Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    BANNED

Happy Birthday William “Whilce” Portacio!!!

Comic book writer and artist William “Whilce” Portacio’s love for comics developed at an early age, as he could often be found reading and drawing comics or attending comic book conventions.
    He started his professional career as an inker on Alien Legion and Art Adams’ Longshot in 1984 before launching his three-decade career as a penciler.
    He has been a leading comic book talent ever since his big break on Marvel titles Punisher, X-Factor and Uncanny X-Men in the early ’90s.
    Portacio is credited with creating the popular Uncanny X-Men character Bishop, along with John Byrne and Jim Lee.

In 1992, Portacio was one of the seven founders of Image Comics.
    He also created Wetworks, a team of black ops soldiers in the Wildstorm Universe for Image.

Additionally, Portacio has worked on Marvel, DC and Image titles like Iron Man: Heroes Reborn, Punisher, X Force, Journey Into Mystery, Hulk, Authority, Stormwatch, Batman Confidential, Superman/Batman, Spawn, Darkness and Stone, which was also hailed as the best-selling independent book in 1998.

Astonishing Member Tazpocalapse's Avatar

A great artist.

When I saw that, and the X-Women thread bumped, I already knew you would be posting some art of that guy there, without even reading the poster

BANNED

X-Factor 63-67 is still the hottest thing ever to look at (or close).

Portacio is part of a long tradition of classy and talented Filipino artists like Dezuniga for example. I don't know what kind of art class they got, but they all have this very strong design style.

Search for "best Filipino comic artists" and you'll know what I am talking about.
    Last edited by DDD; 07-08-2016 at 06:31 PM.

BANNED

Regrettably, he became infamous for his late deadlines, and his art in his later years was never as good again as his art in his earlier years.

That's what makes it fun! Ricochet Rita's Avatar

Whilce, thank you so much for being a part of this wonderful trio, together with Annie and Art!

You gave 'Longshot' a distinct quality, organic and vigorous, mainly in the first issues. And, now that nobody's listening, I'll tell you that I rather like you as Adam's inker than Terry Austin, who I find a bit flat and tiring.

Astonishing Member Tazpocalapse's Avatar

One of Bishops X.S.E. partners that came in the past with him resembles Whilce.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Tazpocalapse View Post
    One of Bishops X.S.E. partners that came in the past with him resembles Whilce.
    The other XSE were Whilce and Scott Williams.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Jdsm24 View Post
    Regrettably, he became infamous for his late deadlines, and his art in his later years was never as good again as his art in his earlier years.
    I blame the laziness on him never having to work with a demanding writer. It was great on Wetworks with Mike Carey.

BANNED

Talking Happy Birthday William “Whilce” Portacio!!!

Extraordinary Member Uncanny X-Man's Avatar

Happy birthday Whilce!

He was never one of my favourites admittedly, but he did breathe new life into X-Factor after the horrible Bogdanove years and his page layout and composition was always intriguing. Also like him when he inks/finishes Jim Lee (like that Nanny issue with Remy & Ororo) or has a stronger inker finishing his pencils giving them a "dirtier" look (like Todd McFarlane on Spawn)

I found his recent Uncanny issues with Matt Fraction pretty bad and uninspired, but wouldn't mind him having another go with a different colorist and inker as I know he's capable of much better.

That's what makes it fun! Ricochet Rita's Avatar

Happy birthday, Whilce!

The texture, corporeality and chiaroscuro of your inks are unrivalled.

Quote Originally Posted by psylurker View Post
    He was never one of my favourites admittedly, but he did breathe new life into X-Factor after the horrible Bogdanove years and his page layout and composition was always intriguing.
    I like Bogdanove...

I'm sure he worked with an awful inker --he always had bad luck about it.

BANNED

Talking Happy Birthday William “Whilce” Portacio!!!

Happy Birthday! His lovely art is much appreciated.