Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Is it wrong that I want to see Krakoa burn??

Quote Originally Posted by cranger View Post
    I can guarantee you more people on these boards who love all the new X-Men stuff are pirating it than are buying it.
    Not just on these boards. I've seen dozens of social media conversations that boil down to:
    "Hey, are the Hickman X-Men any good?"
    "It's great! Check it out!" -drops link to HowToReadFreeComicsOnlineDotCom-
    Last edited by Anduinel; 05-01-2021 at 06:53 PM.

I'm with you. After Death of X, the X-men had reached a completely unreadable level for me and I didn't bother with Rosenberg era. I just skimmed the main titles to keep up with what was going on.

I also fundamentally do not understand people who keep buying issues of run or titles they don't like for the sake of being a "completionist". Everyone is entitled to spend their money whoever they want, but logically it makes no sense whatsoever. Why keep buying something you don't like? You're literally keeping the plug on something you hate.
    Last edited by frostedemma; 05-01-2021 at 07:28 PM.

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

I only dislike certain story tropes.

For example, I hate story tropes that are overly cynical; so I avoid storyline that revels in death and suffering a la the last volume of Uncanny.

I also dislike stories that have no overall structure with no definitive goal; surprisingly Hickman's X-Men is starting to fit the bill (but I love him so he has more runway with me).

But these dislikes never have me hating the characters, I will always love them until I die, I just dip in and out depending on storylines

Quote Originally Posted by Grey View Post
    I agree with OP. It’s even most curious when you throw in the fact that some people who dislike the books they read pirate them. So they steal something they don’t like and consume the o product. Very Curious indeed.

I admit I dislike the current run. So I simply stopped reading after HOX. any comments I have on the message board are from pictures people post or discussions brought up.
    Someone took those anti pirating ads from the 2000's a bit too seriously.

It makes perfect sense for someone to not financially support something they don't like. What's nonsensical is spending your hard earned money on something you hate, literally rewarding a multimillions corporation for putting out products you don't like.

There are plenty of runs I drop and never come back. Sometimes I drop them and try them again. X-Men is harder for me to drop completely because as a kid the mutants were the main characters I liked and no other book can ever interest me the way an X-Men book can. As someone else mentioned, there is an element of collecting. So even if at some point I might dip out, I just end up grabbing a few months of back issues and catch up.

Yeah, the OP is pretty generalizing. Either it is addressing the two people here who actually hate read it, or it is just throwing shade at any one who does not praise bad stories. And this is not even an X-Men thing (like the other poster who thinks this is about people hate X-Men 'for reasons') because plenty of people keep reading Spencer's Amazing Spider-Man and say how bad it is, or Aaron's Avengers. People keep reading Batman and complaining. You could probably pick any title and someone is reading it and complaining.

I can guarantee you more people on these boards who love all the new X-Men stuff are pirating it than are buying it.
    Hate watching/reading is a thing, people want to keep up with their favourite character/team but don't want to directly support a product they don't like so they read it online. In some cases, if you want to be up to date with whats going on in a certain universe, say like dc or general marvel universe, you have to read Batman (since apparently Gotham going to **** now affects the entirety of dc) or the Avengers.

I didn't read King in Black except for return of the valkyries and I had no idea what was going on when I was reading Sword or Spider-man tie in issues since I had to interest in the story whatsoever I went and read it online.

Pirating comics is just like pirating films/tv show or music (rip limewire), plenty of people who love a movie or show pirate it instead of buying it. It nots a contradiction

The thing is that comics are a serial work, comics are hard to drop a franchise completely;

There is always the "how do you know it is awful if you aren't reading it?" then you read it and thinks it is awful then people complain that you should drop it. Rinse and repeat

Quote Originally Posted by Anduinel View Post
    Not just on these boards. I've seen dozens of social media conversations that boil down to:
    "Hey, are the Hickman X-Men any good?"
    "It's great! Check it out!" -drops link to HowToReadFreeComicsOnlineDotCom-
    Then get mad when boks get cancelled and sales are bad.
    Last edited by Rang10; 05-01-2021 at 07:37 PM.

Mighty Member

I don't anymore. I just lurk these boards now to see what new level of contrived Hickboi's steering the X-Books towards.

By the time I dropped all my pulls, this forum became more entertaining than the books themselves.
    Let your wallet talk.
    Never forget, Cyke fans~ https://twitter.com/i/status/1246248602768486402
    Jean had more presence in death than Cyke in Hickman's entire run.
    Hickman succeeded where 2010s Marvel didn't: make the X-Men villainous and irrelevant.
    Hilariously, the X-Men have now fully embraced mutant supremacy and racism against humans.
    For other Cyke-centered stories by a Cyclops fan: https://www.fanfiction.net/s/1008144...ffle-or-Boogie

Quote Originally Posted by Rang10 View Post
    The thing is as a serial work, comics are hard to drop a franchise completely;

There is always the "how do you know it is awful if you aren't reading it?" then you read it and thinks it is awful then people complain that you should drop it. Rinse and repeat

The thing is that only physical issues count as sales and pretty much only in North America and England are comic shop easily accessible. If you live in mainland Europe, Latin America, Africa or Asia, good luck finding physical single issues is if you don't live in the capital or economic capital. And even if you happen to live in a major city with a comic shop, the import price makes it that a comic issue that cost $4-5 in the US can easily cost $10-15 in the rest of the world. If you don't have access to a comic shop there is literally no way for you to support a comic you like since Marvel doesn't consider digital sales as sales for some weird reason. So reading the comic on comixcology or readcomicsonline literally makes no difference whatsoever.

Where did you read that Marvel doesn't count digital sales? My understanding was that digital sales typically just don't make up enough of total sales to move the needle at all.

Quote Originally Posted by frostedemma View Post
    The thing is that only physical issues count as sales and pretty much only in North America and England are comic shop easily accessible. If you live in mainland Europe, Latin America, Africa or Asia, good luck finding physical single issues is if you don't live in the capital or economic capital. And even if you happen to live in a major city with a comic shop, the import price makes it that a comic issue that cost $4-5 in the US can easily cost $10-15 in the rest of the world. If you don't have access to a comic shop there is literally no way for you to support a comic you like since Marvel doesn't consider digital sales as sales for some weird reason. So reading the comic on comixcology or readcomicsonline literally makes no difference whatsoever.
    Panini publish comics in a lot of countries, it has some delay but it is more affordable than import or even comixology depending on the local currency vs Dollar

There are plenty of runs I drop and never come back. Sometimes I drop them and try them again. X-Men is harder for me to drop completely because as a kid the mutants were the main characters I liked and no other book can ever interest me the way an X-Men book can. As someone else mentioned, there is an element of collecting. So even if at some point I might dip out, I just end up grabbing a few months of back issues and catch up.

Yeah, the OP is pretty generalizing. Either it is addressing the two people here who actually hate read it, or it is just throwing shade at any one who does not praise bad stories. And this is not even an X-Men thing (like the other poster who thinks this is about people hate X-Men 'for reasons') because plenty of people keep reading Spencer's Amazing Spider-Man and say how bad it is, or Aaron's Avengers. People keep reading Batman and complaining. You could probably pick any title and someone is reading it and complaining.

There are concepts and ideas that I like, and HoX/PoX had me ready to see where this was going. As of now? A terrible party idea...
    Does it need doing?
    Yes.
    Then it will be done.

The thing is that comics are a serial work, comics are hard to drop a franchise completely;

YES, exactly. It's circular logic, there's a contingency of fans who can't handle criticism of their preferred books and will jump to any arguments, even contradictory ones, to defend them. Not anyone here necessarily, but you get what I mean.
    Does it need doing?
    Yes.
    Then it will be done.

What if we pick up our comics from our LCS but don't have the book on our pull list and instead purchase unsold copies? How does that affect support of corporate comics?
    Does it need doing?
    Yes.
    Then it will be done.

Panini publish comics in a lot of countries, it has some delay but it is more affordable than import or even comixology depending on the local currency vs Dollar
    I noticed international sellers have been chugging out trades. I have no idea what strong sales abroad for trades means for Marvel publishing.

Last edited by jmc247; 05-03-2021 at 08:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hizashi View Post
    What if we pick up our comics from our LCS but don't have the book on our pull list and instead purchase unsold copies? How does that affect support of corporate comics?
    Comic shops know what their sell-through is, for foot traffic and pull lists. (Well, the ones who last any amount of time do.) If a book is selling well off the rack, they'll keep ordering it. If they have a number of customers asking for it ahead of time, though, they can order with more confidence.