are we here?

Extraordinary Member The Drunkard Kid's Avatar

I mean, Gemma Saotome is definitely the worst father in Ranma 1/2, but I'd argue that Ryuunosuke Fujinami's unnamed father from Urusei Yatsura and Sabato Rokudo from Rinn-e were arguably worse. Naraku too, if you consider his detachments to be his children.

Quote Originally Posted by The Drunkard Kid View Post
    I mean, Gemma Saotome is definitely the worst father in Ranma 1/2, but I'd argue that Ryuunosuke Fujinami's unnamed father from Urusei Yatsura and Sabato Rokudo from Rinn-e were arguably worse. Naraku too, if you consider his detachments to be his children.
    There are worse fathers.

Nana's Everyday Life springs to mind. ;_;
    Why are we here?

Extraordinary Member The Drunkard Kid's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by big_adventure View Post
    I'm firmly on the "Goku is a pretty bad father" bandwagon. See: the Cell saga, as example 1, but repeatedly, voluntarily staying away from your young children for extended periods of time because you crave fighting so much is definite bad-dad zone.

However... compared to Nolan, Goku deserves a Nobel Prize for Parenting. Outside of the Cell saga, which was really an unconscious, honest mistake rather than any sort of malignant decision-making (Goku really believed that Gohan would cherish fighting and getting stronger as much as Goku himself does), Goku is just a charming idiot who doesn't realize that he's in such a no-fly zone for good dadding.
    In the Cell fight, he had explicitly and deliberately altered his mind set to think of Gohan as a martial artist rather than a son for almost an entire (subjective) year beforehand because otherwise he would have held back on his training and they would all would have died to Cell. The moment that he realized that Gohan was acting as his son rather than as a fellow martial artist, he instantly snapped back to dad mode. It's basically exactly what happened between Piccolo and Gohan during the Saiyajin Saga.

Rumbles Limbo Champion big_adventure's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Drunkard Kid View Post
    In the Cell fight, he had explicitly and deliberately altered his mind set to think of Gohan as a martial artist rather than a son for almost an entire (subjective) year beforehand because otherwise he would have held back on his training and they would all would have died to Cell. The moment that he realized that Gohan was acting as his son rather than as a fellow martial artist, he instantly snapped back to dad mode. It's basically exactly what happened between Piccolo and Gohan during the Saiyajin Saga.
    I completely understand what was presented. It's just that literally everyone except Goku knew damn well that Gohan didn't want to be there. Beyond that, and this one is really, truly critical, Goku gave Cell a freaking senzu. Whereupon the re-energized Cell proceeded to kick the absolute hell out of Gohan for an extended period of time, and would have killed him were it not for third-party intervention. If Goku had just let the drained Cell fight his completely-unwilling-to-fight son, Earth would have been safe, King Kai's planet wouldn't have been asploded, Goku wouldn't have died (again), ad nauseum. That makes him a pretty crappy father, period. Outside of that, he's just pretty incompetent, but not outright awful.

Also, Piccolo, for all of him taking care of Gohan and being a father figure to him, was not his father.
    "But... But I want to be a big karate cyborg... ;_;" - Nik Hasta
    "Get off my lawn! ...on this forum, that just makes people think of Cyclops." - Sharpandpointies
    "...makes me think the Night King just says "Screw the rules, I have magic money" when it comes to physics." -Captain Morgan