Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Default If you hate xmen, why do you read it? (Curious question)

If you hate the xmen then why do you read it? I don’t mean hate the team or characters of the xmen. I mean the run, or creators, or whatever else that just rubs you the wrong way. What keeps you picking it back up and keep going?

For me, i cannot and will not do this. Even if i have a subscription to something, and i get bored, offended, roll my eyes too much, or just whatever! then i will not read it. It goes in the abyss of my collection and i will not touch it except maybe years later when i ponder if maybe my opinions will change on it. I think i must be a weirdo for doing this. For the non-weirdos, why do you keep reading and also engaging with discussion about it? What’s it like? How does it make you feel? Is there a bonus for doing this that i am not seeing?

Completionism. I want to know the story of my favorite characters, even if I don't like what's being done with them. If I really and truly hate the book, though, I'll be pirating rather than buying (only had to do it once, though).

Quote Originally Posted by Anduinel View Post
    Completionism. I want to know the story of my favorite characters, even if I don't like what's being done with them. If I really and truly hate the book, though, I'll be pirating rather than buying (only had to do it once, though).
    That’s interesting actually. I am not a completionist though i could see myself doing that with xmen eventually. Honestly, if its a run i do not like though, that will be put off for a long long time even if i bought it lol

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Cane_danko View Post
    If you hate the xmen then why do you read it? I don’t mean hate the team or characters of the xmen. I mean the run, or creators, or whatever else that just rubs you the wrong way. What keeps you picking it back up and keep going?
    It reminds me of 'fans' of a football team that do nothing but criticize them and their QB and their head coach and every single pick they make or play they make. Just inexplicable to me!

But, that said, I did buy the first few issues of Youngblood, when Image came out, because I desperately wanted Rob Liefield to be super-successful at his new project, and never, ever come back to get his filthy paws on my beloved New Mutants again!

That didn't work. He came crawling back to Marvel a decade later, but at least got saddled with some Avengers I was less interested in at the time.

But generally, I skip stuff I don't want to read. Even when I get all of a crossover, for instance, like with the recent Swords event, I skipped the Cable and Wolverine books, because they aren't my cup of tea. I'll do the same during this Gala crossover.

Extraordinary Member From The Shadows's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cane_danko View Post

For me, i cannot and will not do this. Even if i have a subscription to something, and i get bored, offended, roll my eyes too much, or just whatever! then i will not read it. It goes in the abyss of my collection and i will not touch it except maybe years later when i ponder if maybe my opinions will change on it. I think i must be a weirdo for doing this. For the non-weirdos, why do you keep reading and also engaging with discussion about it? What’s it like? How does it make you feel? Is there a bonus for doing this that i am not seeing?
    I don't always really. I've been reading on in of since around the XSE days and some of it had to do with the direction, characterization etc. Other times I lost interest books were cancelled I liked or creators I liked left - OR I just started getting bored with franchise.

Incredible Member

I suppose that when you come back to it, maybe years in the future, you'd have missed some characterisation, or something that remains important to some of the people involved, then you'd have to go, find the issues you missed and catch up. Personally I've not missed an X-Men issue since the 70s, and I don't think I ever will.

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    It reminds me of 'fans' of a football team that do nothing but criticize them and their QB and their head coach and every single pick they make or play they make. Just inexplicable to me!

But, that said, I did buy the first few issues of Youngblood, when Image came out, because I desperately wanted Rob Liefield to be super-successful at his new project, and never, ever come back to get his filthy paws on my beloved New Mutants again!

That didn't work. He came crawling back to Marvel a decade later, but at least got saddled with some Avengers I was less interested in at the time.

But generally, I skip stuff I don't want to read. Even when I get all of a crossover, for instance, like with the recent Swords event, I skipped the Cable and Wolverine books, because they aren't my cup of tea. I'll do the same during this Gala crossover.
    Yeah. I didn’t think of that. I guess we all do that to some extent.

In the defense of some people , The X-men now and The X-men in past are vastly different things. A bunch of people want the X-men the way it was in the past.

The only thing tho is the X-men didn't turn into something different overnight but that is a different topic

I don't hate the X-Men, I'm mostly just disappointed. I haven't read an issue immediately after picking it up since No 11 or 12.
    Does it need doing?
    Yes.
    Then it will be done.

I agree with OP. It’s even most curious when you throw in the fact that some people who dislike the books they read pirate them. So they steal something they don’t like and consume the o product. Very Curious indeed.

I admit I dislike the current run. So I simply stopped reading after HOX. any comments I have on the message board are from pictures people post or discussions brought up.
    Your favorite superhero- the one you visit these forums to talk about. Would they talk to others the way you do on this message board?

Spectacular Member Solitaryhawk's Avatar

It's a great question!

I've been collecting the X-Men for a looong time. And by long I mean I got the original Dark Phoenix Saga (Uncanny X-Men #129-138, 1980) run when it came out - All poly-bagged and acid-free boards. I'm pretty proud of them but I'll be honest and say I don't own all the X-Men comic issues since that date. There are serious gaps in ALL my collections and, for me, it's based purely on the quality of the art. Dave Cockrum? John Byrne? Loved them! Paul Smith? Dropped the series for his entire run. Rinse and repeat. I don't pay for the author and I've never dropped a run because the writers changed hands, which happens almost as frequently on some lines. With the cost of comics today (I whine as a Gen-X), I want to see quality work.

Fantastic Member

The only time I hated X-Men was the dark ages of Morrison, Casey, and Austen. Casey and Austen were just bad, but I honestly straight up hated Morrison. That did not at any point feel like X-Men. And that did make me stop reading for years. Though the era before that kind of did too. From the Twelve on it was just bad.

I dislike Bendis but most of it was just don't care. Feels like for years it's just been going through the motions.

I'll always want to follow the books after growing attached over the years. Though not as interested depending on what's happening.

I'm still under the impression the current run is a breath of fresh air. It's not perfect but at least it feels interesting again. I'd still much rather Hickman focus on characters and the smaller things but it's not happening. I'd really like to know who all is resurrected and see some of the reunions.

Because I used to like them, and I want to like them again.

I just don't like them now.

Extraordinary Member Silver Fang's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Grey View Post
    I agree with OP. It’s even most curious when you throw in the fact that some people who dislike the books they read pirate them. So they steal something they don’t like and consume the o product. Very Curious indeed.

I admit I dislike the current run. So I simply stopped reading after HOX. any comments I have on the message board are from pictures people post or discussions brought up.
    This is where I am. Chime in from time to time, but I am not really invested in anything that's being done. I hope to be again one day, but it ain't today, nor the last 2 years. lol Technically 3 years.

Extraordinary Member

There are plenty of runs I drop and never come back. Sometimes I drop them and try them again. X-Men is harder for me to drop completely because as a kid the mutants were the main characters I liked and no other book can ever interest me the way an X-Men book can. As someone else mentioned, there is an element of collecting. So even if at some point I might dip out, I just end up grabbing a few months of back issues and catch up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hizashi View Post
    I don't hate the X-Men, I'm mostly just disappointed. I haven't read an issue immediately after picking it up since No 11 or 12.
    Yeah, the OP is pretty generalizing. Either it is addressing the two people here who actually hate read it, or it is just throwing shade at any one who does not praise bad stories. And this is not even an X-Men thing (like the other poster who thinks this is about people hate X-Men 'for reasons') because plenty of people keep reading Spencer's Amazing Spider-Man and say how bad it is, or Aaron's Avengers. People keep reading Batman and complaining. You could probably pick any title and someone is reading it and complaining.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey View Post

I can guarantee you more people on these boards who love all the new X-Men stuff are pirating it than are buying it.