Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
Results 61 to 75 of 126
  1. #61
    Extraordinary Member Hizashi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    Austin
    Posts
    5,116

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cane_danko View Post
    Back and forth criticisms are fine. Most “criticisms” are usually general attacks on the work. For the 90’s xmen i always see people say “it’s too convoluted”. Like somehow they are right because some youtuber broke it down in a way they like and then other people start saying it. They fail to realize there is so much nuance to be had in these discussions and general criticisms like that are lazy and really do nothing except as a service to annoy me. This is just one example. I speak in regards to the people who think these mic drops explanations are suppose to take away my enjoyment from something. It also goes the other way around. I am not the biggest fan of grant morrison. I will even say that cassandra nova’s origin is stupid. I could use this as a means to “prove” why she is the stupidest character in marvel comics. This fails to address many things, like for instance, a character’s origin is only one small part of their character. The biggest takeaway though is it makes me a complete ass for trying to prove its garbage when other people really get a lot out of it. They can be inspired, or any number of positive emotions. Real life is hard and sometimes these small pleasures are what get us through the day. I have to even tell myself this sometime when people are going in hard on criticism to something i adore because yeah i don’t know what that person is going through and experiencing. Maybe a bad day? Though my shade is being thrown more in the direction to people who don’t really fall under that category. They are the ones that just want there to be one truth in fandoms and thats “x is good and z is ass” like somehow they are the arbiters of what the rest of us are suppose to enjoy.
    Oh, I've been upfront about my love of Morrison's work while fully aware of their many flaws, New X-Men included.

    I think nuance is revealed throughout a conversation, I can't start a discussion with you by frontloading all of my issues with a given narrative, I think it's sorta necessary to start with a general criticism.

    Escapism and enjoyment from these books are important, and I agree people shouldn't try to just ruin it for others; by that same token, there can be some who take any criticism of a given narrative as wholly undeserved and behave like they are the arbiters of what everyone is supposed to enjoy.
    Does it need doing?
    Yes.
    Then it will be done.

  2. #62
    Extraordinary Member Hizashi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    Austin
    Posts
    5,116

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Slicknickshady View Post
    Because you hope it’s good!

    I don’t buy every issue released hoping it sucks. But so far all the stuff since Hickman has took over has except Way Of X. They Ruined Moira. Outside of a few Kurt and Kitty moments and Way Of X. It’s all trash. Eye Boy has been written terrible by Leah. Sunspot is trash again. But not shocked since Hickman destroyed Canonball back in the day by putting him with Smasher. Emma Frost is trash currently. I could go on and on.



    I can’t wait till it does. So bad it needs to burn!
    Was Cannonball being with Smasher a negative development? I missed that, I thought that was a generally benign thing?

    Yeah, I agree about picking up a book in the hopes it'll be good, I'm gonna give the upcoming X-Men relaunch a shot.
    Does it need doing?
    Yes.
    Then it will be done.

  3. #63
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    2,599

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Slicknickshady View Post
    Because you hope it’s good!

    I don’t buy every issue released hoping it sucks. But so far all the stuff since Hickman has took over has except Way Of X. They Ruined Moira. Outside of a few Kurt and Kitty moments and Way Of X. It’s all trash. Eye Boy has been written terrible by Leah. Sunspot is trash again. But not shocked since Hickman destroyed Canonball back in the day by putting him with Smasher. Emma Frost is trash currently. I could go on and on.



    I can’t wait till it does. So bad it needs to burn!
    You're just saying buzz words. I would like you to articulate how Hickman exactly ruined Moira, and how Cannonball was "destroyed" by having a wife and kid, and how Sunspot and Emma are "trash" under Hickman especially since Sunspot was pretty much a non entity in the X-books up until recently and Emma was gaslighted by writers and devolved into a incompetent Scott obsessed villain before Hickman so explain to me how Emma is "trash" now when she is objectively in a better position narratively than she has been in years.

  4. #64
    Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    6,436

    Default

    It's not as though every other era/run has been met with 100% glowing reviews and appreciation. Even Lord Claremont's run/era had its vocal detractors (going by the letters pages). It's the nature of the beast made more pervasive with the internet and social media in 2021.

    I understand the criticisms. Do I agree with all of them? No. But I can certainly see where and why some might feel and think differently. I simply don't care to read the same vitriolic rhetoric day after day, week after week, month after month. It's so you cannot go into an appreciation thread and actually appreciate the issue/character/story in hand before someone pops in to "harsh the fun". "Jean's green dress is hideous and she has no agency. HiX-Man is boring and has no idea what he's doing. These are not the X-Men." Twenty plus issues later...same singers, same song, slightly different words.

    Again, criticisms and opinions are valid...but Oh gawd man! Gi' we a different song, nah? Someting actually worth listening to.
    We are MUTANT...One people. One tribe. One family...Krakoa and Arakko, FOREVER!!!

  5. #65
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    2,599

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Devaishwarya View Post
    It's not as though every other era/run has been met with 100% glowing reviews and appreciation. Even Lord Claremont's run/era had its vocal detractors (going by the letters pages). It's the nature of the beast made more pervasive with the internet and social media in 2021.

    I understand the criticisms. Do I agree with all of them? No. But I can certainly see where and why some might feel and think differently. I simply don't care to read the same vitriolic rhetoric day after day, week after week, month after month. It's so you cannot go into an appreciation thread and actually appreciate the issue/character/story in hand before someone pops in to "harsh the fun". "Jean's green dress is hideous and she has no agency. HiX-Man is boring and has no idea what he's doing. These are not the X-Men." Twenty plus issues later...same singers, same song, slightly different words.

    Again, criticisms and opinions are valid...but Oh gawd man! Gi' we a different song, nah? Someting actually worth listening to.
    Couldn't agree more. It's sad I have to actively avoid some of my favourite appreciation threads because it's basically turned into a cesspit of negativity.

  6. #66
    Astonishing Member TheDeadSpace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Posts
    2,318

    Default

    I usually just stick to what I enjoy. I might end up with a small pickup list at times, but that's fine with me. Occasionally I follow recommendations, but those don't always end well.

    That being said I like the X-Men, I just might not be too interested in what they're currently doing. If I didn't like them, I probably wouldn't be here.
    "This is starting to sound like a bad comic book plot"
    -Spider-man

    ďEvil is evil...lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same."
    -Geralt of Rivia

  7. #67
    Spectacular Member Cane_danko's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2020
    Posts
    201

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Devaishwarya View Post
    It's not as though every other era/run has been met with 100% glowing reviews and appreciation. Even Lord Claremont's run/era had its vocal detractors (going by the letters pages). It's the nature of the beast made more pervasive with the internet and social media in 2021.

    I understand the criticisms. Do I agree with all of them? No. But I can certainly see where and why some might feel and think differently. I simply don't care to read the same vitriolic rhetoric day after day, week after week, month after month. It's so you cannot go into an appreciation thread and actually appreciate the issue/character/story in hand before someone pops in to "harsh the fun". "Jean's green dress is hideous and she has no agency. HiX-Man is boring and has no idea what he's doing. These are not the X-Men." Twenty plus issues later...same singers, same song, slightly different words.

    Again, criticisms and opinions are valid...but Oh gawd man! Gi' we a different song, nah? Someting actually worth listening to.
    I am with you 100% on this. It just gets old after a while and criticisms tend to turn into complaints.

  8. #68
    Extraordinary Member Hizashi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    Austin
    Posts
    5,116

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Devaishwarya View Post
    It's not as though every other era/run has been met with 100% glowing reviews and appreciation. Even Lord Claremont's run/era had its vocal detractors (going by the letters pages). It's the nature of the beast made more pervasive with the internet and social media in 2021.

    I understand the criticisms. Do I agree with all of them? No. But I can certainly see where and why some might feel and think differently. I simply don't care to read the same vitriolic rhetoric day after day, week after week, month after month. It's so you cannot go into an appreciation thread and actually appreciate the issue/character/story in hand before someone pops in to "harsh the fun". "Jean's green dress is hideous and she has no agency. HiX-Man is boring and has no idea what he's doing. These are not the X-Men." Twenty plus issues later...same singers, same song, slightly different words.

    Again, criticisms and opinions are valid...but Oh gawd man! Gi' we a different song, nah? Someting actually worth listening to.
    Quote Originally Posted by loke13 View Post
    Couldn't agree more. It's sad I have to actively avoid some of my favourite appreciation threads because it's basically turned into a cesspit of negativity.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cane_danko View Post
    I am with you 100% on this. It just gets old after a while and criticisms tend to turn into complaints.
    Finding that in appreciation threads, I'm with y'all. Stepping into a thread like this, or the "What do you think of Hickman's Era" thread then those criticisms should be expected and actually contended with. Certainly bald complaints and harsh hate-comments can be ignored, but in their proper place criticisms should be welcomed.
    Does it need doing?
    Yes.
    Then it will be done.

  9. #69
    Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    6,436

    Default

    If only it was confined to the threads where-in they speak directly of and about such criticisms. Alas!
    We are MUTANT...One people. One tribe. One family...Krakoa and Arakko, FOREVER!!!

  10. #70
    Extraordinary Member Hizashi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    Austin
    Posts
    5,116

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Devaishwarya View Post
    If only it was confined to the threads where-in they speak directly of and about such criticisms. Alas!
    haha, yeah, that's fair.
    Does it need doing?
    Yes.
    Then it will be done.

  11. #71
    Spectacular Member Cane_danko's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2020
    Posts
    201

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hizashi View Post
    Finding that in appreciation threads, I'm with y'all. Stepping into a thread like this, or the "What do you think of Hickman's Era" thread then those criticisms should be expected and actually contended with. Certainly bald complaints and harsh hate-comments can be ignored, but in their proper place criticisms should be welcomed.
    I mean i do bust people’s balls about hickman. I try to reserve this though to people who are just being overly dramatic as i do think everyone is entitled to their own opinions and really its not my place to tell someone else what they should like or dislike. Hell, there are plenty of other writers i like that people trash all the time like brian michael bendis and rick remender. It is just the nature of the beast though. I do think that comic book fans, and more specifically xmen fans, should be more appreciative of bringing in new fans to the fold as the whole premise of the xmen is accepting others despite our differences. Its a major turn off though when there is a ton of vitriol being thrown around.

  12. #72
    Astonishing Member Rang10's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2020
    Posts
    2,697

    Default

    Bringing imaginary new fans while pissing old fans is bad. been there and done that

  13. #73
    Astonishing Member Grey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    3,184

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cranger View Post
    There are plenty of runs I drop and never come back. Sometimes I drop them and try them again. X-Men is harder for me to drop completely because as a kid the mutants were the main characters I liked and no other book can ever interest me the way an X-Men book can. As someone else mentioned, there is an element of collecting. So even if at some point I might dip out, I just end up grabbing a few months of back issues and catch up.

    Yeah, the OP is pretty generalizing. Either it is addressing the two people here who actually hate read it, or it is just throwing shade at any one who does not praise bad stories. And this is not even an X-Men thing (like the other poster who thinks this is about people hate X-Men 'for reasons') because plenty of people keep reading Spencer's Amazing Spider-Man and say how bad it is, or Aaron's Avengers. People keep reading Batman and complaining. You could probably pick any title and someone is reading it and complaining.

    I can guarantee you more people on these boards who love all the new X-Men stuff are pirating it than are buying it.
    Iím sure youíre right. At least pirating (stealing) something you like makes sense to me logically. I donít get stealing something one doesnít even like.

    I donít condone either, for the record. (Pirating whether like or dislike)
    Your favorite superhero- the one you visit these forums to talk about. Would they talk to others the way you do on this message board?

  14. #74
    Spectacular Member Cane_danko's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2020
    Posts
    201

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rang10 View Post
    Bringing imaginary new fans while pissing old fans is bad. been there and done that
    Ah, well i am glad you got the scoop on the fandom. You seem like a real resourceful guy.

  15. #75
    see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    2,304

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cane_danko View Post
    Back and forth criticisms are fine. Most “criticisms” are usually general attacks on the work. For the 90’s xmen i always see people say “it’s too convoluted”. Like somehow they are right because some youtuber broke it down in a way they like and then other people start saying it. They fail to realize there is so much nuance to be had in these discussions and general criticisms like that are lazy and really do nothing except as a service to annoy me. This is just one example. I speak in regards to the people who think these mic drops explanations are suppose to take away my enjoyment from something. It also goes the other way around. I am not the biggest fan of grant morrison. I will even say that cassandra nova’s origin is stupid. I could use this as a means to “prove” why she is the stupidest character in marvel comics. This fails to address many things, like for instance, a character’s origin is only one small part of their character. The biggest takeaway though is it makes me a complete ass for trying to prove its garbage when other people really get a lot out of it. They can be inspired, or any number of positive emotions. Real life is hard and sometimes these small pleasures are what get us through the day. I have to even tell myself this sometime when people are going in hard on criticism to something i adore because yeah i don’t know what that person is going through and experiencing. Maybe a bad day? Though my shade is being thrown more in the direction to people who don’t really fall under that category. They are the ones that just want there to be one truth in fandoms and thats “x is good and z is ass” like somehow they are the arbiters of what the rest of us are suppose to enjoy.
    This is an amazing post, I wish it could give it a hundred "likes"

    I get that some are passionate about things but what does one gain by ruining it for others?

    Let people love what they want, regardless if you like it or not.
    Last edited by charliehustle415; 05-02-2021 at 08:33 PM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •