View Poll Results: Should Scarlet Witch be called The Pretender?

Voters
163. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes! She’s the Pretender!

62 38.04%
  • No! Stop calling her that!

101 61.96%
Page 20 of 41 FirstFirst ... 1016171819202122232430 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member Lucyinthesky's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Glio View Post
    Remender wrote Rogue and Wanda yelling at Holocaust survivor Magneto that if you kill a Nazi who is starting a mutant and inhuman genocide (Red Skull), you are as bad as a Nazi.

Not even know where to start.
    Agreed add to it Skull was killing people on their face and they had just rescued Magneto from one of his torture chambers, I am still mad about this. kinda glad Magneto and Rogue are not close anymore. It´s not fair to Rogue because she wasn´t written well there but that´s how I feel.
    Last edited by Lucyinthesky; 05-08-2021 at 04:08 PM.
    "To the X-men then, who don´t die the old fashioned way and no matter how hard we try, none of us die forever" Uncanny X-Men #270, Jean and Ororo

Magneto: The master of magnetism Appreciation 2022
    Polaris: The Mistress of Magnetism Appreciation 2022
    House of M Appreciation 2022

Quote Originally Posted by Rang10 View Post
    Wanda was right. Mutants only have powers or some strange body mutations
    No they are united in the way that humanity has treated them forever. I mean my goodness that's the most clear case of the minority metaphor the X-men have. A group of people hated and feared for who they are.

Quote Originally Posted by Outburstz View Post
    No they are united in the way that humanity has treated them forever. I mean my goodness that's the most clear case of the minority metaphor the X-men have. A group of people hated and feared for who they are.
    Correct me if I’m wrong but at this time Wanda was a mutant and still didn’t feel this way.

“No one group owns persecution.” You would give to someone else the power to define you? So what, the humans stop persecuting the mutants and so, there are not mutants anymore?
    The interesting thing was that Wanda wasn’t affiliated with any group that had the label “mutant”. She was free to think what she wanted.
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe

Quote Originally Posted by Lucyinthesky View Post
    Agreed add to it Skull was killing people on their face and they had just rescued Magneto from one of his torture chambers, I am still mad about this. kinda glad Magneto and Rogue are not close anymore. It´s not fair to Rogue because she wasn´t written well there but that´s how I feel.
    That was the era where they were trying their hardest to make Rouge an Avengers stan.

Also just another example of tone deaf Remender doing what he does best.
    The Krakoans are EEEvil!

THEY MUST BE STOPPED!

Remender wrote Rogue and Wanda yelling at Holocaust survivor Magneto that if you kill a Nazi who is starting a mutant and inhuman genocide (Red Skull), you are as bad as a Nazi.

Not even know where to start.
    UGH
    Bunn did his best to fix that in Magneto but the damage was already done...
    I hate Remender's run so much

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Zelena View Post
    Correct me if I’m wrong but at this time Wanda was a mutant and still didn’t feel this way.

“No one group owns persecution.” You would give to someone else the power to define you? So what, the humans stop persecuting the mutants and so, there are not mutants anymore?
    The interesting thing was that Wanda wasn’t affiliated with any group that had the label “mutant”. She was free to think what she wanted.
    To Wanda, powers are not a form of providence. Certainly not a "gift", more a curse.

Quote Originally Posted by Relugus View Post
    To Wanda, powers are not a form of providence. Certainly not a "gift", more a curse.
    She joined a group of super-beings to fight the crime, the Avengers. Without powers, she couldn’t do that.
    And she did more than being a mutant with powers: she trained as a sorceress… If she didn’t like having powers, she would be less proactive.

In the past, having powers was seen in a more balanced manner: it could be a gift, it could be a curse. It depended on events. At the beginning, Wanda’s powers had unexpected effects: it’s normal she was wary about them. Now the ideology is: “be proud to be a mutant no matter what the consequences”.
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe

Don't change the argument. The argument wasn't mutants are the only group to be persecuted the argument was why mutants feel the need to be united.

Because for so long mutants have been persecuted and separate to face those challenges alone. Even if certain mutants never faced those problems directly that doesn't change the fact that they still happened to mutants. For much of their history being a mutant was a sense of shame and danger but now mutants are free to be who they want in peace. Despite the fact that everyone tried to make them feel less than for who they are.

If there are mutants who want to just run around with humans that's their business but if mutants want to be with each other to avoid persecutions, genocide , etc from humans that is not a bad thing

Don't change the argument. The argument wasn't mutants are the only group to be persecuted the argument was why mutants feel the need to be united.

Because for so long mutants have been persecuted and separate to face those challenges alone. Even if certain mutants never faced those problems directly that doesn't change the fact that they still happened to mutants. For much of their history being a mutant was a sense of shame and danger but now mutants are free to be who they want in peace. Despite the fact that everyone tried to make them feel less than for who they are.

If there are mutants who want to just run around with humans that's their business but if mutants want to be with each other to avoid persecutions, genocide , etc from humans that is not a bad thing
    I don’t change the argument: if it’s a need to be on a island to feel safe, why not?

It doesn’t change how you see yourself: mutants are more than mutants, they have other identities… The X-men were united by their belief in a world of peace and justice as well as being mutant. I dislike the idea that being a mutant — and what does it mean anyway? — should be put above everything else.

Quote Originally Posted by CoCoBandz View Post
    That was the era where they were trying their hardest to make Rouge an Avengers stan.

Also just another example of tone deaf Remender doing what he does best.
    I remember in Civil War II there was a time when Carol Danvers said of Magneto "You are that guy online who compares everything to Hitler."

It's like the characters don't know who the hell Magneto is.

I don’t change the argument: if it’s a need to be on a island to feel safe, why not?

It doesn’t change how you see yourself: mutants are more than mutants, they have other identities… The X-men were united by their belief in a world of peace and justice as well as being mutant. I dislike the idea that being a mutant — and what does it mean anyway? — should be put above everything else.
    The safety of mutants is what is being put above everything else. At no point has Krakoa stopped anybody from living their life how they wanted as long as they didn't go against Krakoa.

The mutants have faced waaaaay to many tragedies over the years and have faced to many problems as a people for them to have the luxury of worry about the rest of the world before themselves. When they can help humans they can and have multiple times during the Krakoa era. They are just making sure that from now on mutants will be safe first and foremost so they don't face another extinction threat like M day.

Extraordinary Member

I remember in Civil War II there was a time when Carol Danvers said of Magneto "You are that guy online who compares everything to Hitler."

It's like the characters don't know who the hell Magneto is.
    Or the writers don't care who the characters are. Which many of them don't, at least not in the way long time readers do.

All of these examples of characters speaking about things should just show people that none of those examples actually matter. Writers care about their story, not someone else's. Sure they love to steal some big beat from past stories to prop up their story, but don't expect them to let the details get in the way. Even when writers do try to maintain some continuity in the characterization, which interpretation are they using? There will still be enough stories out there working against them that they just can't let it get in their way. This is why characters sometimes 'regress', or go through a correction. That one page people keep pulling up as defining the character, no writer is caring about.

Extraordinary Member

They are just making sure that from now on mutants will be safe first and foremost so they don't face another extinction threat like M day.
    Nothing they are doing could stop an M day, and an island full of mutants was the key ingredient in the biggest loss of mutant life. Even in Moira's 4th(?) life, a mutant sanctuary was a disaster.

Quote Originally Posted by cranger View Post
    Nothing they are doing could stop an M day, and an island full of mutants was the key ingredient in the biggest loss of mutant life. Even in Moira's 4th(?) life, a mutant sanctuary was a disaster.
    So they shouldn't defend themselves because of the chance they might lose and should instead remain separate to be attacked alone by organized hate groups gotcha. /s

Quote Originally Posted by cranger View Post
    Or the writers don't care who the characters are. Which many of them don't, at least not in the way long time readers do.

All of these examples of characters speaking about things should just show people that none of those examples actually matter. Writers care about their story, not someone else's. Sure they love to steal some big beat from past stories to prop up their story, but don't expect them to let the details get in the way. Even when writers do try to maintain some continuity in the characterization, which interpretation are they using? There will still be enough stories out there working against them that they just can't let it get in their way. This is why characters sometimes 'regress', or go through a correction. That one page people keep pulling up as defining the character, no writer is caring about.
    I mean, it's as easy as not being tone deaf.