Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default If you hate xmen, why do you read it? (Curious question)

If you hate the xmen then why do you read it? I don’t mean hate the team or characters of the xmen. I mean the run, or creators, or whatever else that just rubs you the wrong way. What keeps you picking it back up and keep going?

For me, i cannot and will not do this. Even if i have a subscription to something, and i get bored, offended, roll my eyes too much, or just whatever! then i will not read it. It goes in the abyss of my collection and i will not touch it except maybe years later when i ponder if maybe my opinions will change on it. I think i must be a weirdo for doing this. For the non-weirdos, why do you keep reading and also engaging with discussion about it? What’s it like? How does it make you feel? Is there a bonus for doing this that i am not seeing?

Completionism. I want to know the story of my favorite characters, even if I don't like what's being done with them. If I really and truly hate the book, though, I'll be pirating rather than buying (only had to do it once, though).

Quote Originally Posted by Anduinel View Post
    Completionism. I want to know the story of my favorite characters, even if I don't like what's being done with them. If I really and truly hate the book, though, I'll be pirating rather than buying (only had to do it once, though).
    That’s interesting actually. I am not a completionist though i could see myself doing that with xmen eventually. Honestly, if its a run i do not like though, that will be put off for a long long time even if i bought it lol

BANNED

You are right.

This sums up my feelings as well. Well, the first part. Not into pirating but to each their own. I am somewhat OCD so I need to know what's going on with the characters I've read for years and years. If Chuck Austen couldn't make me drop a core X-Men book, nothing will. I specify core as there's been times I have not read a side book that's not core - Claremont's Exiles run after the first book ended, Young X-Men and things like that are books I've not read. I'll even read the current Excalibur run, but I"m not paying for it anymore, I'm not the most patient person but it's bad enough I can wait for it to show up on Marvel Unlimited. Ironic, Betsy Braddock/Psylocke was my favorite character and I couldn't imagine not knowing what was going on with her, but I did it before with the Exiles book, at least this time I'll just read it along with the whole MU package. No more money directly for the title.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Nash View Post
    This sums up my feelings as well. Well, the first part. Not into pirating but to each their own. I am somewhat OCD so I need to know what's going on with the characters I've read for years and years. If Chuck Austen couldn't make me drop a core X-Men book, nothing will. I specify core as there's been times I have not read a side book that's not core - Claremont's Exiles run after the first book ended, Young X-Men and things like that are books I've not read. I'll even read the current Excalibur run, but I"m not paying for it anymore, I'm not the most patient person but it's bad enough I can wait for it to show up on Marvel Unlimited. Ironic, Betsy Braddock/Psylocke was my favorite character and I couldn't imagine not knowing what was going on with her, but I did it before with the Exiles book, at least this time I'll just read it along with the whole MU package. No more money directly for the title.
    OT, but I do wonder how much Marvel tracks the reading habits of Unlimited readers. I can't imagine there are that many who actually have the time or interest to read *everything* that shows up on the service, and I wonder if there are patterns that have an impact on the current output and choice of trade collections.

While this generally doesn't apply to X-Men for me I will use my relationship with the Avengers to convey my thoughts on the question. When I was a kid my grandfather was a big comic fan and loved the Avengers. He had every single issue and taught me to read through them. When he passed away he left me his collection and I have kept it going 30 years since with having every single issue. I love the Avengers but some runs such as the current Aaron run I truly detest but I keep reading for the characters and out of the love I have for my grandad. I will keep this tradition going for the rest of my life and eventually my son will take it on. The series is more than just a comic for me.

I’d say that if there’s hard core of fans who’ll buy the books no matter what, then obviously Marvel are not going to put too much effort into catering to that demographic. Besides, they can probably be placated by tossing in some lazy nostalgia bait from time-to-time - things that remind you of your youth are comforting.

I started reading Marvel/DC comics as a kid and formed an attachment with their characters that made them feel like friends. When I got older and had the money and opportunity to get books regularly, X-Men became a must-by. When Iceman became a favorite character I would by anything with him in it just to see what he was up to. I did that with other characters too, even if I couldn't get the book monthly I would pick up an issue to see what was up with Peter Parker or how the Fantastic Four family was getting by.

It was all a part of buying into the conceit that Marvel/DC were 'biographers', telling the 'true story'; of these characters lives, and wanting to share in them. Even if I hated it, I would buy and read and complain. Then Marvell and DC finally broke me of that.

Marvel/DC did, and continue to do, too much wrong with too many characters to see that as true anymore, for me anyway. I still feel that way about the older stuff, but the current stuff of recent years I see as something like professional(or semi-professorial) fan-fiction. I don't see the current stuff as 'real' so I generally don't buy it anymore. At my peek I was probably buying about three dozen Marvel/DC comics a month, more Marvel than DC. I dropped modern-DC completely a few years back and after dropping modern-Marvel for over a year I went back to a few monthly books, none of them X-Books. I only get something now if I like the story because that's all the current books are to me, just stories.

I started off liking HoX/PoX but soured on it rather quickly. It feels like an Age of Apocalypse-alternate-type thing that keeps trying to pass itself off as the real deal. The two books I was most looking forward to: Excalibur and Marauders, I can't stand, even if they are an alternate reality.

I'll occasionally pick up an issue of something X-related out of curiosity but there is always more there to push me away than attract me to another issue. My days of buying/reading and hating and then continuing to buy/read are thankfully over.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Cane_danko View Post
    If you hate the xmen then why do you read it? I don’t mean hate the team or characters of the xmen. I mean the run, or creators, or whatever else that just rubs you the wrong way. What keeps you picking it back up and keep going?
    It reminds me of 'fans' of a football team that do nothing but criticize them and their QB and their head coach and every single pick they make or play they make. Just inexplicable to me!

But, that said, I did buy the first few issues of Youngblood, when Image came out, because I desperately wanted Rob Liefield to be super-successful at his new project, and never, ever come back to get his filthy paws on my beloved New Mutants again!

That didn't work. He came crawling back to Marvel a decade later, but at least got saddled with some Avengers I was less interested in at the time.

But generally, I skip stuff I don't want to read. Even when I get all of a crossover, for instance, like with the recent Swords event, I skipped the Cable and Wolverine books, because they aren't my cup of tea. I'll do the same during this Gala crossover.

Incredible Member

I suppose that when you come back to it, maybe years in the future, you'd have missed some characterisation, or something that remains important to some of the people involved, then you'd have to go, find the issues you missed and catch up. Personally I've not missed an X-Men issue since the 70s, and I don't think I ever will.

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    It reminds me of 'fans' of a football team that do nothing but criticize them and their QB and their head coach and every single pick they make or play they make. Just inexplicable to me!

But, that said, I did buy the first few issues of Youngblood, when Image came out, because I desperately wanted Rob Liefield to be super-successful at his new project, and never, ever come back to get his filthy paws on my beloved New Mutants again!

That didn't work. He came crawling back to Marvel a decade later, but at least got saddled with some Avengers I was less interested in at the time.

But generally, I skip stuff I don't want to read. Even when I get all of a crossover, for instance, like with the recent Swords event, I skipped the Cable and Wolverine books, because they aren't my cup of tea. I'll do the same during this Gala crossover.
    Yeah. I didn’t think of that. I guess we all do that to some extent.

In the defense of some people , The X-men now and The X-men in past are vastly different things. A bunch of people want the X-men the way it was in the past.

The only thing tho is the X-men didn't turn into something different overnight but that is a different topic

I don't hate the X-Men, I'm mostly just disappointed. I haven't read an issue immediately after picking it up since No 11 or 12.
    Does it need doing?
    Yes.
    Then it will be done.

I agree with OP. It’s even most curious when you throw in the fact that some people who dislike the books they read pirate them. So they steal something they don’t like and consume the o product. Very Curious indeed.

I admit I dislike the current run. So I simply stopped reading after HOX. any comments I have on the message board are from pictures people post or discussions brought up.
    Your favorite superhero- the one you visit these forums to talk about. Would they talk to others the way you do on this message board?