Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Witch View Post
    I disagree simply because of department of truth. That book is all the crazy right wing conspiracy stuff so tynion is clearly aware of the counterpoint. I think d.c. Has it's liberal bias and stuff and with one of the big three you have to just go along with that. It's probably easier and safer to just echo those sentiments or pretend you're 100 percent a part of that. If department of truth didn't exist I'd agree. Unless of course he's being intellectually dishonest by taking the piss with DOT, which to me doesn't feel the case.

I think it's probably a bit of column b and column a...
    I wouldn't say Department of Truth is a right wing talking point. The whole conceit of that book is reality is malleable. So exploring what happened when people believe the most far out ideas and when they become real is all in the package. And in his newsletters he describes himself as liberal leaning.

I disagree simply because of department of truth. That book is all the crazy right wing conspiracy stuff so tynion is clearly aware of the counterpoint.
    Presenting the ostensible opposing side as a bunch of conspiracy theories doesn't sound like giving a balanced, fair view. That doesn't mean Tynion can't do it, but that doesn't seem like a good example.
    Mega fan of: Helena Bertinelli (pre-52), Batwoman, Birds of Prey, Guardians of the Galaxy, Secret Six
    Fan of: Batman, Cassandra Cain, Wonder Woman, Silk, Stephanie Brown, Captain America, Hellcat, Renee Montoya, Gotham Central, King Shark
    Quasi-Fan of: Aquaman, Midnighter, Superman, Catwoman, Nightwing, Green Arrow, Squadron Supreme, Red Hood

Other likes: Low, Hush, Arkham Asylum: ASHoSE, Watchmen, A-Force, Bombshells, Grayson, Unfollow

Team Cap (both Rogers and Danvers)

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Caivu View Post
    Presenting the ostensible opposing side as a bunch of conspiracy theories doesn't sound like giving a balanced, fair view. That doesn't mean Tynion can't do it, but that doesn't seem like a good example.
    Thank you. While I haven't read Department of Truth (except the solicits), I would hope Tynion's knowledge of opposing viewpoints isn't limited to the conspiracy theories in that book, many of which I wouldn't even describe as either right-wing or left-wing. The counterpoint to Molly's contention that "[most of] the rich are no longer people*" is not that the Earth is flat. The counterpoint to "let's erase the memories of my previous life because those memories gave me bad feelings" is not that the Warren Commission lied about JFK**. The counterpoint to technology being the solution to our problems is not that crisis actors exist. Now, let me say that I thought Molly brought up some interesting points and philosophies while she was talking to Bruce, but she also lobbed up some softballs that Bruce should've batted out of the ballpark, too, if it were an evenly written conversation.

* This doesn't even address the fact that rich people and the wealthy corporations in this country are arguably more identifiably left-wing or liberal nowadays, anyways

** I happen to believe this conspiracy theory, though :-)

Incredible Member

Let me say also that I thought this was Tynion's best issue since Infinite Frontier started. I like Miracle Molly and I give the issue a 7/10.

But I would've given it an even higher grade if Bruce were written better and was able to respond competently.

Extraordinary Member

Batman #108 broke 200k in sales per Tynion's latest newsletter.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Hypo View Post
    Batman #108 broke 200k in sales per Tynion's latest newsletter.
    Specs much? Snyder's first Batman issue in the new 52 sold about 188k. I guess having many different covers for the new character can drive up the number of orders from spec market.
    Last edited by prepmaster; 05-05-2021 at 11:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by hairys View Post
    Not at all. A good writer, and more generally -- anyone with intellectual honesty -- should seek to be able to argue both sides of a debate well. Everyone can have opinions about anything, but they should learn and be able to articulate the opposing counterpoints. Especially with regards to any debate that's been around for centuries. With Tynion, you get the sense that he (and many of his colleagues) live in echo chambers.
    Thats the thing, Tynion is not interested in doing some debate here, he just wants to "fix" Batman so arguments that he uses, in his mind, are true and impossible to argue against.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    Thats the thing, Tynion is not interested in doing some debate here, he just wants to "fix" Batman so arguments that he uses, in his mind, are true and impossible to argue against.
    Yes, I agree that Tynion is most likely operating from an echo chamber, as explained above.

This whole conversation makes me want to dig out my old back issues where Batman faced off against Anarky. I'm wondering if Alan Grant wrote Batman jobbing to Anarky in conversation/debate. I'm guessing not since I tend to remember those issues somewhat fondly.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by hairys View Post
    lol. All i gotta say is we would never get along in real life.

But on an internet forum, we can politely disagree, which we can do here. Agree to disagree. By not having Bruce respond to Molly intelligently, including pointing out both his agreements and disagreements with her (even beyond the Unsanity Collective's methods), Tynion botched the scene and wrote Bruce horribly.
    That kind of extreme? You don't even know me to say that.

Word...as soon as I hear the word privilege (I'm native btw) I cringe.
    The concept of privilege is real though. I'm not sure what's cringey about referencing/noting it, in or outside of fiction.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

It's a real sad state of affairs when Batman is the weakest bat title out there.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    It's a real sad state of affairs when Batman is the weakest bat title out there.
    In terms of what ? I’m sure DC is happy

Quote Originally Posted by prepmaster View Post
    Specs much? Snyder's first Batman issue in the new 52 sold about 188k. I guess having many different covers for the new character can drive up the number of orders from spec market.
    New character speculation is super high right now, it's unreal.
    Pulls: Batman, Detective Comics, SiKtC, Catwoman, Nightwing, Titans, Godzilla, Wonder Woman, Batman & Robin, Brave and the Bold, No/One, Kill your Darlings, and Deviant.
    My runs: Batman #230-, and Detective #420-

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rac7d* View Post
    In terms of what ? I’m sure DC is happy
    Yeah, most critics seem to enjoy the title still and the book is still very high on the charts. DC would have kicked Tynion to the curb fast if he was really doing as bad as some people on here want you to believe.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    Yeah, most critics seem to enjoy the title still and the book is still very high on the charts. DC would have kicked Tynion to the curb fast if he was really doing as bad as some people on here want you to believe.
    Everyone has their own preferences, and sales can't be argued against but for my money Detective Comics, Nightwing, Robin, Batman: Detective and even Urban Legends have much more interesting, compelling and well written stories than what we've gotten from Tynion so far.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    King stayed for 85 issues. Tynion is safe.

However the Magistrate is crap and Tynion is not the writer to build them up. Mainline Batbook wastes 6 issues arc just to show how the Magistrate is formed. Other villains own 6 issues arc.