View Poll Results: Should Scarlet Witch be called The Pretender?

Voters
163. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes! She’s the Pretender!

62 38.04%
  • No! Stop calling her that!

101 61.96%
Page 24 of 41 FirstFirst ... 1420212223242526272834 ... LastLast

Wanda went mad because of the twins dying right, both of whom are living their absolute best life right now, so why would she go mad again? She barely talks to them as they are now? (Which makes M-Day all the more petty Lmao) This whole Wanda being one bad day from wiping out mutants seems a little far fetched. Maybe if they actually pulled up to her house to fight/kill her she'd do it *shrugs*.

Quote Originally Posted by Journey View Post
    Wanda went mad because of the twins dying right, both of whom are living their absolute best life right now, so why would she go mad again? She barely talks to them as they are now? (Which makes M-Day all the more petty Lmao) This whole Wanda being one bad day from wiping out mutants seems a little far fetched. Maybe if they actually pulled up to her house to fight/kill her she'd do it *shrugs*.
    What’s petty about it? It was just an editorial decision to make the xmen world more manageable so they could bring in new writers.

Quote Originally Posted by Cane_danko View Post
    What’s petty about it? It was just an editorial decision to make the xmen world more manageable so they could bring in new writers.
    Well obviously but if you think about it from a character standpoint it's funny. Like Wanda you ultimately butchered a species because you were sad missing your kids & daddy loved that species more than you. Fast-forward ok Wanda sis Daddy is no longer daddy but your kids are back so you win you're good!! And basically she almost never interacts with either of them & expressed her discomfort around them in therapy making the whole thing just petty. Like mutants were still butchered too so like what was the reason? Like at least make an effort sis lives were lost IDK! IDK it's funny to me lmao.
    Last edited by Journey; 05-18-2021 at 11:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zelena View Post
    She was angry towards “her father” who killed her brother… Magneto is no longer her father so the problem is solved.
    So, if her brother was killed by somebody that wasn't her father she'd be okay with them? Seemed weird.

Until they retcon the retcon that turned her from a mutant into a science experiment and make her a mutant again, what else is there to call someone who lived as a mutant (while constantly, canonically looking down on/low-key despising mutants because of her understandable daddy issues) and then not only became the single greatest mutant threat to life on Earth, but in her petty, childish outrage (while STILL believing she WAS a mutant) wiped out the X-Gene across the ENTIRE MULTIVERSE, leading to the single darkest, bleakest, longest most un-fun (in general) to slog through metaplot of the entire X-Franchise, as well as countless tragic, unnecessary, horrifying deaths of innocent young mutants who had nothing to do with her, her daddy issues, or the conflict between her and the various heroes, post-Disassembled. In addition to several canonical deaths of innocents, she stripped people of a significant part of their identity because she had a bad day.

Imagine waking up one day to discover that your gender was no longer appropriate to how you identify, because someone, somewhere, had gotten the power to homogenize gender along a rigidly enforced binary because that's what THEY wanted. Or that you woke up white, because someone, somewhere, had gotten the power to erase all the 'problem' elements, as they saw it. Immutable traits, stripped away or forcibly altered without consent or desire, because one person had a hissy fit of self-loathing and projected hatred.

Now imagine finding out that not only was the person who did that to you a HERO - to your people and others - who world governments/other heroes still defend and protect from any sort of justice for her crime, but a hero who turned out to not even be a part of the community and culture she had identified as a part of before doing more to cripple and destroy them than any number of hateful humans across several decades of writing. Cassandra Nova had caused more direct and purposeful DEATH from a single attack than Wanda's impulsive, poorly written and plotted hissy fit, and so should be demonized and feared as well (perhaps as co-Devil?), but the SCOPE of what Wanda did was orders of magnitude above what Nova did in terms of multiversal ramifications, thus the reactions to it. And to the lack of any kind of accountibility, so far.

So treating her like the mutant version of the Devil, considering her crimes against the mutant race - and remember that ignorance is no excuse for committing crimes - and how they DIRECTLY led into the near eradication of the entire mutant race prior to Krakoa's founding makes perfect sense. I dont LIKE it, because I LIKE Wanda as a character, generally. But whether or not I like what Bendis and other writers did to her character and her relationship with mutants, it's canon that she did what she did. And it's also canon that she refuses to ACTUALLY acknowledge it or deal with it in any responsible way, likely due to her lingering disdain for the people her father chose over her and Pietro. It's a gross, unpleasant situation created by an author with no respect for continuity or character development, and we all have to deal with the fallout. In and out of fiction.

As such, if she actually is ever shown making RATIONAL, MATURE decisions about her part in the near genocide of mutants across multiple realities? Fine, we can talk then. Until that point, though...within the context of the X-Men franchise, she is the Pretender, Krakoa's devil figure. And she earned it by her actions before, on and after M Day.

(All that said, I still buy and read issues featuring her, because as I said, I like her, outside of the context of what Bendis did to her.)
    Last edited by zinderel; 05-18-2021 at 11:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by zinderel View Post
    Until they retcon the retcon that turned her from a mutant into a science experiment and make her a mutant again, what else is there to call someone who lived as a mutant (while constantly, canonically looking down on/low-key despising mutants because of her understandable daddy issues) and then not only became the single greatest mutant threat to life on Earth, but in her petty, childish outrage (while STILL believing she WAS a mutant) wiped out the X-Gene across the ENTIRE MULTIVERSE, leading to the single darkest, bleakest, longest most un-fun (in general) to slog through metaplot of the entire X-Franchise, as well as countless tragic, unnecessary, horrifying deaths of innocent young mutants who had nothing to do with her, her daddy issues, or the conflict between her and the various heroes, post-Disassembled. In addition to several canonical deaths of innocents, she stripped people of a significant part of their identity because she had a bad day.

Imagine waking up one day to discover that your gender was no longer appropriate to how you identify, because someone, somewhere, had gotten the power to homogenize gender along a rigidly enforced binary because that's what THEY wanted. Or that you woke up white, because someone, somewhere, had gotten the power to erase all the 'problem' elements, as they saw it. Immutable traits, stripped away or forcibly altered without consent or desire, because one person had a hissy fit of self-loathing and projected hatred.

Now imagine finding out that not only was the person who did that to you a HERO - to your people and others - who world governments/other heroes still defend and protect from any sort of justice for her crime, but a hero who turned out to not even be a part of the community and culture she had identified as a part of before doing more to cripple and destroy them than any number of hateful humans across several decades of writing. Cassandra Nova had caused more direct and purposeful DEATH from a single attack than Wanda's impulsive, poorly written and plotted hissy fit, and so should be demonized and feared as well (perhaps as co-Devil?), but the SCOPE of what Wanda did was orders of magnitude above what Nova did in terms of multiversal ramifications, thus the reactions to it. And to the lack of any kind of accountibility, so far.

So treating her like the mutant version of the Devil, considering her crimes against the mutant race - and remember that ignorance is no excuse for committing crimes - and how they DIRECTLY led into the near eradication of the entire mutant race prior to Krakoa's founding makes perfect sense. I dont LIKE it, because I LIKE Wanda as a character, generally. But whether or not I like what Bendis and other writers did to her character and her relationship with mutants, it's canon that she did what she did. And it's also canon that she refuses to ACTUALLY acknowledge it or deal with it in any responsible way, likely due to her lingering disdain for the people her father chose over her and Pietro. It's a gross, unpleasant situation created by an author with no respect for continuity or character development, and we all have to deal with the fallout. In and out of fiction.

As such, if she actually is ever shown making RATIONAL, MATURE decisions about her part in the near genocide of mutants across multiple realities? Fine, we can talk then. Until that point, though...within the context of the X-Men franchise, she is the Pretender, Krakoa's devil figure. And she earned it by her actions before, on and after M Day.

(All that said, I still buy and read issues featuring her, because as I said, I like her, outside of the context of what Bendis did to her.)
    I’m not an avengers fan really so her being such a touchy subject for mutants made me love her. Anytime she is mentioned in an xmen comic i grab my popcorn and am like “ooooohhh this is going to be scandalous!”

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    So, if her brother was killed by somebody that wasn't her father she'd be okay with them? Seemed weird.
    I don’t think she considered there were a “them” at that moment.

But it’s only human: is the man dropping bombs on a city imaging the sufferings and devatastion it will cause? He just presses a button.

Wanda uttered just three little words…
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe

Quote Originally Posted by zinderel View Post

Gah I want this as my signature
    I don’t think she considered there were a “them” at that moment.

But it’s only human: is the man dropping bombs on a city imaging the sufferings and devatastion it will cause? He just presses a button.

Wanda uttered just three little words…
    Remind me what war Wanda was fighting?
    GrindrStone(D)

Very X-cited Member TheMutantTheorist's Avatar

Yall on the official Marvel website Wanda and Pietro are still listed as magnetos kids and Polaris' siblings and vice versa if you press on family. I'm not sure if they forgot to update it but the retcon happened a long time ago.

Quote Originally Posted by BroHomo View Post
    Remind me what war Wanda was fighting?
    What about war? I was talking about actions and consequences.
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe

What about war? I was talking about actions and consequences.
    The zombie mistress does finally need some consequences for her actions.
    The Krakoans are EEEvil!

THEY MUST BE STOPPED!

Quote Originally Posted by TheMutantTheorist View Post
    Yall on the official Marvel website Wanda and Pietro are still listed as magnetos kids and Polaris' siblings and vice versa if you press on family. I'm not sure if they forgot to update it but the retcon happened a long time ago.
    TBF when was the last time the Marvel Offical Website had an update?
    Le Suck it, Dolphin!

-God I am so tired.

SCOTT SUMMERS AND EMMA FROST DESERVED BETTER.

Quote Originally Posted by CoCoBandz View Post
    The zombie mistress does finally need some consequences for her actions.
    All any writer has to do is have Wanda ADMIT her overreach, ADMIT her offense, and ASK for forgiveness. Ask how she can START working to make up for her sins. The mutant people may not immediately accept this apology as genuine (nor SHOULD they, at least until she shows her intentions). But the writers can have the Quiet Council, led by Charles and Erik (two people who canonically care for Wanda, and have their OWN failings regarding her), respond with compassion and offer her a reasonable road to eventual redemption. One that involves work and sacrifice on Wanda's part to show that she isn't operating under the burdens of her old traumas and prejudices and genuinely wants to make things right with the people she deeply wronged. Done well, it could be a great metaphor for how world powers need to acknowledge their sins and work to fix what they broke, a message we all need to see more of, right now, when the world is falling apart because world leaders refuse to acknowledge - much less do the WORK required - to deal with their past crimes and awfulness against disenfranchised, disadvantaged people.

And as a bonus, we could be DONE with this ongoing demonization and move into a new era of storytelling not beholden to one of the worst, least respectful to continuity events of the past several decades...but conflict sells more than compassion, so...
    Last edited by zinderel; 05-19-2021 at 10:21 AM.

Or they could double down like they did in Uncanny & have her just be over it & unapologetic I liked that Wanda more.

She's offered to try to help restore mutants powers. She attempted to try to bring the dead mutants back. She helped stop Phoenix's rampage and restart the mutant race. What else do you want her to do?