Fantastic Member

Default Wise as Athena meaning

Wonder Woman is described to be wise as Athena

Does that mean Diana is Athena's equal as a battle strategist/tactician and making wise decisions and choices?

Yeah, that's how I always saw it as.

Although, after her new origin that sort of got short-changed because they made it so all her powers came from her lineage with Zeus. But then Rebirth made it so all the gods gave her various gifts, but it still feels like the comics focus on her father being Zeus as her primary power set.

So now, IDK if that "wise as Athena" description is literal or just use to mean she is very wise.

General intelligence like what “Wisdom of Solomon” is for Captain Marvel is how I took it.

Wise as Athena to me means exactly that, Diana has and is equal to Athena in wisdom. Athena has been said to be as wise as 10,000 scholars so I would imagine Diana's intellect to be very high.

Athena is more then just wisdom and warfare, she's associated with a ton of stuff; law, justice, civilization, medicine, crafts, mathematics, science etc... So I think Diana would be an expert in all those fields.

I.E. Diana would be an expert practitioner/have a natural affinity in these fields:

- Nurse
    - Lawyer
    - General
    - Mathematician
    - Leader/Queen
    - Ambassador
    - City Planner
    - Professor of ancient laws/rituals/traditions/customs

I also think think she should have a general knowledge of magic and the magic world being a member of JL: Dark.
    Also encyclopedic knowledge of plants and animals and monsters; earthly, magical, and some alien (Mainly due to her blessing of unity with nature from Artemis)
    Zaldrīzes Buzdari Iksos Daor

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by masterwitcher88 View Post
    Wise as Athena to me means exactly that, Diana has and is equal to Athena in wisdom. Athena has been said to be as wise as 10,000 scholars so I would imagine Diana's intellect to be very high.

Athena is more then just wisdom and warfare, she's associated with a ton of stuff; law, justice, civilization, medicine, crafts, mathematics, science etc... So I think Diana would be an expert in all those fields.

I.E. Diana would be an expert practitioner/have a natural affinity in these fields:

- Nurse
    - Lawyer
    - General
    - Mathematician
    - Leader/Queen
    - Ambassador
    - City Planner
    - Professor of ancient laws/rituals/traditions/customs

I also think think she should have a general knowledge of magic and the magic world being a member of JL: Dark.
    Also encyclopedic knowledge of plants and animals and monsters; earthly, magical, and some alien (Mainly due to her blessing of unity with nature from Artemis)
    That's some fascinating information.

I know that Diana was blessed by Athena when she was born in her 1987 reboot.

In the Golden Age, did Athena trained or educate Diana to equal her wisdom or was it Queen Hippolyta?

Quote Originally Posted by Zahina View Post

In the Golden Age, did Athena trained or educate Diana to equal her wisdom or was it Queen Hippolyta?
    In the golden age multiple teachers for Diana were mentioned with all of them being Amazons. Though its implied that Athena shared her knowledge with the Amazons (the way its worded im assuming through rote learning?) so im guessing it was simply passed on

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

I miss when she had the grey eyes that she received from Athena

Quote Originally Posted by Zahina View Post

I love the idea of Athena training Diana while she's on the island. Like Diana learns from her original teachers but also a Goddess of Wisdom and Warfare. Nu52 had Ares but why have him when you can have Athena.

Quote Originally Posted by Primal Slayer View Post
    I miss when she had the grey eyes that she received from Athena
    I miss it too, it was a sweet look and a great upgrade that allowed her to see with new senses. She could literally see through reality warping and mind control.

Spectacular Member

So basically ww is a genius.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    General intelligence like what “Wisdom of Solomon” is for Captain Marvel is how I took it.
    More or less this. It's her least represented attribute as Warrior Woman has taken over.

I always took it as she is intelligent, makes good decisions and overall has a solid intuition about people and their characters; she doesn't get bamboozled often and isn't as naive as Superman can be at times or so cynical as Batman. She's going to see the truth of things far sooner than either of them.

But you put a sword in her hand and every problem looks like a nail for her new hammer, so to speak.

That said, if she must be Zues's child, I think it'd be rad if Athena descended to Themyscira to be a teacher to her half-sister.