Extraordinary Member

Default Jim Zub on getting fired from Birds of Prey before the first issue came out

Extraordinary Member

Yikes. Sounds crushing and scary to be fired from your first Big Two title before the first issue was even published. I remember how some things from the New 52 BoP were forever left unanswered like the story of Poison Ivy's biosuit (it used to have powers of its own in the initial BoP issues) and how she got it. After Zub was fired and his replacement didn't bother picking up the thread, Ivy's New 52 black bodysuit just became another plain old costume.

Jeez, that sucks for Jim Zub. I know DC Editorial can be pretty difficult but that sounds like a new low for them.

It's this type of stuff that needs to change in the comic book industry. To use a wrestling term, the back-stage politicking that goes on has done so much to hurt the industry. Like how many Jim Zub's have there been?

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

I first heard his name doing D&D comic in... 2011-12-ish? It was an adaptation for 5th edition's first story arc Tyranny of Dragons. I don't know if he's done work before that or not but the timeline checks if he's supposed to get a job from DC in 2013. There was no comic adaptation for the next story arcs.

Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar

Unfortunately as even others have stated, most notably George Perez, thus was not uncommon during that time. It seems all fingers point to higher up than just the editors so either Bib Harras or Dan Didio.
    It's a shame too as I remember interviews at that time and Jim really seemed to get the characters and had a good understanding.

Extraordinary Member

It feels like, as much as Didio’s bad rep tends to pinpoint “grudges” against particular characters or bad story decisions he supposedly influenced, his more tangible negative impact was on workplace culture, factionalism, and running off talent.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

Yeah New 52 DC was a ****show, every time people talk about that era it seems like something was going wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by garazza View Post
    It's this type of stuff that needs to change in the comic book industry. To use a wrestling term, the back-stage politicking that goes on has done so much to hurt the industry. Like how many Jim Zub's have there been?
    Well at DC it has changed, Didio and all the old guard got fired, and creators seem very fond of Javins. I’m sure things aren’t perfect but they seem to have improved.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Well at DC it has changed, Didio and all the old guard got fired, and creators seem very fond of Javins. I’m sure things aren’t perfect but they seem to have improved.
    Only time will tell. The removal of one man does not inherently change the culture.

Only time will tell. The removal of one man does not inherently change the culture.
    Are you unaware of how much the top guys have changed? Genuinely asking because this is an odd response if you are. To name just a few people who are gone:
    Diane Nelson - President of DC Entertainment
    Geoff Johns - CCO
    Bob Harras - EIC
    Doyle - Head of Black Label
    And so many more including the guy who wrote the solicits for DC! Pretty much every high ranking upper management who has been with DC is gone now. The entire top brass has changed hands.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Are you unaware of how much the top guys have changed? Genuinely asking because this is an odd response if you are. To name just a few people who are gone:
    Diane Nelson - President of DC Entertainment
    Geoff Johns - CCO
    Bob Harras - EIC
    Doyle - Head of Black Label
    And so many more including the guy who wrote the solicits for DC! Pretty much every high ranking upper management who has been with DC is gone now. The entire top brass has changed hands.
    What about the low-level perpetrators, the people who's names we don't know, the ones that maintained the status quo alongside the big names? The boys club culture has to be actively dismantled. You can drain a cyst, but it'll come back if you don't clean it out properly.

Extraordinary Member

What about the low-level perpetrators, the people who's names we don't know, the ones that maintained the status quo alongside the big names? The boys club culture has to be actively dismantled. You can drain a cyst, but it'll come back if you don't clean it out properly.
    Good editors, HR departments, and leadership *should* do the cleaning and make sure everyone’s doing their job without being a problem. The issue, of course, is when someone ends up in those positions who becomes the problem.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP