Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by charliehustle415 View Post
    This is an amazing post, I wish it could give it a hundred "likes"
    Your praise makes it better than any likes or thumbs up! Respect!

Quote Originally Posted by frostedemma View Post
    I'm with you. After Death of X, the X-men had reached a completely unreadable level for me and I didn't bother with Rosenberg era. I just skimmed the main titles to keep up with what was going on.

I also fundamentally do not understand people who keep buying issues of run or titles they don't like for the sake of being a "completionist". Everyone is entitled to spend their money whoever they want, but logically it makes no sense whatsoever. Why keep buying something you don't like? You're literally keeping the plug on something you hate.
    There were anti pirating ads? I don’t ever recall seeing one.

I just see it more simple. I agree 100% someone shouldn’t spend hard earned money on something they don’t like. I just also don’t see why steal it either.

Artists put their heart and soul into their work. I just believe in purchasing their product if it interests me. And if it doesn’t interest me I don’t purchase it.

I never think someone should spend hard earned money on something they don’t like.
    Your favorite superhero- the one you visit these forums to talk about. Would they talk to others the way you do on this message board?

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

Spend your money, pirate it, burrow it from a friend...I don't care.
    Just don't come on-line and try to make everyone else miserable and disagreeable because you can't kick a bad habit that's ruining your well-being. No one is forcing you to read what you think is garbage.
    My Summer rain. My rooftop in Japan. My quiet in the storm. *cries* Al Ewing is GOD...Praise His name! Uplift Him in song! Glorify His works!

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Grey View Post
    Artists put their heart and soul into their work.
    I think a lot of fans forget that there are living, breathing, and feeling human beings behind these pieces of art and it makes me sad when they go so hard to criticize them whilst not truly understanding how much work it takes to produce said piece of art.

I think a little kindness goes a long way, I mean it breaks my heart that prominent creators are now basically recluses because of toxic fandom.

Quote Originally Posted by Devaishwarya View Post
    Just don't come on-line and try to make everyone else miserable and disagreeable because you can't kick a bad habit that's ruining your well-being. No one is forcing you to read what you think is garbage.
    Out of the mouth of babes to the ears of Galactus
    Last edited by charliehustle415; 05-02-2021 at 09:49 PM.

Astonishing Member Lucyinthesky's Avatar

Agreed I think it´s fair to talk about what you don´t like about a story but doing that every week and month seems like a loss of everybodys time and it keeps people who are actually enjoying the story from talking and enjoying them.

I think a lot of fans forget that there are living, breathing, and feeling human beings behind these pieces of art and it makes me sad then they go so hard to criticize them whilst not truly understanding how much work it takes to produce said piece of art.

I think a little kindness goes a long way, I mean it breaks my hear that prominent creators are now basically recluses because of toxic fandom.
    Agreed completely.
    "To the X-men then, who don´t die the old fashioned way and no matter how hard we try, none of us die forever" Uncanny X-Men #270, Jean and Ororo

Magneto: The master of magnetism Appreciation 2022
    Polaris: The Mistress of Magnetism Appreciation 2022
    House of M Appreciation 2022

Quote Originally Posted by Cane_danko View Post
    I mean i do bust people’s balls about hickman. I try to reserve this though to people who are just being overly dramatic as i do think everyone is entitled to their own opinions and really its not my place to tell someone else what they should like or dislike. Hell, there are plenty of other writers i like that people trash all the time like brian michael bendis and rick remender. It is just the nature of the beast though. I do think that comic book fans, and more specifically xmen fans, should be more appreciative of bringing in new fans to the fold as the whole premise of the xmen is accepting others despite our differences. Its a major turn off though when there is a ton of vitriol being thrown around.
    I tend to like what Bendis writes initially.

I agree that we could be more grateful for new readers, but by that token we could also be more understanding of issues had by current and old fans.
    Does it need doing?
    Yes.
    Then it will be done.

I think a lot of fans forget that there are living, breathing, and feeling human beings behind these pieces of art and it makes me sad when they go so hard to criticize them whilst not truly understanding how much work it takes to produce said piece of art.

I think a little kindness goes a long way, I mean it breaks my heart that prominent creators are now basically recluses because of toxic fandom.
    There are definitely some toxic personalities out there, but I think part of it might just be the sheer bombardment. Having a social media presence isn't really optional these days, especially for freelancers. And I'd imagine after you get your thirtieth spoilery question of the day, you'd be ready to throw yourself out of the nearest window, let alone having to deal with actual malicious and bad faith posters.

Well-said

Your favorite superhero- the one you visit these forums to talk about. Would they talk to others the way you do on this message board?

Guggenheim was great. Bunn was great. Rosenberg and crew were great. Hickman isn’t.

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Anduinel View Post
    There are definitely some toxic personalities out there, but I think part of it might just be the sheer bombardment. Having a social media presence isn't really optional these days, especially for freelancers. And I'd imagine after you get your thirtieth spoilery question of the day, you'd be ready to throw yourself out of the nearest window, let alone having to deal with actual malicious and bad faith posters.
    That's totally true, I cannot even imagine how many Monday Morning Quarterbacks inundate creators with how they can make the story better in the future by doing X,Y, & Z.

Quote Originally Posted by loke13 View Post
    You're just saying buzz words. I would like you to articulate how Hickman exactly ruined Moira, and how Cannonball was "destroyed" by having a wife and kid, and how Sunspot and Emma are "trash" under Hickman especially since Sunspot was pretty much a non entity in the X-books up until recently and Emma was gaslighted by writers and devolved into a incompetent Scott obsessed villain before Hickman so explain to me how Emma is "trash" now when she is objectively in a better position narratively than she has been in years.
    Nothing objective in that last sentence. That is you’re opinion. They are making her unrecognizable. No way would Kitty ever be close with someone who tried to Kill her. Come on now.

Quote Originally Posted by Anduinel View Post
    It's a plague. I have known several people who like to write but are uncomfortable with the social scene. Some businesses are worse then others. If you write movie or TV scripts it's very important. Networking is very important here and sadly it's not always the people who are the best at the craft that continue.

Criticism is an invaluable tool but it needs to be used correctly. Something this forum is not managing. It usually ignores the good posts and focus on the bad ones. At least that is my experience.

Until Hickman came along a lot of the X-Books for me were all over the board in terms of personal enjoyment. IvX was some of the worst X-Books I've ever read, if not the worst, but even then there were some enjoyable moments. Rosenberg was decent, I didn't hate his run but it wasn't something I'll ever re-read most likely. Bendis was basically the same issue for several years so it was just boring. I bought most of the X-titles through those runs mostly because I like the characters the best in all of my comic reading. There are plenty of satellite X-Books that I drop because they aren't good or worth the money to me, but usually there is enough good in the main X-Men book to keep me buying. Besides Fallen Angel's I have enjoyed the majority of every current Krakoa era book, X-Factor is getting pretty close to getting dropped, Cable was too but since it's ending I'm going to finish it out. If I truly "hated" a comic I'd never buy it, much less read it even for free.
    You brought back Wolverine

The CBR Community Standards a.k.a how to get along.

I wonder if part of it has to do with us all knowing that even a run we hate is the equivalent of a temporary rough patch. Because thinking on it, comics are the only medium where I wouldn't just punt something I wasn't enjoying on some level just for the sake of seeing what happens. I've dropped books mid-series, walked out of movies, closed out games and never played them again, etc. but with those, there's also no expectation that it's ever going to become any more to my taste. With company-owned comics, though, it's often likely that things will change up again relatively soon, possibly in six issues or less.
    Last edited by Anduinel; 05-02-2021 at 11:12 PM.

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

With the X-line...we're twenty issues in. And nothing has changed other than they've added a couple of new titles.
    HiX-Man is still directing the line.
    Howard is still on Excalibur.
    Krakoa-Mutant Island Nation is still around.
    Jean is still wearing her green dress.

Things aren't going to change up any time soon. Krakoa's downfall, while probably inevitable, is not imminent.
    Again, one can choose to not read the trash or suffer in silence, for however long...because contrary to popular belief, misery does not love company.
    My Summer rain. My rooftop in Japan. My quiet in the storm. *cries* Al Ewing is GOD...Praise His name! Uplift Him in song! Glorify His works!