Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hizashi View Post
    What if we pick up our comics from our LCS but don't have the book on our pull list and instead purchase unsold copies? How does that affect support of corporate comics?
    If you are buying shelf copies, and you are buying them each week, your LCS is going to keep ordering as if you had it on a pull list, so it is effectively the same thing: your LCS is going to keep buying as many issues of that comic so the corporation is going to keep getting the money.

Quote Originally Posted by Anduinel View Post
    Comic shops know what their sell-through is, for foot traffic and pull lists. (Well, the ones who last any amount of time do.) If a book is selling well off the rack, they'll keep ordering it. If they have a number of customers asking for it ahead of time, though, they can order with more confidence.
    Quote Originally Posted by cranger View Post
    If you are buying shelf copies, and you are buying them each week, your LCS is going to keep ordering as if you had it on a pull list, so it is effectively the same thing: your LCS is going to keep buying as many issues of that comic so the corporation is going to keep getting the money.
    Thanks y'all. I'm not doing that, I was just curious what the affect might be. I wonder, what if the unsold copy has been on the shelf for a week or two? Or a bulk purchase of back issues?
    Does it need doing?
    Yes.
    Then it will be done.

Thanks y'all. I'm not doing that, I was just curious what the affect might be. I wonder, what if the unsold copy has been on the shelf for a week or two? Or a bulk purchase of back issues?
    If we assume you're able to buy, say, the last four or five issues of a book in one go, that's probably a sign that the shop overestimated the demand and have already adjusted their orders accordingly. They'd be happy that you cleared out the shelf space, but wouldn't up future orders unless you asked to put it on your pull list.

Incredible Member Lady Midnight's Avatar

I only read the books I want. I tend to avoid titles that I don't find interesting.
    My flag is bacon.

Mighty Member

I think some confuse criticism with hate. x-fans are not a hivemind and if some fans choose to point out some things that irk them about Hickman's run so be it. Did all the x-fans who hated Rosenberg's run stop reading the book, no they kept reading and posted on this very board what didn't like. Just because one is a fan of the X-men doesn't mean they have to like every storyline or direction of the book. Readers are free to post everything they like or love about Hickman's run and Krakoa as a whole. And likewise readers are free to post all the problems and criticisms they have as well. So long as all remain respectful to one another it's all good.

Usually I drop a bad comic. If it's bad enough(one more day) it might take years before I return. It might also cause permanent damage.

With Excalibur it's so bad that it's helping me to understand what it is I'm looking for in comics. More then that it's also a good experience in understanding bad creative decisions and their consequences. Witch of course is not to say it's all bad. It's just fascinating bad when it is.

Mostly I follow characters so that affect me too. Art is secondary to writing.

Astonishing Member Lucyinthesky's Avatar

I read the titles I like, especially if they have some of my favorite charecters or the story is very interesting and the ones I don´t like I avoid. I appreciate writting over art.
    "To the X-men then, who don´t die the old fashioned way and no matter how hard we try, none of us die forever" Uncanny X-Men #270, Jean and Ororo

Magneto: The master of magnetism Appreciation 2022
    Polaris: The Mistress of Magnetism Appreciation 2022
    House of M Appreciation 2022

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Midnight View Post
    I only read the books I want. I tend to avoid titles that I don't find interesting.
    Quoted for 100% agreement.
    My Summer rain. My rooftop in Japan. My quiet in the storm. *cries* Al Ewing is GOD...Praise His name! Uplift Him in song! Glorify His works!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Anduinel View Post
    Completionism. I want to know the story of my favorite characters, even if I don't like what's being done with them. If I really and truly hate the book, though, I'll be pirating rather than buying (only had to do it once, though).
    You are right.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by frostedemma View Post
    The thing is that only physical issues count as sales and pretty much only in North America and England are comic shop easily accessible. If you live in mainland Europe, Latin America, Africa or Asia, good luck finding physical single issues is if you don't live in the capital or economic capital. And even if you happen to live in a major city with a comic shop, the import price makes it that a comic issue that cost $4-5 in the US can easily cost $10-15 in the rest of the world. If you don't have access to a comic shop there is literally no way for you to support a comic you like since Marvel doesn't consider digital sales as sales for some weird reason. So reading the comic on comixcology or readcomicsonline literally makes no difference whatsoever.
    Digital sales absolutely count as sales to marvel. They just don’t release those numbers to the public. they don’t release any of the sales numbers to the public. All the sales numbers are from third parties who try to estimate it. They don’t include digital sales because it’s harder for them to guess at than print sales.

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Midnight View Post
    Same for me. I'll read the review threads to get an idea of what happened and sometimes the threads get me back into a book. I had dropped New Mutants but the positive reaction for Vita's first issue made me pick it up.

Quote Originally Posted by anyajenkins View Post
    Digital sales absolutely count as sales to marvel. They just don’t release those numbers to the public. they don’t release any of the sales numbers to the public. All the sales numbers are from third parties who try to estimate it. They don’t include digital sales because it’s harder for them to guess at than print sales.
    Correct. At best we're getting solid estimations.
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

YES, exactly. It's circular logic, there's a contingency of fans who can't handle criticism of their preferred books and will jump to any arguments, even contradictory ones, to defend them. Not anyone here necessarily, but you get what I mean.
    My question is why shouldn’t they do it? There is a very small place on the internet for positivity and being able to enjoy the things you love. Now, most forums, twitter feeds, facebook/discord groups, etc. are either mostly negative or suffer from some sort of toxicity like gatekeeping or forming cliques. It seems to me, if i was a completionist, which i am not, i would try and be nicer to people who enjoy it. For people who are just constantly negative and just raining on everyone’s parade, i admit, i love to tilt these people because its like you come here where we are having a party and just piss in the kool aid. Now, you may not agree with my metaphor, but that’s what it feels like to us. Its not specific to xmen. All fandoms have adopted this form of toxicity. For me, i am sorry but, i just add to it by throwing shade at people who just look down on me and others for finding joy and relating to something.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Cane_danko View Post
    My question is why shouldn’t they do it? There is a very small place on the internet for positivity and being able to enjoy the things you love. Now, most forums, twitter feeds, facebook/discord groups, etc. are either mostly negative or suffer from some sort of toxicity like gatekeeping or forming cliques. It seems to me, if i was a completionist, which i am not, i would try and be nicer to people who enjoy it. For people who are just constantly negative and just raining on everyone’s parade, i admit, i love to tilt these people because its like you come here where we are having a party and just piss in the kool aid. Now, you may not agree with my metaphor, but that’s what it feels like to us. Its not specific to xmen. All fandoms have adopted this form of toxicity. For me, i am sorry but, i just add to it by throwing shade at people who just look down on me and others for finding joy and relating to something.
    Agreed, I am not against criticism, that is very important in debating any form of art or entertainment, but I do think there is a subset of fans the feel if they don't like something no one else should.

Quote Originally Posted by ZuLuLu View Post
    Agreed, I am not against criticism, that is very important in debating any form of art or entertainment, but I do think there is a subset of fans the feel if they don't like something no one else should.
    Agreed. There's a difference between criticism and "this writer is garbage" posts that don't lend anything to the conversation.
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

Quote Originally Posted by Cane_danko View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ZuLuLu View Post
    Maybe that's what it feels like to y'all, but hopefully that isn't how we're all expressing ourselves. I've gone on record as saying I'm glad that there are so many who enjoy this current era, that there's interesting concepts and ideas, and that it's great to see so a wider array of characters being used. I don't see our criticism as peeing in kool aid, that's too extreme for the criticism I've seen, we really are just pointing out something and saying "is this really as great as everyone thinks?" and then discussing the point. I think the distinction between constructive or positive criticism and outright toxic hate-reading is more clear than that.

The point, for me, in these back and forth conversations is to possibly raise awareness of issues that some might be deliberately overlooking, and then on the other hand to find positive aspects that might have been missed because the flaws were too glaring for some.
    Does it need doing?
    Yes.
    Then it will be done.