Default INTERVIEW: "Duggan's X-Men Forever Alters the Marvel Universe"

https://www.cbr.com/gerry-duggans-x-men-interview/

CBR: You've got an interesting collection of veteran and fan-favorite characters. Who are some team members that get the spotlight early on?

DUGGAN: I thought Sunfire needed something, he's served so many different masters and causes. I love this team. I know what happens over the first year, and they're the perfect circuit of characters to star on the big stage right now. This book and Planet-Size X-Men were collaborations that happened during the lockdown. We weren't sure what the world would look like outside your window, but we worked like hell to make sure that there was something inspirational and hopeful in your X-Men team book.

CBR: Part of the fun of this book has got to be the chance to pit your cast against a variety of antagonists, not just the ones that target mutants. So, what can you tell us about the threats these X-Men will face early on?

DUGGAN: Blowback. There is always blowback. The first 12 issues are pretty carefully constructed to tell the biggest X-Men story we could conceive of. The X-Men are going to change the universe...again.

This book is going to be ginormous and fun, but we're pulling on some very important story threads. New enemies will come into dangerous orbits, and matters will boil over in this book and affect the entire Marvel Universe. It's been a privilege to be asked to have this much fun. I've never had an idea that wasn't made better by Jonathan, our editors, and of course Pepe. We have big stuff planned -- hope you survive the experience!
    Last edited by JB; 07-09-2021 at 10:18 AM.
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

Was a shame they only asked a couple questions. Would have loved to know Duggan’s mindset or pitch for the book, so I could think more about the direction while I wait for issue 2.

Short but good interview.

Happy to see Sunfire will being receiving some spotlight soon.

Also looks like this book won't be just high action but will be involved in significant world-building for the X-Men. Comparable to Planet-Size and the Gala? I guess we'll see.

love the interview i especially love point blank. "the xmen love humans. they love earth." they could just up and leave humanity to fend with the aliens but they don't. Just a really good time to be an x-fan.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

Astonishing Member Celestialbodies's Avatar

Yeah, I've given Duggan crap for Marauders and Cable neither series I enjoyed, however PSX and Xmen 1 has me convinced that he can excel with such large concepts.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jwatson View Post
    love the interview i especially love point blank. "the xmen love humans. they love earth." they could just up and leave humanity to fend with the aliens but they don't. Just a really good time to be an x-fan.
    This, exactly. The X-Men, whatever else one might think of Krakoa or its leadership, are still the best and greatest team of heroes Marvel Universe Earth has ever had, and they are heroes because even when they could just tell humanity to f*** off and fend for itself after all the crap inflicted on mutantkind by them, they're still willing to risk themselves to protect those who need protecting, humans included. All they're really asking, at the end of the day, is for some serious reciprocity from humankind as a whole after everything inflicted on and taken from them thanks to humankind's ignorance, fear, and hate. To paraphrase House of X #6: "We will give you what you need to survive, to better yourselves, even to thrive --- and all we ask in return is that you respect our right to exist, much as we will do for you." Is that too much to ask?
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    This, exactly. The X-Men, whatever else one might think of Krakoa or its leadership, are still the best and greatest team of heroes Marvel Universe Earth has ever had, and they are heroes because even when they could just tell humanity to f*** off and fend for itself after all the crap inflicted on mutantkind by them, they're still willing to risk themselves to protect those who need protecting, humans included. All they're really asking, at the end of the day, is for some serious reciprocity from humankind as a whole after everything inflicted on and taken from them thanks to humankind's ignorance, fear, and hate. To paraphrase House of X #6: "We will give you what you need to survive, to better yourselves, even to thrive --- and all we ask in return is that you respect our right to exist, much as we will do for you." Is that too much to ask?
    Nailed it.

Very excited to see what Duggan has in store for Sunfire, Synch and the whole crew. Also I hope Larraz and Gracia stay on art duties forever.

Quote Originally Posted by Steroid View Post
    Very excited to see what Duggan has in store for Sunfire, Synch and the whole crew. Also I hope Larraz and Gracia stay on art duties forever.
    Agreed. The power that is Larraz and Gracia.