View Poll Results: Should Scarlet Witch be called The Pretender?

Voters
163. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes! She’s the Pretender!

62 38.04%
  • No! Stop calling her that!

101 61.96%
Page 39 of 41 FirstFirst ... 2935363738394041 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by BroHomo View Post
    Was disassembled not build up? Was the kooky relationship with Vision and fake kids not build up?
    No, Disassembled wasn't buildup. It just suddenly made her crazy and killing her friends for no reason and with literally no buildup at all. No reason why a reader of "House of M" should know that, of course, but people who read Wanda in 50 years of comics knew that she wasn't crazy and that her children weren't figments of her imagination.

At least "WandaVision," for its flaws, didn't treat Wanda's relationship with Vision as a sign of her being crazy, because obviously it isn't. Using magic to have kids with Vision, while maybe weird, certainly isn't crazy, particularly in the context of the comics, where she asked Strange if it was OK to use magic to have kids and he said sure.

lol....Yeah that whole story in Avengers wasn't enough? DOOM forced her to say No More Mutants? What book is that in? Page number? Got a scan?
    lol Jebus!
    I mean, the point is that wiping out mutants is something Doom would do if he thought it served his plans, while wiping out mutants is not something Wanda Maximoff would do.

It wouid be great if they came up with a better explanation, or explained why Doom did it, but until they do, we'll just have to go with what we've got.

If someone publishes a story where, out of nowhere, your favorite hero becomes a murderer, you don't go "oh, I guess my favorite hero is a murderer now"... I mean you could, but I don't see why you would. "No more mutants" was completely out of character for Wanda, so someone must have made her do it or there must be some other explanation Marvel hasn't bothered to provide yet.

isn't that what Appreciation threads are for tho? It's not like this is the only thread to talk about the Pretender
    Unfortunately there are zero comics with Wanda in them and that's been the case for a long time now, so the only thing she has going in comics now is the "Pretender" thing, where proud mutant and selfless superheroine Wanda Maximoff is framed for something she couldn't possibly have done.

When she gets to be in comics like she deserves, I'll have something else to talk about, I guess. But arguing about the latest comics with your favorite character is fun, and there's nothing else she has going now, despite her skyrocketing popularity. Marvel hates money, I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Filthy Mutie View Post
    Yes, she is the Pretender.

Thread complete.

Mods, you may now close this thread. Thank you for your service.
    Oh, ignoring the results of the poll… but you’re right: thread could be considered as complete.
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe

I may be slow, but I don't get the choice of a name, so I keep thinking of the tv show.

Fantastic Member

She is called the Pretender because Marvel pretends she appears in comics with variant covers and with mentions here and there, when she does not actually appear at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Starfish View Post
    I may be slow, but I don't get the choice of a name, so I keep thinking of the tv show.
    I thought about it too and Elvis…
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe

"Comics journalism"? Filthy Mutie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Zelena View Post
    Oh, ignoring the results of the poll… but you’re right: thread could be considered as complete.
    The poll is irrelevant. She is the Pretender. My condolences for your loss.

Quote Originally Posted by gurkle View Post
    I mean, the point is that wiping out mutants is something Doom would do if he thought it served his plans, while wiping out mutants is not something Wanda Maximoff would do.
    For five years though, she was fully responsible. The whole "Doom did it" came years after.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by autbey View Post
    For five years though, she was fully responsible. The whole "Doom did it" came years after.
    Yeah, I know, I'm just saying that even during the years when she was considered to be fully responsible, her fans didn't accept it, because it was so out of character for her to do something like that. If our favorite hero becomes a murderer for no reason, we're not just going to accept that she's a murderer rather than just that she was written out of character for one story, no matter how famous that story is.

It's possible to make heroes do something bad and for their fans to accept it. Fans of Jean Grey accepted Dark Phoenix and fans of MCU Wanda accepted her bad deeds in "WandaVision," because they both made the case for why the character would do something like that.

"No more mutants" has so little buildup that it doesn't make any sense to people who liked the character from her first 50 years of comics.

Fantastic Member

Does this mean she will be appearing in IDW's Transformers comics as a Pretender? I mean, that seems more likely and interesting than her appearing in any Marvel comics.

Quote Originally Posted by gurkle View Post
    Yeah, I know, I'm just saying that even during the years when she was considered to be fully responsible, her fans didn't accept it, because it was so out of character for her to do something like that. If our favorite hero becomes a murderer for no reason, we're not just going to accept that she's a murderer rather than just that she was written out of character for one story, no matter how famous that story is.

It's possible to make heroes do something bad and for their fans to accept it. Fans of Jean Grey accepted Dark Phoenix and fans of MCU Wanda accepted her bad deeds in "WandaVision," because they both made the case for why the character would do something like that.

"No more mutants" has so little buildup that it doesn't make any sense to people who liked the character from her first 50 years of comics.
    It wasnt out of character; she was insane. Anyone can do irrational things when they've had a complete mental breakdown, which Wanda had had.

Im not sure IA on the DP and that story making cases for why Jean did what she did. She too was insane and destroyed a star not thinking of the consequences. There was nothing rational about her actions. There was zero buildup to the D'bari genocide. It was a side effect of other things that were going on and they were completely irrelevant to Jean. If we are going to compare the mutant genocide ot that, then it really didnt need much buildup going into it. It actually had more as it was a followup to what we saw with Wanda in Excalibur which of course was a followup to her killing a few Avengers in Disassembled and being established as a ticking time bomb

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    It wasnt out of character; she was insane. Anyone can do irrational things when they've had a complete mental breakdown, which Wanda had had.

Im not sure IA on the DP and that story making cases for why Jean did what she did. She too was insane and destroyed a star not thinking of the consequences. There was nothing rational about her actions. There was zero buildup to the D'bari genocide. It was a side effect of other things that were going on and they were completely irrelevant to Jean. If we are going to compare the mutant genocide ot that, then it really didnt need much buildup going into it. It actually had more as it was a followup to what we saw with Wanda in Excalibur which of course was a followup to her killing a few Avengers in Disassembled and being established as a ticking time bomb
    It was both out of character and being possessed had driven her insane. But I hate comics making insanity = doing evil things. They need to let that trope die in a fire.

Wanda did not try to commit genocide before HoM, nor did she have any negative feelings towards mutants. She had negative ones towards Magneto, but it wasn't all like she wanted to wreck his whole life. She just preferred to stay away from him.

Now in retrospect (a retcon) they make her mentally ill. Without a proper diagnosis or anything. It's just slapped on there haphazardly. Because tropes.
    Love is for souls, not bodies.

Not really a loss when the character is more popular than she's ever been because of the MCU. Not many people care about comics.

Extraordinary Member Uncanny X-Man's Avatar

Isn't Franklin Richards the real Pretender though, what with him, well, pretending to be a mutant this whole time?

Quote Originally Posted by Uncanny X-Man View Post
    Isn't Franklin Richards the real Pretender though, what with him, well, pretending to be a mutant this whole time?
    Franklin Richards didn’t seem to be aware neither he wasn’t a mutant: everybody told him he was a mutant.

But maybe Xavier lied…

Yeah Franklin Richards was a child. And Wanda and Pietro were young teens.